Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Pictures Speak More Than 1000 Words (CONTRA 17)...

Forum for kitesurfers
chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East
Has thanked: 0

Postby chemosavi » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:28 pm

Been out several times now with the contra-14 and the general rule I've found is I have to see at least a few whitecaps to go upwind. 93kg., Door 64 (164 cm x 46cm almost flat bottom) Same goes for the Speed-17.

Phillipp
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Phillipp » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:34 pm

If I hadn't been there and flown the kite myself I would have said: "the miracles of photoshop!!!"

Chemo, so far I tend to agree with you. With all my kites so far I would only really start to have fun when there were some small whitecaps.

Today maybe the day where I'll revise this statement. I will see if a friend of mine can bring a video camera and a wind meter so we can document properly and come to a more accurate assessement.

To be honest, I don't really care if the kite flies in under 4 knots. What matters is how soon I can have fun with it.

But the indications are there that I'll have fun a bit sooner :D :D :D :D :D

P

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:19 am

Phillipp,What are the design features that you see that enable this kite to fly in that low wind?Maybe I've missed a post covering it,but why is this Contra model the light wind choice compared say, to the Xbow
Thanks

:)

HelldogBE
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby HelldogBE » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:35 am

can get pretty hairy though, i've had my waroo up in such conditions.

Suddenly the wind drops a few knots more and down it goes, right ontop of u (I swear u won't have the time to get the lines tight again if its dropping from zenith :P )

also no relaunch in those winds so I wouldn't go too far on it, but its nice for mountainboarding!!

ZenWind
Frequent Poster

Postby ZenWind » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:02 am

It must be a magic kite. :lol:

jrobson
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jrobson » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:51 am

bigwave wrote:Phillipp,What are the design features that you see that enable this kite to fly in that low wind?Maybe I've missed a post covering it,but why is this Contra model the light wind choice compared say, to the Xbow
Thanks

:)
Inside info says it has a smaller cabrinha sticker that contributed about 80% to the improvement in lightwind performance...

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:12 pm

Nice pictures. Now f*** off and don't come back until you've been riding with it. (groan. I am a wind addict and my last kite was 18th of April 2006)

tukyank
Frequent Poster

Postby tukyank » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:05 pm

chemosavi wrote:Been out several times now with the contra-14 and the general rule I've found is I have to see at least a few whitecaps to go upwind. 93kg., Door 64 (164 cm x 46cm almost flat bottom) Same goes for the Speed-17.
Ah yes - I've been waiting for a Contra vs Speed 17 comparison.
Are you saying the Contra 14 is comparable to the Speed 17????

I've done many head to heads with my X-bow 16 and Speed 17. Speed 17 has a lower range of 2-4 mph. (90kg on SS Glide) - I can fly it on the beack in 5mph - but need atleast 8 to ride on the water. For the X-bow 16, I need atleast 10mph to get going.

X-bow kicks Speed ass on the upper end though...

So, what I really want to know is - Does the Contra 17 have a better (wind speed at which you hold your ground on the water) low end than the Speed 17?

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:44 pm

It's my "shit for brains" notion without flying the contra 17 that it will be as good as if not better than the Speed-17 at getting you going in minimal wind. That's based on the C-14 which I have and have flown back to back with the Speed-17(same wind). The c-17'll sure turn a lot faster than the speed so if-you-good-at-fly-kite-kinda-guy you-a gonnna love it.

about same size cadaver and board as yourself.

mykrowyre
Frequent Poster

Postby mykrowyre » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:34 pm

It's called wind up top.

Have you ever had to run in dead air to get a kite into the air, only to get lofted once it hit 12:00? I have...

Happens all the time down here.

Lofted in 4 knots? No way, it's more up top.

Return to “Kitesurfing”