Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Board recommendation

Forum for kitesurfers
SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Board recommendation

Postby SpaceRacer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:34 am

Looking for a freeride board with good pop for high boosting, good carving ability in river swell and small waves and smooth in chop. Do they make such a thing? If so, which board and size? I'm 6'1" and 190 naked :o

Thanks

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Board recommendation

Postby jespin4845 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:22 pm

boosting and carving...monk

wish they made the stance wider thou, im ur height so if you try it you might feel the same, i have the hadlow now, wiiiide stance

SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Postby SpaceRacer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:05 pm

Which size on the Monk? They now make it in 139X40 and 139X42. This won't be a light wind board for me but I am 6'1" and 190 and don't want a board that is too small for me.

Life_Is_Awesome
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Keho, Alberta, Canada
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Life_Is_Awesome » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:28 pm

SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Postby SpaceRacer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:15 pm

Demoed the 2013 Flysurfer Flywave yesterday in the Columbia River Gorge on an overpowered 12m and moderate river swell. Board is gorgeous. Board with thruster setup carves great. Twin setup is virtually useless, way too skaty, like a McDonald's tray. I was surprised that at 6'1", 190lbs, I was able to jibe the board. Thought I found the perfect all around board for me but the board really lacks pop. I could not get it to pop at all. Could only boost if I launched myself at high speed off of a swell. Then I usually went further downwind that upwards. Great board for everything but boosting.

JP

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:33 pm

i had the 135x44 old monk, never found a high end on it, started to get me going about 16-17 knots at 200 lbs in current ocean, supposedly the monk forever has better low end, but havent tried it yet...the monk carves better than the hadlow and is faster and they both boost the same

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:37 pm

SpaceRacer wrote:Looking for a freeride board with good pop for high boosting, good carving ability in river swell and small waves and smooth in chop. Do they make such a thing? If so, which board and size? I'm 6'1" and 190 naked :o

Thanks
see if you can test some of these, they cut like a knife through butter, iron out chop, and pop... if Marc Jacobs is happy with it :wink:
have a look here , maybe have a test ( see teamriders page)
http://switchkites.com/products/boards/freestyle.html

good luck with your choise!
dude 8)

SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Postby SpaceRacer » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:19 am

Hey, thanks for the info on the Monk. I am not really looking for a light wind board as I have another board for that. I am looking for a smooth booster and carver to nicely float my 6'1" 190lbs frame. Do you think the 135X44 would work well? Do you lose anything by going so wide, i.e. 44cm?

Thanks!

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:16 am

SpaceRacer wrote:Hey, thanks for the info on the Monk. I am not really looking for a light wind board as I have another board for that. I am looking for a smooth booster and carver to nicely float my 6'1" 190lbs frame. Do you think the 135X44 would work well? Do you lose anything by going so wide, i.e. 44cm?

Thanks!
If your leaning towards a Shinn board, give a look to the SuperShinn. The ideal size would be the 136x42 which would be very close to a one board quiver with a huge range.Even though its billed as a Freestyle/wakestyle board,it excels as a great freeride board. I have used most of the current Shinn line up including the SpeedBall and Dundee. PM me if you would like more info regarding The Shinn boards.

:thumb:

pwnd550
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Roches Noires Private Beach (Mauritius), Belmont Shore (Long Beach, CA)
Favorite Beaches: Roches Noires Private Beach (Mauritius), Bras d'Eau (Mauritius), Rodrigues Island
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Gear: Kites:
- 2010 RRD Obsession 10.5m
- 2013 Flexifoil Hadlow ID 12m
Boards:
- 2009 RRD Placebo (133x40cm)
- 2013 Flexifoil Hadlow MK2 (134cm)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby pwnd550 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:09 am

jespin4845 wrote:boosting and carving...monk

wish they made the stance wider thou, im ur height so if you try it you might feel the same, i have the hadlow now, wiiiide stance
Do you have the Hadlow wakestyle or freestyle? How do you like it? I bought the MK2 but did not have the chance to try it yet

Return to “Kitesurfing”