Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cabarete Kitebeach, part of the problem.

Forum for kitesurfers
kitegrommet
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cabarete Kitebeach, part of the problem.

Postby kitegrommet » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:37 pm

I just read this quote written by EH of Cabarete. I know what I'm about to write to some will be eliteist or racist, or whatever.

ANYBODY, who has ridden on kitebeach has seen the chaos on the beach. Mostly, it's the local "kite assistants" riding borrowed kites from the schools on their time off, these kids ride the shorebreak, do jumps on the beach and break all the IKO rules of safety. I saw within one afternoon 2 kites in trees, from one school, and 4 tangles in the water or along the beach break.

Next day, 3 more kites in trees, same school. Then they sell these as used, good condition kites. I wonder how long it takes for a kite assistant to save up for a new Xbow or SB? I bet Cabrinha loves seeing there kites in trees and the newbies are for sure getting a positive experience of dodging locals on the beach. But, the visiting/paying tourist doesn't matter, we only pay for the kites we bring or rent, and hotel rooms, and food.

NOW, I read a congrats by EH for this behavior and a "sorry ass" comment to Aaron Hadlow?

See below:

"Thanks and appreciated.

Very happy that Ariels many hours on the water paid of for him.

In a way we all paid for this one, we endured Arielito shredding the shore break and flying over our heads for years.

Those glorious days during the competition and the recent recognition for the Ripper design by the master him self made it all worth while for me.

Alex Soto is as much a winner as Ariel, he rode hard and has cleaned some "sorry ass" Aaron 2 years in a row.

I can still hear the "event FAVORITES" sing Queen's "we are the winners" at karaoke night before the event.. :-)

hahahaaaaaa"

Eric

Kitebeaches.com clearly posts some new rules of the road for kitebeach and the last sentence threaten's "problems" with local kiteschools!!

See end of rant:

Kiteschools clean your own act up, if the kite assistants EVER had to pay for shit, then they may not risk gear or limb by showing off on the beach, to only later be rewarded by a quote from Eric.

Please, Please, Please, somebody from a kiteschool come up to me with a safety "problem" on kitebeach, PLEASE!!

Rules & Restrictions:
DR North Coast has lots of good place to kite. Because the beach is small and we have to share it with other people (kiteboarders or not), the following rules apply : MAIN RULE : ONE MUST NOT USE A KITE WITHOUT HAVING RECEIVED CERTIFIED TRAINING. For safety and authorization reasons, Kiteboard teaching is forbidden outside an official school. Equipment: 1- Your bar must have two safety systems: · one permitting the release of the kite at any time · one permitting retaining the kite without endangering anybody (leash) once the first system has been released. 2- ask somebody competent to check your equipment before launching (pre-flight check). 3- if you're not sure, ask the staff which kite is suitable according to the conditions. On the beach: 1- It's forbidden to land a kite or walk in private property. 2- In close proximity of other beach users, bring the kite neutral. 3- Always launch and land: · in front of kiteboarding schools: It's forbidden to land in other aeras unless in an emergency. · kite seaside in the edge of the window, rider landside. · with assistance: assistants are here to help you. If it's another person, be sure he's competent. When launching others, always wait for riders signal to release the kite. 4- Fly your kite inside the window or jumping on the beach is forbidden. Once the kite is launched, you must go in the water. 5- When having a break, leave your equipment so that it can't be a danger or hindrance to others. On the water: 1- When crossing or over-passing: · Upwind rider flies the kite high; downwind rider flies the kite low. · Starboard rider has the right-of-way. · On the reef, outgoing rider has the right-of-way. 2- During training times, don't come within 50 meters of the shore. 3- Check around oneself before jumping or tacking. 4- THERE IS NO OFFICIAL RESCUE SERVICES. The school boat is efficient in small rescues in small conditions. It cannot cross the reef in case of strong conditions. It's therefore important not to go too far out and not to go on the reef in case of strong conditions (strong wind, big waves and current). 5- When dark clouds are in formation, check flags on the shore. Wind may cease or pick up strongly. It's better to stop riding. Within 50m of the shore: 1- When incoming, reduce one's speed and bring the kite neutral. 2- No uncontrolled manoeuvers (incoming jump…). 3- Rider entering the water has the right-of-way. FAILURE TO RESPECT THESE RULES CAN RESULT IN PROBLEMS WITH KITEBOARDING SCHOOLS AND LOCAL AUTHORITIES.

