Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

REAL disgraze

Forum for kitesurfers
YngvaiMalmsteve
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby YngvaiMalmsteve » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:08 pm

This is the worst thing Real could've ever done for their business. I won't ever think about even looking on their site again.

Emofish
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Emofish » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:26 pm

I wonder if they will lose more money from this getting out than the money they "might or might not" get from those they are suing?

I understand "business is business" but you can do it with integrity.

2tall
Medium Poster

Real dizgrace

Postby 2tall » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:11 pm

Man...this is really bumming me out. I'm a newbie who was introduced to the sport through Real. I have really enjoyed the comraderie that everyone has displayed in the forums in general. I remember this same situation occurring with snowboarding in the early 90s. My '93 Morrow snowboard may actually be gaining in value. Think of all the startup snowboard companies that disappeared or were swallowed up by the big guys. Once money enters the picture, it really changes the dynamic...I know that from my own profession.

The only way to get through this is for the "small guys" to take the high road. It will eventually pay off. I was really thinking about going back to Real this spring for some lessons, but now I'm a little confused.

I want to hear some feedback about some of the great things happening with the smaller outfits...maybe I'll change my plans and schedule lessons with them.

emeryboarder
Medium Poster

Postby emeryboarder » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:59 pm

Not totally surprised. Up the road a mile or so, Barton Decker has let people launch from the beach (not that he owned all of it or anything) near his shop (Hatteras Island Sail Shop) and use his toilet and shower without busting anybody's chops about spending $$'s in his shop (not that he doesn't comment about that to people he knows).

On the other hand, have you ever asked Real to accommodate you for water access if you aren't a paying customer on the zero to buy-gear-here lesson plan. The slick just west of their shop is Pamlico Sound but sometimes it feels like "Real Sound" and your in their way... however they feel free to spread out with jet skis and newbees-in-tow floundering through kiters and boarders mowing the lawn in front of every soundfront location from Salvo to Rodanthe.

They are a personable group owning and running the show there, but I'm not surprised that their sense of entitlement in the OBX Kingdom would lead them to file suits against friends & neighbors. I've layed down cash for small items at their shops but thats about it.

Welcome to greed-driven corporate America -- game on... :evil:

emeryboarder
Medium Poster

Postby emeryboarder » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:16 pm

Hey 2tall, last I knew Barton gave lessons right down the road at HISS and he also generally has a pro-level kiter working out of there as well in the summer

Ever heard of Demitri (Eclipse Kites and Skywalker Boards)? He gave a few lessons out of there years ago.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:30 am

I'm amazed they can trademark such common days usage terms for any specific usage, it's not like they came up with any of them they just re-appropriated them.
Last edited by sq225917 on Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:23 am

I am sorry that you are going through the cost and frustration of litigation Daryl along with the other shops that have been threatened with legal action. Litigation should be a last option in my experience after all other attempts to settle the issue through discussion have been exhausted. The cost in time, money, lost productivity and shear heartache make it a fools errand all too often for the parties involved.

I hope the Plaintiff reconsiders their course of action in view of mounting negative sentiment against REAL, its principals and what may amount to a serious impact upon future sales and growth. So much effort and capital have been spent over the years trying to build a solid client base and goodwill to see it torn down in short order by what is being widely interpreted as a frivolous and malicious suit.

Good luck. I hope this is resolved to the mutual satisfaction of all parties very soon. The "trial in public" among some customers and peers doesn't seem to be favoring the action very much at all.

hanu
Rare Poster

Postby hanu » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:23 am

RickI wrote:I am sorry that you are going through the cost and frustration of litigation Daryl along with the other shops that have been threatened with legal action. Litigation should be a last option in my experience after all other attempts to settle the issue through discussion have been exhausted. The cost in time, money, lost productivity and shear heartache make it a fools errand all too often for the parties involved.

I hope the Plaintiff reconsiders their course of action in view of mounting negative sentiment against REAL, its principals and what may amount to a serious impact upon future sales and growth. So much effort and capital have been spent over the years trying to build a solid client base and goodwill to see it torn down in short order by what is being widely interpreted as a frivolous and malicious suit.

Good luck. I hope this is resolved to the mutual satisfaction of all parties very soon. The "trial in public" among some customers and peers doesn't seem to be favoring the action very much at all.
Captures my sentiments exactly! Real, get real, please.

A FORMER customer.

Emofish
Rare Poster

Postby Emofish » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:21 am

:o :o :o
Attachments
This is a real funny cartoon.jpg
This is a real funny cartoon
This is a real funny cartoon.jpg (117.65 KiB) Viewed 3861 times