Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Why would a city want Kiteboarders

Postby Kitemanmuc » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:41 pm

Hey all,

need some help from our kite community. Looking for strong arguments to present regarding why a city would want to preserve access to kiteboarders. What do kiteboarders give a city? Why is it positive and what interest would a city have in keeping access open on its public beaches.

Any argument are welcome!

Thanks!

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Re: Why would a city want Kiteboarders

Postby kiterocky » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:46 pm

Need only to stay low profile...more student more problem...

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jakemoore » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:48 pm

Its a tough sell unless there are good enough conditions to draw tourism.

I would focus on safe organization to avoid harassing other beach users.

Are you facing a ban? Where?

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Kitemanmuc » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:51 pm

The strong arguments are tough, but if anyone has any good one! :) Id be thrilled. We are fighting for access down here in south florida.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tegirinenashi » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:25 pm

Because it raises quality of life (and, consequently, real estate prices/taxes)?
Attachments
apartments.png

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:41 pm

Because it's the most exciting most fun, best sport in the entire world. Sometimes you want to pitch it so they want to help us kiter because we love it so much. Probably the hardest sell is how Chicago has kept Montrose beach open. The kiters there made every concession they could make, forced kiters to put streamers on their kites, got shut down for years at a time, but thanks to simple persistence (begging) by the local kiters, they were able to keep the launch open.
Last edited by edt on Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ChickenD!ken » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:44 pm

Yeah, that is a tough one. I’m from Copenhagen and I’m lucky to live in a city that does so much for leisure activities. We’ve used old dock/shipyard space to create a cable park (see video) and built man-made beach areas along the old airport road. If you can imagine a skate park style beach front that caters to regular beach goers (see link) on one side and water sports within a lagoon to the other side, that’s basically what it looks like.

If you’ve got none of that to draw from, I suggest proposing some long-term ideas that would convert things like abandoned industrial dock space for something like a cable park and even better, if you have nearby beaches that are not attractive to the general public, looking into how that space could be used for water sports. It’s not a new problem that we (and windsurfers, jetskiiers etc) are seen as a nuisance to the general public, but there are some really good ways to mitigate interactions. I don’t believe you can have it all going on at the same beach at the same time. It’s just not possible and we will lose that battle in the long run. Better to look at ways to limit unwanted situations where ultimately, the kiteboarder is asked to pack it in.

Dropped Pin
near Amager Strand Stien, 2300 København S
https://goo.gl/maps/zMbMHG1DPgP2

https://vimeo.com/208438391

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster

Postby ChickenD!ken » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:56 pm

Kitemanmuc wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:41 pm
Hey all,

need some help from our kite community. Looking for strong arguments to present regarding why a city would want to preserve access to kiteboarders. What do kiteboarders give a city? Why is it positive and what interest would a city have in keeping access open on its public beaches.

Any argument are welcome!

Thanks!
Sorry, to answer your question: cities don’t need kiteboarders per se. They need diversity. In all areas. Leisure activities do not need justification in and of them selves. If there is demand, consolidate it, present your case (added tourism, new cultural dynamic etc) and show your public reps that there is a demand for this. That is argument enough. I live next to a skate park and while I have never skated and see zero utility, I can easily conclude that it gets used a ton and that is enough justification to keep me quiet.

By the way, I think it is a bad idea to ask for the ‘utility argument’ when talking sports and culture. It doesn’t work like that and we all know it.

madworld
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Postby madworld » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:04 am

This location is the largest public staging area for visitors to enjoy a wide range of recreational, environmental educational, and water access experiences: Kite-boarding,sailing, windsurfing, kayaking, canoeing, jogging, walking, nature watching, fishing, and other outdoor activities. These activities will draw up to 10,000 visits per year from throughout the region to the unique marine environment of the South Florida beaches, which will help foster environmental education and increased stewardship of the Natural resources. Water-oriented recreational uses are an integral element of the recreational opportunities that span the south Florida Area and add to the community vitality and quality of life that the citizens of the region enjoy.

You need to read the Florida state constitution, other state, regional and local regulations on public land use and see if they are being followed. In California, we have many protections written into law.
Last edited by madworld on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster

Postby ChickenD!ken » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:05 am

madworld wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:04 am
This location is the largest public staging area for visitors to enjoy a wide range of recreational, environmental educational, and water access experiences: Kite-boarding,sailing, windsurfing, kayaking, canoeing, jogging, walking, nature watching, fishing, and other outdoor activities. These activities will draw up to 10,000 visits per year from throughout the region to the unique marine environment of the South Florida beaches, which will help foster environmental education and increased stewardship of the Natural resources. Water-oriented recreational uses are an integral element of the recreational opportunities that span the south Florida Area and add to the community vitality and quality of life that the citizens of the region enjoy.
A+ on the introductory sell!

Return to “Kitesurfing”