Forum for kitesurfers
surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

LETS PLAY "SPOT THE ENVIRONMENTALIST"

Postby surfingwithkites » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:36 am

Energy Use Hypocrisy

LOOK OVER THE DESCRIPTIONS OF THE FOLLOWING TWO HOUSES AND SEE IF YOU CAN TELL WHICH BELONGS TO AN ENVIRONMENTALIST.

HOUSE # 1:
A 20-room mansion (not including 8 bathrooms) heated by natural gas. Add on a pool (and a pool house) and a separate guest house all heated by gas. In ONE MONTH ALONE this mansion consumes more energy than the average American household in an ENTIRE YEAR. The average bill for electricity and natural gas runs over $2,400.00 per month. In natural gas alone (which last time we checked was a fossil fuel), this property consumes more than 20 times the national average for an American home. This house is not in a northern or Midwestern "snow belt," either. It's in the South.

HOUSE # 2:
Designed by an architecture professor at a leading national university, this house incorporates every "green" feature current home construction can provide. The house contains only 4,000 square feet (4 bedrooms) and is nestled on arid high prairie in the American southwest. A central closet in the house holds geothermal heat pumps drawing ground water through pipes sunk 300 feet into the ground. The water (usually 67 degrees F.) heats the house in winter and cools it in summer. The system uses no fossil fuels such as oil or natural gas, and it consumes 25% of the electricity required for a conventional heating/cooling system. Rainwater from the roof is collected and funneled into a 25,000 gallon underground cistern. Wastewater from showers, sinks and toilets goes into underground purifying tanks and then into the cistern. The collected water then irrigates the land surrounding the house. Flowers and shrubs native to the area blend the property into the surrounding rural landscape.

HOUSE # 1 (20 room energy guzzling mansion) is outside of Nashville, Tennessee. It is the abode of that renowned environmentalist (and filmmaker) Al Gore.

HOUSE # 2 (model eco-friendly house) is on a ranch near Crawford, Texas. Also known as "the Texas White House," it is the private residence of the President of the United States, George W. Bush.

So whose house is gentler on the environment? Yet another story you WON'T hear on CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC, MSNBC or read about in the New York Times or the Washington Post. Indeed, for Mr. Gore, it's truly "an inconvenient truth."

FNG
Rare Poster

Postby FNG » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:48 am

I know where you are going with this and feel for it.
However,
Do either of them kite?
And not for a photo op.
I can read about this on any blog of any side.
Here?

Scribbler
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Scribbler » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:00 am

One of those people has made a truly global impact on the way people understand the damage we do to the planet.

And it's certainly not the person sitting in one of his many White houses, however green this little one may be...

Don't forget that.

Scribbler
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Scribbler » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:01 am

And wtf has this got to do with Kiting anyway?

deltawake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby deltawake » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:42 am

Why not post your non-kite related rants somwhere else. I read this forum to escape the usual BS. :thumb:

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:05 am

I actually wasn't ranting and wasn't going anywhere with it. I just thought it was funny and rather surprising. I wouldn't have expected GW to have his primary residence be so green. Gores didn't surprise me at all.

Just the same, it's funny that you both felt the need to blast me for being off topic but felt no such compulsion when the global warming propaganda thread went on for fifty pages. Why would you bother to read a thread that was obviously labeled with a non kiting title anyway if it bothers you so much?

Scribbler
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Scribbler » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:34 am

surfingwithkites wrote:Why would you bother to read a thread that was obviously labeled with a non kiting title anyway if it bothers you so much?
Because you didnt warn us with an 'Off Topic' note you muppet.

this coulda been about a kite related issue.

it isnt.

Next time, let us know.

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:43 am

As long as we're off-topic anyway...

Gore could be the friggen anti-christ and it wouldn't change the scientific facts. Global warming is a scientific reality that will impact us and our children. Whether politicians or opportunists take advantage of it, promote it, or deny it, doesn't change a damn thing.

I should definitely know better than to post this by now. I sure as hell don't expect to change your mind surfingwithkites; nor do I expect to change Mulholland's mind or the person who reads this post to him. Sadly it seems by know everyone has already decided to cling to their religious beliefs on the topic.

never mind

Another Toby
Frequent Poster

Postby Another Toby » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:57 am

Nice one Dubya!
Here's a little article about the house.
http://www.off-grid.net/index.php?p=680
So this thread is about green architecture? Awesome! More of it!

PS - Al Gore is not Global Warming. He may be the smarmy hypocritical carbon offsetting face of a popular documentary on the subject......

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:55 am

First you practice, then you preach, or make a movie.

As for global warming, You don't really know what I think and I am still open minded on the subject) you only know that I have questioned your final judgement for the rest of the world that science has reached a final difinitive conclusion and it has been so ordained and proclaimed on the great kiteforum and we must all take action immedietly due to your judgement.

I think the more science the better and the less poitics the better. Preaching on kiteforum falls in the latter category. Meaningful scientific consensus may someday be attained until then do what you think is right. Gore must be pretty worried, eh?

Just thought it very funny that the lefts poster child for global warming would be the big energy slut and the "Great Satan" himself would be a closet environmentalist.

The cliche "can't judge a book by its cover" and the bumper sticker "think globally, act locally" come to mind.

Maybe G.W. actually stands for "global warming" Bush and since there was a burning bush or something in the bible there must be a good conspiracy theory here. It's probably being written about on the daily Kos already.

I hear G-dub might trade in airforce one for a flying toyota prius?

Return to “Kitesurfing”