hugoc
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How to properly use the 5th line?

Postby hugoc » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:22 pm

Hello,

I have a slingshot bar with a 5th line system and I find my self rigging it up all the time and not really using the fifth line. This bar has the ability to lock in the fifth line but I've never used this yet. I've also never used the fith to re-launch the kite.

I have a couple of questions.

1 - In detail what is the proper way to re-launch with the fith?

2 - Does anyone with the same bar actually use the trim cleat to de-power the kite/force it to the edge of the wind window better? Explain this a bit please...

Thanks

kite-dork
Medium Poster

Postby kite-dork » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:53 pm

When relaunching a 5th line kite from the water,you basically pull in enough of the fifth to get the kite on its back,then slowly let out the line,while pointing your bar to one side of the window.You may have to swim still a bit to help it.The kite will travel to the edge of the window similar to regular relaunch and off you go,simple.
As far as trimming it,you can to help you depower the kite,some kites are designed more for this,like the octane.Trimming it off lets you ride with more depower,and keep the kite trimmed properly instead of coming in and readjusting your kite on the 5th line itself.It will also help to stabalize the leading edge if the wind gets gusty./
But really,you dont need it,but its good for safety

viktor
Frequent Poster

Postby viktor » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:03 pm

Another good use of the 5th line is when launching/landing going upwind, swiming upwind etc

redskykiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maumee Bay State Park
Gear: All Slingshot...RPX and UFO

Postby redskykiter » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:44 am

For a 5th line relaunch don't flip it all the way on its back. Pull in enough so the canopy is just past 45 degrees to the water and tension a steering line while letting out 5th as it gets closer to the edge of the window. It seems much more reliable (and faster than flipping to it's back). As far as the trimming of the 5th---Basically trim in when you get overpowered to extend the range. Don't use it to ride a bigger kite than necessary--just use it if you're out and don't want to inflate something smaller right away. A smaller kite will be more fun anyway.

pbbb3
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sandbar
Favorite Beaches: Those with sand preferably
Style: Not too good

Postby pbbb3 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:59 am

I have a question then. Do most ppl use a stopper ring/ball or do they let the 5th when deployed let the bar go all the way to the kite. Also, I removed my stopper ring as a test and the more 5th I pulled in the kite flew up backwards. Now my question is, upon crashing the kite then pulling in meters and meters of 5th and having it relaunch but backwards, is there some trick to pick up the other 4 line slack quick enough to 360 the kite to a forward flying position. Or is that impossible due to the length of 5th being pulled in equaling the amt of slack put into the other 4 lines?

redskykiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maumee Bay State Park
Gear: All Slingshot...RPX and UFO

Postby redskykiter » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:26 am

Slingshot bars have a stopper knot that results in the kite on its back and no further. Usually I ride with a suicide leash and the kite crashes normal--leading edge down. I only ever pull in a meter or two (LE down). If its on its back I don't pull any--just a standard relaunch from here.
If all lines are slack when you start to relaunch you will need a little tension at first.

viktor
Frequent Poster

Postby viktor » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:19 am

pbbb3 wrote:I have a question then. Do most ppl use a stopper ring/ball or do they let the 5th when deployed let the bar go all the way to the kite. Also, I removed my stopper ring as a test and the more 5th I pulled in the kite flew up backwards. Now my question is, upon crashing the kite then pulling in meters and meters of 5th and having it relaunch but backwards, is there some trick to pick up the other 4 line slack quick enough to 360 the kite to a forward flying position. Or is that impossible due to the length of 5th being pulled in equaling the amt of slack put into the other 4 lines?
Yes you could do, but then you hav to put the 5ht line on the TE. Hav a look at SSs SATL or whatever it is called. But to do as you describe...I dont know if that is so smart, it would mean that you have som meters of 5th line getting pulled in very fast and violently.

hugoc
Medium Poster

Postby hugoc » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:32 pm

onlyafour wrote:For a 5th line relaunch don't flip it all the way on its back. Pull in enough so the canopy is just past 45 degrees to the water and tension a steering line while letting out 5th as it gets closer to the edge of the window. It seems much more reliable (and faster than flipping to it's back). As far as the trimming of the 5th---Basically trim in when you get overpowered to extend the range. Don't use it to ride a bigger kite than necessary--just use it if you're out and don't want to inflate something smaller right away. A smaller kite will be more fun anyway.
Thanks for the input - I've heard this mentioned before. I will try it next time I need to re-launch.

A quick question about 5th line tension. I normally try to adjust the fifth so it's taunt when fully powered up (trim all the way out) and fully sheeted in on the bar all the way to the chicken look - any other time it has slack on it - is this correct?

KiteSurfingKen
Frequent Poster

Postby KiteSurfingKen » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:14 pm

I have spent a lot of time with my 5th line and appreciate the benefits it offers. A static 5th line is properly adjusted when there is a small amount of slack in the 5th, the kite is at Full Power (trim) and at zenith. 1-2" of slack is about right. Any less than this and it can adversely affect the handling of the kite. I have added a Cam Cleat to my sheeting strap so I have "On The Fly" adjustment of the 5th line tension (just like a Slingshot bar). When I start to feel overpowered I pull a little tension onto the 5th line and still maintain steering with depower. The relaunch is also useful so you don't have to swim as much. I like the method mentioned where you don't totally flip the kite, but roll and walk it too the edge. As far as the kite flying upside down, this can be avoided by adjusting the stopper ball distance. The Slingshot Knotless stopper ball is my favorite. It can be tricky to find the right distance at first so set it on a light wind day. The ball should be at a distance that allows the kite to roll over, but keeps it from flying upside down. This can also be tricky to set if you use one bar with several different size kites. In that case set it for the largest kite, and be prepared for the smaller ones to fly a little. HTH. Happy winds.
Ken

hugoc
Medium Poster

Postby hugoc » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:01 pm

KiteSurfingKen wrote:I have spent a lot of time with my 5th line and appreciate the benefits it offers. A static 5th line is properly adjusted when there is a small amount of slack in the 5th, the kite is at Full Power (trim) and at zenith. 1-2" of slack is about right. Any less than this and it can adversely affect the handling of the kite. I have added a Cam Cleat to my sheeting strap so I have "On The Fly" adjustment of the 5th line tension (just like a Slingshot bar). When I start to feel overpowered I pull a little tension onto the 5th line and still maintain steering with depower. The relaunch is also useful so you don't have to swim as much. I like the method mentioned where you don't totally flip the kite, but roll and walk it too the edge. As far as the kite flying upside down, this can be avoided by adjusting the stopper ball distance. The Slingshot Knotless stopper ball is my favorite. It can be tricky to find the right distance at first so set it on a light wind day. The ball should be at a distance that allows the kite to roll over, but keeps it from flying upside down. This can also be tricky to set if you use one bar with several different size kites. In that case set it for the largest kite, and be prepared for the smaller ones to fly a little. HTH. Happy winds.
Ken
Ken, thanks for your input.

When you say 1-2" of slack at full power are you all the way sheeted in on the bar (bar pulled all the way to chicken loop)? This seems to affect the tension on the fifth also.

Return to “Kitesurfing”