Bow relaunch on sand. Best out there?

Forum for kitesurfers
terrios666
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bow relaunch on sand. Best out there?

Postby terrios666 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:11 am

Biggest difference in my sessions this year has been presenting the kite downwind, leading edge down and then pulling in one of the side-lines to have the kite relaunch to the side of the window.

Super solo session no hassle. On the water OR the sand for the initial launch.

Very limited amount of riders in my area, so I'm wondering what others out there feel are good kites for this and not so good?

Without having to deal with the hassle of sanding down the tip in high winds, I'd say my success rate for launch has increased with the simple ease of use of bow type styles.

Cabrinha Crossbow - super easy on the 9m, and 12m. 16m in less than 8kts is difficult

GK Sonic - 11m does it well in 14kts+, otherwise you have to reverse relaunch by pulling in two outside lines and running backwards. Not sure if you can do this on the 14m? How bout the 8m?

Ocean Rodeo ONE - 12m needs 13kts, can be done and it takes more room to slide the kite across the window than say a Crossbow. 16m, no luck.

Cabrinha Switchblade - no idea? Thoughts?

Ozone Instinct - 13m can be done, I'd say a wee bit earlier than the GK 11, but not by much. Maybe 10+ kts on the right gust? Any word on the 11m or 15m?

Caution Answer - no luck. Have seen some mates try it but nothing. Any other word?

Turbo D - again, not much experience with this one.

-Liquid Force Assault - have read good things, but nobody flies them around here

any others?

prep
Frequent Poster

Postby prep » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:07 am

can launch my 12m in about 10kts no problems on sand.

just give the back line conencted to the wingtip furthest from me a tug to swing the kite into the wind, take a few steps forward to get it on its back then a few steps back and up it goes.

water is bit tricky if wind is udner 12/13kts, especially if ive lost my board.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby FredBGG » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:46 am

No a bow, but flies like a bow.
The Flysurfer Pulse.
Ridiculously easy relaunch from sand and water in winds to low to really kite in. Solo launching is a piece of cake in low or strong winds.
The first thing I though when I tried this kite for the first time is how damn easy it made everything and how much depower it had.

Relaunching from the water is done by pulling in one back line about 10 inches and the kite just pops up without to much power. Pull in the bar and off you go.

Real easy and super safe to land solo. The kite has a 5th line and mini center bridel. When you release the kite to the 5th line it folds in half and comes down with almost no power at all. In over powered situations it's best to stall the kite down a bit before going to the 5th line so the kite lands quicker.

I've ridden this kite from 14 to just over 30 mph and still feel far from the kites top end.Turns real fast too.

As you can guess I really am liking this kite and above all it makes me feel very safe if I'm riding solo

Cheers

Fred

Kosh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 9m2
Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 13m2
Cabrinha Imperial 2008 128 board
Brand Affiliation: Promotes Cabrinha for the national distributor.

Postby Kosh » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:32 am

Switchblade is easy to launch (9m2). Never had problems launching or landing myself (except for landing in really strong wind).
Last edited by Kosh on Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pike
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pike » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:44 am

Agree with you ref crossbow

I also have a Waroo 16m. Very easy on standard drift launch - I can also get it flying in 6-8 mph using reverse launch and quick hands to get to the bar once it's up. Brilliant light wind kite.

Pike
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pike » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:46 am

Agree with you ref crossbow

I also have a Waroo 16m. Very easy on standard drift launch - I can also get it flying in 6-8 mph using reverse launch and quick hands to get to the bar once it's up. Brilliant light wind kite.

terrios666
Medium Poster

Postby terrios666 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:06 pm

Pike:

To confirm, and this is news to me, you can reverse relaunch a 16m Waroo in 6-8 mph? Thats amazing.

Most larger bows I've tried, the whole reverse relaunch deal is not possible once you get to > 14m. It always seems like you're pulling too much kite to make it happen.

Interested to hear about the ION, Switchblade 16m, Sling TD or others.

si-fly2
Medium Poster

Postby si-fly2 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:22 pm

Ion 9&15 both launch well from beach with nose down slide....and also reverse launch easily in light wind.
Si

alpower
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alpower » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:31 pm

SB's are easier than the CB in my opinion. The new Contra is the best so far of the Cab's (I have the 17). If you have a weighted object to hook it to self launching and landing is super easy.

Pike
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pike » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:54 pm

terrios666 wrote:Pike:

To confirm, and this is news to me, you can reverse relaunch a 16m Waroo in 6-8 mph? Thats amazing.

Most larger bows I've tried, the whole reverse relaunch deal is not possible once you get to > 14m. It always seems like you're pulling too much kite to make it happen.

Interested to hear about the ION, Switchblade 16m, Sling TD or others.
Let me be more specific - the reverse launch works on the beach but not in the water. take a metre of both backlines, a big heave will get the kite only about 6-10 feet off the ground, staright away allow windward side line out a little to aid the kite turning - do it quick otherwise the tips will collapse inwards - as soon as kite leading edge is windward, release linds and grab bar pronto - it will be close but it works. Especially if like in the UK (tidal beaches) you can be a mile or so from the nearest post/bag/stake etc.

Return to “Kitesurfing”