Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

What happend at Holly Beach, Texas?

Postby Toby » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:03 pm

A surf club was based there on a private property.
There has been an incident, now the beach is closed...does someone know more about it?

los dos
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby los dos » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:44 pm

There were no incidents that I am aware of.

An attorney that said he was representing the owner showed up and advised people who were there at the time that from now on they would be cited for trespassing.

Everyone here is just sitting back to let things chill to see if he is for real or was just having a bad day.

There is still a place to launch there, to the north about 300 yards. It is not as good but is at the end of the road on public property.

tstansbury
Medium Poster

Postby tstansbury » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:19 pm

that sucks a launch that is worse than rusty nails and fire ants.

PiaKite
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby PiaKite » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:44 pm

Holly was always accessed at the largesse of the owner.

This last year we had people there (beginners) that had no business launching there, and as Jake Moore posted in a different thread, we had kites tangled in power lines, visitors (non locals) fighting eachother, cops called, etc. And as Jake also said - "what do you expect?"

Too bad the gate wasn't locked and the spot kept for locals, which some of us recommended, who understood that riding there was a privilege, not a right. Now it's just another great spot that's gone.

Lucky I own property on that side of the bay. Although my lot is much smaller than Holly, and a much more difficult launch, me and my friends will be riding there, and hoping the owner at Holly reconsiders.

Skyway Scott

Postby Skyway Scott » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:32 am

I am obviously not there and don't know the specifics, but what about paying the owner an annual fee of some kind and having a pass to his property, or some kind of twist on that idea.
Anyone without the pass.... too bad (?)

That way he makes a little money and controls who comes in.
We did that in Gainesville when I windsurfed on a lake.

I doubt it's about the money for him, but maybe sign a liability waiver or something too. I don't know.... I bet he is more concerned about liability than anything though.

Just an idea, it might suck.
Sad to hear that story. It's one thing to welcome visitors, it's another when they screw over your local spot. That sounds like that is what happened.
Really sorry, if that is the case.

I am of the opinion that every single spot, public access, public park, you name it, is a privilege to ride at and never a right. Some don't see this though.

Greg7
Medium Poster

Postby Greg7 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:40 am

Skyway Scott wrote:I am obviously not there and don't know the specifics, but what about paying the owner an annual fee of some kind and having a pass to his property, or some kind of twist on that idea.
Anyone without the pass.... too bad (?)

That way he makes a little money and controls who comes in.
We did that in Gainesville when I windsurfed on a lake.

I doubt it's about the money for him, but maybe sign a liability waiver or something too. I don't know.... I bet he is more concerned about liability than anything though.

Just an idea, it might suck.
Sad to hear that story. It's one thing to welcome visitors, it's another when they screw over your local spot. That sounds like that is what happened.
Really sorry, if that is the case.

I am of the opinion that every single spot, public access, public park, you name it, is a privilege to ride at and never a right. Some don't see this though.
It's not worth it. If people are acting like jackasses on public property and get hurt, they have nobody to blame but themselves, but if those same jackasses get hurt on private property you can and probably will be sued.

You can require consent signatures, have multi million dollar umbrella policies, and still get into a major mess.

I am a kitesurfer and understand the value of launches, but if people were being stupid and getting caught in power lines, among other things, sorry, no way I would ever open it back up.

surfboy1968
Frequent Poster

Postby surfboy1968 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:21 am

I spoke with the land owners attorney today and this is what apparently happenned. A couple of kitesurfers were buzzing a couple of wade fisherman and an arguement ensued and the cops were called. One of the fisherman knows the property owner and called to complain about the kiters. The attorney did mention they were not locals and were out of state. Also one of the fishermen is planning on suing one of the kiters according to the attorney.

This is a sad incident for all of us local kiters that kite at Holly regularly. Many thanks for the assholes that apparently have ruined it for us. Keep your damn attitudes out of South Texas. In fact, quit kiting........[/list][/code]

Skyway Scott

Postby Skyway Scott » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:34 am

Really sorry to hear this.
WTF is up with thinking it's cool to pester fishermen?
Dumbasses.
Last edited by Skyway Scott on Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:35 am

maybe a gesture can smooth it over. an apology, a letter, a promise to post a sign warning kiters to stay 100 yards from wade fishermen, some beer, ...

if the fisherman know most of us are on their side and if they have problems, we'll join them in fixing it, i think they'll cool off...

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:38 am

This is a true bummer. Holly has one of the steadiest springtime late afternoon southeast thermals (with butter smooth water) I have ridden on the mainland US. North flats were always gusty on those thermal days.

I sort of recall another launch southwest of Holly back along the shoreline towards Laguna Vista. Isn't that where some of the windsurfers launch from? Definitely not as kite friendly. As a visitor I was always careful about locals who would launch their skiffs for fishing there

Good luck in getting the site back

Return to “Kitesurfing”