Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kitesurfing has no credibility with SURFERS

Forum for kitesurfers
Fudge
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kitesurfing has no credibility with SURFERS

Postby Fudge » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:24 am

There is a bit of a push to get surfers into kitesurfing, led by companies like Slingshot. Fair enough too; it's a big untapped market.

But "kitesurfing" will NEVER have any cred with surfers until we show we can ride waves properly with a kite. It hasn't happened yet.

Putting up kooks like Ben Wilson as exemplars of "kitesurfing" only makes it worse. Hardcore surfers look at Wilson "kitesurfing" and piss themselves - if they look at all. He looks completely shit... bum stuck out, spin outs, soft body.

We need to get a surfer with cred into kitesurfing if we are to get any traction with the surfing community. Eg someone like Brooko or Abberton.

At the moment, we just look like kooks. Putting up fat-arse losers like Wilson only makes it worse.

lesbian horse
Very Frequent Poster

Postby lesbian horse » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:32 am

AHAHA koby abberton and credibility. LOL.

well atleast he has none here. west coast of oz.

u dont get cred from towing in when crew are still paddling.

u certainly dont get cred from being a roid pumping baboon thug.

dazza5172
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Middleton, Port Willunga, Mid Coast
Favorite Beaches: Middleton, U-Turns
Style: Wave
Gear: North Rebels, North Rocket Fish, North Freestyle Fish
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby dazza5172 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:37 am

But I (as are many here) am both? different conditions, different Gear, surfer for many many years before kiting and never looked back.

Surfed yesterday (no wind) and was so sensational however those days are less frequent re conditions than the days I catch 50 x 50m rides when a surfer gets 10 x 2m rides

the unfortunate reality is at our spots so many surfers see this ratio difference with the aerial moves and they are in.

Generally I would rather see surfers cross over as they have good ethos in the water (well as good as possible) and better water knowledge and consideration.

I don't think that there is a real issue getting them across, I don't see them laughing after a sitting at a break watching a kite wave session in windy waves all around them.

And by the way, the best way to drop the cred is to spray them (by accident) against temptation always give them the courtesy of passing down wind if too close. It would piss me off too.

Daz

stakas
Frequent Poster

Postby stakas » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:49 am

Can someone explain it to me that how will my enjoyment of kitesurfing be better if I get credibility from a surfer....... why is it important?
.......do we need credibility from skateboarders, bounty hunters, PETA and the Dalai Lama, too....... I am afraid I will not have a great session...... ever!
No cred', Dude, no cred......

liv2surf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Waddell Creek, Scott Creek, Miramar-Half Moon Bay, Coyote Point, Pillar Point Harbor-HMB
Style: waves & foil
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters 7, 9, 11. Firewire Dominator surfboard (quad), no straps. SS SpacePickle adapted to foil (LF Foilfish foil), two foot hooks, front and back.

Re: Kitesurfing has no credibility with SURFERS

Postby liv2surf » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:50 am

Fudge wrote:There is a bit of a push to get surfers into kitesurfing, led by companies like Slingshot. Fair enough too; it's a big untapped market.

But "kitesurfing" will NEVER have any cred with surfers until we show we can ride waves properly with a kite. It hasn't happened yet.

Putting up kooks like Ben Wilson as exemplars of "kitesurfing" only makes it worse. Hardcore surfers look at Wilson "kitesurfing" and piss themselves - if they look at all. He looks completely shit... bum stuck out, spin outs, soft body.

We need to get a surfer with cred into kitesurfing if we are to get any traction with the surfing community. Eg someone like Brooko or Abberton.

At the moment, we just look like kooks. Putting up fat-arse losers like Wilson only makes it worse.
i am not in the industry, don't need kiting to be more crowded and could give a s**t if surfers think kiting is credible. I also have been surfing for a very very long time and still surf but once I got into kiting I don't look back often). to be honest, I hope most surfers don't switch over.

frez
Medium Poster

Postby frez » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:27 am

Kite 'surfing' is a young sport still and when we've racked up as many man hours in the surf with our kites then let's see who's giving respect to who.

I know a ton of surfers who have crossed over full time to kiting. I don't know anyone who has gone the other way.

Who really cares what surfers think? We'll take the best from every sport be it surfing, wakeboarding, snowboarding etc of course but kiting will find its own way. We're happy to welcome those who want to come with us and are too busy enjoying ourselves to worry about the opinions of small minded little turds who think they can judge a sport they know little or nothing about.

BullsShit.com
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Moks', Kailua, Town
Favorite Beaches: Town
Style: old school
Gear: Eclipse Thruster 8, 12. Nano 6
Underground 128 /39 (custom) 07(08)
Mystic harness, Blue Planet shorts, Off Da Lip rash guard
Victoria Secret under wear
Brand Affiliation: being a good friend

Postby BullsShit.com » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:01 am

who cares.
We kitesurf not surf.
But I know that surfers out here respect what we do and always say " damn, I got to try that"

On the same note, I say to them (" damn, I wish I could surf like that..)(tubed at pipe)

We have all the respect we need.

North_Wind
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Big Bay, Cape Town
Style: cruising and jumping
Gear: Duotone

Re: Kitesurfing has no credibility with SURFERS

Postby North_Wind » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:42 am

Fudge wrote: ... But "kitesurfing" will NEVER have any cred with surfers until we show we can ride waves properly with a kite. It hasn't happened yet.
Does anyone care? I don't.
Fudge wrote:
And this is impolite.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:19 am

Fudge is on a private mission against Ben...old story. Flamer's Paradise loves Fudge posts. Here you are.

Rockstar
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Rockstar » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:22 am

Toby wrote:Fudge is on a private mission against Ben...old story. Flamer's Paradise loves Fudge posts. Here you are.
Fudge is Ben.....isn't he ????

Return to “Kitesurfing”