Megabear
Frequent Poster

Postby Megabear » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:25 pm

im trying to read it , but i just dont seem to understand what you wanna say ?

Bagels9000
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: White sands, Napeague, anywhere eastern long island
Style: freestyle
Gear: 9m,12m Naish Torch 07', Nobile 666, mystic warrior.
Brand Affiliation: We teach for Ozone only

Postby Bagels9000 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:01 am

i know what hes saying, we have students come here that have had lessons in caberete or hatteras or the dominican republic with no beach etiqute.
its terrible, that should be the first lesson in every course.
instead people want money so they take a kite and just throw students out on boards first.

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:06 am

Wow did he really say sorry ass??? Not too gracious that! :roll:

But yeah I've seen kiters using 7 year old kids a turning marks on the beach!! :o

kitegrommet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitegrommet » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:13 am

Not trying to say anything, just a rant.

The beach etiquette in Cabarete is ridiculous and just dangerous, many stories.

EH calling Aaron "sorry ass", and giving props to a kid for jumping on the beach all day and playing in the shorebreak.

Just that....

bob10
Frequent Poster

Postby bob10 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:33 am

who are you kite grommet?

are you in cabarete at th emoment?

kitegrommet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitegrommet » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:38 am

Why, you looking for a date?

Who are you Bob10?

EricHertsens
Rare Poster

Postby EricHertsens » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:41 am

hey guy's,

Well,.. for a year now I have been paying a bunch of the worst offenders to stop shredding the shore break and so make it a better place.

I pay them and there are rules, if they wrap them selves or I get any complaints from the other schools then they do not get their money.

I can not pay every kid to be nice, but I do my share to solve the problem.

Do not forget, you are visiting THEIR country, and if you do not like it then please do not come back. It is as simple as that.

Many people do like it, and do come back. just look at the picture.

About Aaron, well complaining on his home page about unfair and harsh judgment is in my opinion a sad and sorry thing for a rider of his status.
chek it out for your self http://www.aaronhadlow.com/

do not forget that Aaron was beaten by Alex 2 years in a row... and on a BOW

I'm not going to go trough a whiny tread, justifying my actions. I have taken action regarding the kids playing in their backyard, I try to do my part in it, but it is their country we are all just visitors.

So haters shit all you want on my head, my whole life I have worked hard for Cabarete no matter what you say.

I smell our competing destination Brazil trough all this complaining about Cabarete.

Eric
Attachments
jully_2007_cabarete_2_166 (Small).jpg
jully_2007_cabarete_2_166 (Small).jpg (11.68 KiB) Viewed 4280 times
Last edited by EricHertsens on Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

EricHertsens
Rare Poster

Postby EricHertsens » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:44 am

btw who the hell is kitebeaches.com to lay down the rules.... GOD?

kitegrommet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitegrommet » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:56 am

I found the rules on kitebeaches website, just as I did your comment on your other website.

I see you've now cleaned up the comment. Ok.

Yes, it was cool to see local riders do well in the international arena.

There is probably nobody who promotes kiting/sailing more in Cabarete than you, but the attitude of "don't like leave" won't keep paying for lessons, room, meals, and rental kites for the young DR kids to ride.

I don't have to tell you how many times a beachwalker has been whacked by a kite.

The rules on kitebeaches.com seemed to me to come from the very same group of people who allow their kite assistants to jump on the beach all day and play in the shorebreak.

Yea, it's THEIR beach, but it wouldn't be a beach without us coming and sailing here for 10 years.

Also, don't think with all the retirees moving in that they can't get together and start to REALLY control access to beaches, just as has happened in many places that was THEIR beach.

Glad you do your part, you can't do more than that, but we can't continue to laugh at the beach jumpers and shorebreak riders.

Return to “Kitesurfing”