Forum for kitesurfers
windyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

do kites need a rinse after salt water?

Postby windyboy » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:18 pm

I was on vacation in FL and I used my kites alot so lots of trying new tricks so they are all whitish color should I give them a rinse or just wait until I kite here in IL and wash it there so any tips? :thumb:

screven
Very Frequent Poster

Postby screven » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:44 pm

The salt in salt water will supress mold so it's probably best to let the kite be salty and just brush the sand and dirt off. You can roll a kite up wet with salt water and leaving for a long time without problems but if you did it with fresh water you would get destructive mildew and mold pretty quickly. Some say the salt crystals can damage the seal on the kite material. I haven't found this to be true on my 2 year old kites. Mabey if you keep kites for many years it could be a problem.

chris

ckramer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ckramer » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:47 pm

There are a couple of posts o this topic, if you use the "search" you'll find a lot of replies to your question.

Salt does not damage the kites... neither does fresh water, as long as you let the kites dry properly before folding. I use my kites always in sea water, and rinse them a couple of times a year, afer the season before storing them etc.

I always rinse everything else hough,bar, harness and wetsuit. It pologues the life of your euqipment. Even if salt does not damage the canopy of the kite, it does damage in the long run other materials. In my old sailing club I remember comparing the stuff (ropes fittings etc) of my boat and others that were never rinsed... it makes a difference. Rinsing a kite is a pain in the ass, just leave it and drop it a couple of times when you get back...

randykato
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Cabrinha. Lieuwe, Carved

Postby randykato » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:18 pm

No rinsing necessary.

However, I second ckramer about rinsing other stuff. I rinse all my other gear after each session, bar/lines, harness, vest, booties... It definitely helps stuff last longer, and keeps neoprene from developing that funk.

Richard
Frequent Poster

Postby Richard » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:13 pm

If my kite goes in the water, I rinse it off with fresh water and let it dry completely. It is a hassle to do, but I think salt crystals aren't good for the kite and the stitching. Also, salt attracts moisture, which makes sand stick to kite. This may be no big deal, but I think it is why my kites still look new after a couple of years.

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:41 pm

Hey Richard, can you get me Mitch's email? Would love to get back in touch with him, i worked at Camp Sea Gull about 4.5 years ago and he really helped me out on the beach in Atlantic City, i think i met you as well. PM me please.

To other kiters, Atlantic City is a killer place to kite, and there are so many cute girls, especially in the summer, more girls than men. And it is windy!

eldadgold
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eldadgold » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:49 pm

folding up your kite when it's still wet, salt water or sweet water is not good for your kite ! the color will bleed.
the salt damages the fabric and the stiches but untill it will the sun will do alot more damage...

nova
Rare Poster

Postby nova » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:59 pm

You should really take your kite to the dry cleaner after every session. Or better still give dirty kit to homeless people and buy new kit every session.

I you are so concerned about colour fade then you should become a princess and leave kiteboarding to the boys.

:wink:

Sea&Sun
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sea&Sun » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:04 pm

I just go in salt water. I roll the kites up wet let them sit around for weeks or more and take them out and use them again. Just knock the sand off. Never had a problem with a kite yet. I heard fresh water can cause mold if you roll it up wet.

brikyb
Rare Poster

Postby brikyb » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:09 am

nova wrote:
I you are so concerned about colour fade then you should become a princess and leave kiteboarding to the boys.

:wink:
lol, I'd hope that none of us are too concerned about the color of our kites ("Oh god, that yellow LE completely clashes with my red harness"), but I can understand a guy that might be concerned about retaining some resale value.

Richard, I'm with you. I'll baby my kite if it means I can sell it and buy a nice new kite for the next season.

Return to “Kitesurfing”