Local Beach: Middleton, Port Willunga, Mid Coast
Favorite Beaches: Middleton, U-Turns
Style: Wave
Gear: North Rebels, North Rocket Fish, North Freestyle Fish
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Bow history and patent

Postby dazza5172 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:42 pm

Having read through a lot of threads on this it seems a little confusing and contradictory.

Who is going to give me the straight facts on original inflatable bow, designer and manufacturer

there was also a link to the original patent licensees and I can't seem to find it??

thanks guys

Dazza :thumb:

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby ScottM » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:47 pm

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:06 am

ScottM wrote:For the real lowdown

http://www.inflatablekite.com/sitebow/BowHome.html
Without seeing the patent this page just seems like marketing. Having read the LEGAIGNOUX's earlier patent, I have no idea why most major brands are paying royalties. The bros may have created the explosion in kitesurfing, but I've never seen a kite that infringes their patent.

RC

Porkythekiter
Rare Poster

Postby Porkythekiter » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:21 am

so ur saying that you have never seen an inflatable kite because i believe that was the first patent

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:37 am

I've seen and ridden plenty of inflatable kites. I also have a copy of the patent on which Cabrinha is paying royalties. I've read it closely and none of the claims are violated by the Cabrinha or any of the other inflatables I'm familiar with.

Incidentally, the bros didn't invent the inflatable kite - don't even claim to have. The inflatable kite pre-dates their patent.

RC

brunolgx
Frequent Poster

Postby brunolgx » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:10 pm

spork wrote: I've never seen a kite that infringes their patent.
RC
Please let the Judges decide, you are not God.

For your information we have started 4 lawsuits for infringement of the c-shape kite patent. Two of them ended with license signature after the patent attorneys exchanged their point of view. Two were won in the first judgement and we are waiting for the appeals (sorry for my english).

I won't discuss once more why most flat kites are in our bow kite patent, I let the Judges make their work.
Bruno

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:30 pm

that is good. Don't waste your time with that, keep on designing more, great designs!

You should be rewarded for your work. Too bad, not all are thinking this way.
I know how it feels, if few people just take and don't give back...

Thanks
Toby

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:02 pm

brunolgx wrote:
spork wrote: I've never seen a kite that infringes their patent.
RC

For your information we have started 4 lawsuits for infringement of the c-shape kite patent. Two of them ended with license signature after the patent attorneys exchanged their point of view. Two were won in the first judgement and we are waiting for the appeals (sorry for my english).

I won't discuss once more why most flat kites are in our bow kite patent, I let the Judges make their work.
Bruno
Shame it had to come to that really, why some people would rather let it get that far who knows! :-?

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:52 pm

I'm not refering to your flat kite patents. I'm refering to the patent referenced on the tip of my Cabrinha. I don't claim to be god. But I'm sure I have one helluvalot more experience than you with patents (including patent infringement cases), and I can assure you the patent referenced on my Cabrinha is not infringed by that kite.

I am not God!!!!??? I don't claim to be. I think we know who has the god complex here.

I said:
Incidentally, the bros didn't invent the inflatable kite - don't even claim to have. The inflatable kite pre-dates their patent.
So is this not true Bruno?
You should be rewarded for your work. Too bad, not all are thinking this way. I know how it feels, if few people just take and don't give back...
I expect more from you Toby. You never heard me say they shouldn't be rewarded for thier work. Nor do you have any idea what I take or give back to the sport.

I'll be happy to post the patent in question for your review. It's a matter of public record.

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:10 pm

Bruno,

I just went back to review your patent #4,708,078.

That patent has exactly 4 claims. Claim 1 is the only independent claim. It desribes a kite with a double surface airfoil. All C-Kites that I'm familiar with use single surface airfoils by any accepted definition in the field of aerodynamics.

Perhaps you have other patents that are more on point. However, this is the patent that is referenced on the tip of my Cabrinha kite.

I'm glad you two made the strides you did in kitesurfing. We all have you to thank for that. And I'm glad you are profiting from your work. But that is not the issue at hand. I'm strictly speaking of patent rights.

RC

Return to “Kitesurfing”