Medium Poster
Local Beach: Anse,Valois,Kb,AdV
Gear: Cab,Cf
Brand Affiliation: CCamp.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

SB2 trailing edge panel weakness, ripped

Postby droptine » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:46 pm

This must have been reported before, but here it is, I bought 2 end of season SB2, 8m, 10m, brand new in box, after a few usage about 5 times each, I noticed creases on the trailing edge panel of the 10m, Grey colored panel right where "switchblade" is printed. I smoothe dit out with my hand to take a closer look and guess what, it ripped. Other panles had the same whitish crease, like when you fold a piece of plastic, then ripped whe a light pressure is applied.
Some people told me it is common with SB2, my 8m is ok though. Anyone experienced this?? What are my recourses??

dwarf
Very Frequent Poster

Re: SB2 trailing edge panel weakness, ripped

Postby dwarf » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:03 pm

Sure sounds like a warranty claim. Just take it to your dealer. I am sure they will sort you out.

Er Presidente
Medium Poster

Postby Er Presidente » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:18 am

had exactly same problem on both xbow 9m 2007 and SB2 12m..
i just think Cab quality for 07 kites really really sucked and this is why i switched brand.
I think they have by far the best bar system around but the kite quality is very poor.
Heard 08 kites were better but i switched to Royal for my 08 quiver and had zero problems so far...

droptine
Medium Poster

Postby droptine » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:50 pm

Ok then we are 2, so nobody else? If it is not a common problem then I would guess Er Presidente and I are the unlucky ones who bought "lemons". Does that then justify a brand switch?? Since Cabs are relatively good quality/workmanship as far as popular opinions are concerned and my evaluation too.Not being sarcastic here just, wondering out loud.

Er Presidente wrote:had exactly same problem on both xbow 9m 2007 and SB2 12m..
i just think Cab quality for 07 kites really really sucked and this is why i switched brand.
I think they have by far the best bar system around but the kite quality is very poor.
Heard 08 kites were better but i switched to Royal for my 08 quiver and had zero problems so far...

Waldo
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Waldo » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:54 pm

"I think they have by far the best bar system around but the kite quality is very poor."
Exactly my opinion too based on 2005 and 2007.

tukyank
Frequent Poster

Postby tukyank » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:35 pm

i have had several quality issues with my Cab 07's (xbow 12 and Contra 17)
If you search this forum - you will find that many others have had very similar problems.
the canopies in general were too fragile and were prone to massive failure in hard LE crashes into the water.
The fact that you discovered the problems before the became serious is good news.
Try the warranty route first, and if no luck, have them patched - or even better have an experienced kite repair shop reinforce the trailing edge and the canopy fabric near the LE.
Although I love my xbow 2 12M and I ride it hard, I'm dissapointed with the quality and the way the warranty folks handled my issues (I've had the canopy and LE repaired twice - without warranty). As a consequence, I will no longer buy Cabrinha, and am looking for a brand that is builds tougher kites.
(I'm leaning towards Ocean Rodeo).

Don't think for a minute that you bought bad kites - you bought great kites, just not very tough ones.
Treat them nicely and go easy on the kite-loops as one good crash could cause a nasty tear.
The 2008 Cabs appear to have been reinforced, but based on my own comparisons to othe brands, they are still not built as tough.

gibsonandpickett
Frequent Poster

Postby gibsonandpickett » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:22 am

had the same problem with my sb2 ,was covered nunder warrantyand replaced with sb3.by far a much superior kite, build quality and ride.

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:36 am

I have a very closed " connection " to one of the mayor repair shops in Tarifa and YES ... your kites are the most seen guests around with the same problems .

They also told me that some Cabs have great quality panels and some not .... maybe Cab has 2 different factories ?

Saludos

Franz

PS. not to bash Cab.... this is known for the 07 kites .... have no idea how the 08 are doing though

droptine
Medium Poster

Postby droptine » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:43 pm

Oops, looks like I will have 2 SB2 for sale soon, used only about 5 times each, what a shame.But I will still look into 08 Cabs, since my past experiences have been nothing but good with this Brand.

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dr_Rosen » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:06 pm

Er Presidente wrote:had exactly same problem on both xbow 9m 2007 and SB2 12m..
Hmm. I had SB2 and also had the problems as well. Ripped a SB2. Cabrinha paid for repair tohugh. Also changed to Royal ...... however just seemed to go from bad to wrose in terms of quality! Flying is another thing - much better with the Era. But the quality on the forst batches suck. Even Royal acknowledge that, and have improved the design ..... they say.

Return to “Kitesurfing”