Forum for kitesurfers
B-rad Lange
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

kiteboarding has been cancelled

Postby B-rad Lange » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:51 am

ok kiters...in an attempt to save one of the last great Florida Keys riding spots from absolute extinction, Seven Kiteboarding is turning its premier location at Whale Harbor Marina in Islamorada from a public to a PRIVATE LAUNCH EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY.

No longer can you roll up in your humpty, take up a free parking spot, crack a beer from the cooler in your car, lay your lines out all over the place and cuss someone for getting in your way.

From now on, you must apply for membership to ride from this private property. This is the world's first country club for kiteboarding...complete with a clubhouse at the new "Wahoos", jet ski support, discounted rental rates on gear and lessons (leave your gear at home) free use of kickers and sliders, and free parking and launching.

The Keys have incredible conditions with limited launches that have been seriously compromised in the last few years by knuckleheads that have that "I-own-the-place" attitude. Well...if you do own the place then you know how valuable it is to keep...Bahia Honda...no kiting, Long Key...no kiting... Anne's Beach (soon to be) no kiting...this reminds me of skateboarding!!! But there aint going to be a revolution down here...it has already happened...

In order to keep kiting on Windley Key and Upper Matecumbe's oceanside flats, it must be regulated much more than it has been. This is why we formed the club and went private.

IF YOU WANT TO KEEP KITING ANYWHERE...(exept freezing places) DON'T BE A DICK. CHILL OUT AND BE COOL. Because, as it is now kiteboarding is on its way to being cancelled and stuck up on the shelf with some other sports...

Information on how to join Seven's exclusive Kiteboarding Country Club will be posted soon. In the meantime, email info@sevenkiteboarding.com for more information...

KingAstra
Frequent Poster

Postby KingAstra » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:23 am

which launch is it in islamorada the one after the bridge? Since when is it not allowed to kite in bahia honda just been there in january and loved it

kitester
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitester » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:15 am

I kited Long Key, Bahia and Ann's in December since when has it been banned? I heard about groups showing up in places like that for a weekend and being jerks. Then they just leave and leave the mess behind for everyone else. I think cheep kites are not a good thing.......

GK
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ft. Pierce inlet

Postby GK » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:41 pm

Hey Brad, is that trure about Bahia and Long Key. If so that is a huge bummer. I'm not suprised though. Good luck with the country club thing. I think that's a great idea, where do I sign?!

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:26 pm

Hello Brad,

That is bad news. Hope things stabilize at Whale Harbor with your club. I sent you a PM with some other questions. Good luck.

Rick

B-rad Lange
Frequent Poster

Postby B-rad Lange » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:16 pm

yes...the launch right after the Whale Harbor Bridge...

the owners love us and they love kiteboarding...they are just starting to hate kiteboarders...hmmm...sounds familiar...

the thing is...kites take up lots of space and create a huge liability for property owners...I wonder how many of us would have an open invitation for the kiting public to come to OUR property to ride???

there are not any "no kiteboarding" signs posted at Long Key or Bahia Honda...hopefully there will never be...park rangers have started kicking out kiteboarders this season...

brikyb
Rare Poster

Postby brikyb » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:12 pm

Too bad it's coming to this down there. Thank god all the beaches in oregon are public, more than enough room.

I have to ask though, what about visiting kiters? I think most tourists are nice people who would respect locals. It just seems unfair that now a perfectly good spot has gone locals-only.

I guess I would feel better about it if a club didn't just serve to be exclusive, but maybe served to regulate and maintain good kiting ethics at that launch. perhaps charge a day use fee for non-locals with a seasonal fee for members, and just regulate when needed. I don't know...suppose I'm just spouting about shit I don't know about, but that's my take on it and my two cents.

Hope it works out
Brik

antdog
Rare Poster

Postby antdog » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:52 pm

Haha fsck you, lucky you live in Florida eh? hows the surf been? hope there's no hurricanes heading towards your club anytime soon!

losers...probably would ride backside if there was ever a swell...

Zack

Trevor
Rare Poster

Postby Trevor » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:44 pm

Kinda sucks. Sorry to hear about the trouble Brad. You have Such a good spot there! We all had a blast there this winter.
The membership sounds interesting though. Hopefully it will work well. Good luck!

gonewiththewind
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gonewiththewind » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:57 pm

antdog wrote:losers...probably would ride backside if there was ever a swell...Zack
You mean, ride backside just like every surfer does depending on which way the wave is breaking?

Return to “Kitesurfing”