Forum for kitesurfers
bigguy2
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

longer depower line bar mod

Postby bigguy2 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:35 am

I would like to modify a bar with a longer depower line and reattach my my original chicken loop and depower strap. will I now have to lengthen my leaders or outside back lines to make the lines all equal when sheeted in? Is this the right setup and the best way to do it?
thanks

RobMobius
Medium Poster

Postby RobMobius » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:16 am

If I understand you you correctly you want to extend your depower line to give you more depower? If this is the case then you do not want to adjust your steering lines as you will just be negating any depower the extra long depower line will give you. In other words, you will just have made all your kite lines longer and not changed the trim of the kite.

What will happen if you do lengthen your steering lines is you will have more range to sheet the kite in but that will just stall the kite out. It will not increase depower.

Bear in mind that with C shape kites there comes a point where the kite has reached its max depower and making the depower line longer will make no difference. All that will happen is you will lose steering sensitivity.

Another way to achieve a similar depower effect is to leave your depower line as is and lenthen your steering lines. Either by lengthening the leaders or the pigtails.

Have fun

mykrowyre
Frequent Poster

Postby mykrowyre » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:51 pm

This is true, but it still may benefit depending on the current length of your depower line... not all bars are the same.... some have more depower throw than others. If you can get your kite flying on only the front lines, then you have enough depower already...

I rode with my buddy and we were both overpowered on 13s. He was getting lofted all over the place while I stood there comfortably. Both kites were similar in design and aspect ratio, the obvious difference was the depower range... my bar is newer with more depower throw than his older slingshot bar.

kitefrog
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lancing, UK
Gear: Lost Cause 130, LCB Skimboard, Airush flow sle 7m, DNA 9m, Vapor prototype 12m

Postby kitefrog » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:41 pm

DUDE.

Wrong mind set!

I use only 15cm of play on my Airush Center Line. Use the right kite size and you don't need de-power.

My Lift and Lift Pro's over sheet with depower and do stupid things!

Sort out your risk assessment, riding and don't worry about depower :)

Be safe. KF

Tim_
Rare Poster

Postby Tim_ » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:57 pm

Sure if you have the right kite size you won't need to depower any more, but what if he only has the one or 2 kites? I think your idea would work, just only legthen your centre lines.

http://www.watersportforums.com

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:34 am

Tim_ wrote:Sure if you have the right kite size you won't need to depower any more, but what if he only has the one or 2 kites? I think your idea would work, just only legthen your centre lines.

Hi Tim

Like Robin said though there is a point where lengthening the front lines or the depower line just results in not being able to steer the kite.
Too long a depower line also tends to make people ride in the poo man stance.

Tall people with long arms sometimes need to lengthen the depowr line, but they need to be careful not to sheet in beyond a certain point otherwise their kite will be massively oversheeted and will fly backwards and fold up etc. The Slingy stopper balls are good to prevent this, that is why they had one above and one below the bar, on the older 03/04 kites.

C kites only depower a certain amount, after that you lose steering and are potentially creating a very dangerous situation for yourself, by trying to use your one kite in conditions that are too strong.
You would actually benefit more from using shorter lines in stronger winds, but that brings in a whole new set of dynamics to get used to as well.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve McCormack

PS - If you are in Sydney Tim drop in and see us with your bar we will check the tune for you and explain how to do it yourself for free of course.

Tim_
Rare Poster

Postby Tim_ » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:36 am

kitepower wrote:
Hi Tim

Like Robin said though there is a point where lengthening the front lines or the depower line just results in not being able to steer the kite.
Too long a depower line also tends to make people ride in the poo man stance.

Tall people with long arms sometimes need to lengthen the depowr line, but they need to be careful not to sheet in beyond a certain point otherwise their kite will be massively oversheeted and will fly backwards and fold up etc. The Slingy stopper balls are good to prevent this, that is why they had one above and one below the bar, on the older 03/04 kites.

C kites only depower a certain amount, after that you lose steering and are potentially creating a very dangerous situation for yourself, by trying to use your one kite in conditions that are too strong.
You would actually benefit more from using shorter lines in stronger winds, but that brings in a whole new set of dynamics to get used to as well.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve McCormack

PS - If you are in Sydney Tim drop in and see us with your bar we will check the tune for you and explain how to do it yourself for free of course.
Thanks Steve,

But the thread doesn't actually belong to me, it was created by someone else. I can see what you are saying though.

Would it be possible to just lengthen the area of front lines that you can slide your bar up? As in, move the stopper up a bit futher?

p.s. Steve - do you guys stock ocean rodea stuff (specifically the session harness?)? If so, I'd like to buy one! :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”