Forum for kitesurfers
srq kiter
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New Garmin Forerunner 405 review..

Postby srq kiter » Mon May 19, 2008 7:00 pm

Just got one of these and used it this weekend.

Great unit!!

PROS: Big PLUS!! Much more Waterproof than the FR305. Smaller size and better reception.

CONS: Bezel dial is part of the navigation and is very sensitive to touch. Especially, when wet. Using the "Lock Bezel" feature advisable for water use. It's also a little hard to navigate due to it's small size.

For those who like to track their speeds or mileage. The FR 405 is definitely the best unit that I have seen. Just need to go through all the set-up steps when you first get it and use the "Lock Bezel" feature.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142&pID=11039#

Al-Kite-A
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Crissy Filed SF, Nor Cal
Style: freeride/race/wave
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo, HyperFlex, Ozone, SlingShot and Windy Devil

Re: New Garmin Forerunner 405 review..

Postby Al-Kite-A » Mon May 19, 2008 9:11 pm

srq kiter wrote:
PROS: Big PLUS!! Much more Waterproof than the FR305. Smaller size and better reception.
FYI - Not according to Garmin and the guys at MotionBased.
But yes more that n the 200 series

srq kiter
Rare Poster

Postby srq kiter » Tue May 20, 2008 2:52 am

While the waterproof rating is the same as previous editions. The reality is, it is much improved. I have used this unit multiple times kiteboarding. Both on flat water speed session and in surf.

I Think the water resistance of the unit is enhanced by the fact that the transmissions out of unit are done wirelessless. Removing the big hole in the back w/ a rubber cover..

If you have used the watch and had a different experience. Please let me know.. The FR305 & 205, didn't work for me.. The 405 does?

func
Frequent Poster
Gear: Ocean Rodeo

Postby func » Thu May 22, 2008 1:29 am

Did they increase the track log memory at all? Couldn't find any details on the specifications from Garmin. My old FR would fill up it's memory in 3 hours at 1 point per second. 2 pps was better, but memory is so cheap, I wonder why they wouldn't put more in.

Nice to see a new unit though - the wireless data link makes a lot of sense.

bigmark100
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sydney
Favorite Beaches: Capetown, Venezuela, Perth
Style: styleless
Gear: Nobile, Cabrihna

Postby bigmark100 » Thu May 22, 2008 2:49 am

I need a new watch...... but unfortunately its no watch replacement.
Battery only lasts 8 hours - which I consider one of the CONS....

Generic-Imitation
Frequent Poster

Postby Generic-Imitation » Thu May 22, 2008 4:03 am

its not supposed to be a watch, its supposed to be a GPS unit. And I consider 8 hours a PRO. Get a watch for telling you time. I have a 305 and I've never had any problems with batt life, satt tracking or water getting inside. the antenna doesn't pick up any sattelites when the unit is submerged, but I shouldn't crash then should I?

I think the Garmin software is the most lacking. Not going to go into actual issues, I looked at it once for 5 seconds and decided it was garbage, now I use SportTracks from Zone Five Software.

jens_buhl
Medium Poster

Postby jens_buhl » Thu May 22, 2008 7:30 am

srq kiter wrote:I Think the water resistance of the unit is enhanced by the fact that the transmissions out of unit are done wirelessless. Removing the big hole in the back w/ a rubber cover..
Hmmm, how does the 405 connect to recharge it's battery? :-?

/Jens

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Thu May 22, 2008 9:09 am

It has a couple of contact dots on the back and the charging clip makes contact with those. It's basically the same as the 305. Only the data transfer is wireless.

My 305 is the ducks nuts. I use it paragliding and paddle boarding and kiting. It is fine for a full weekend of cross country flying on a single charge (That's 6-8 hours of flying and track recording). If the 405 is as good but more streamlined then it will be wonderful.

The only problem with the 305 is that it is a little big and looks a bit geeky. The other problem is that you lie down and paddle a surfboard with the heart rate monitor and record your heart rate. The signal gets blocked. It works fine in all other circumstances.

The Garmin software is shit and there are plenty of other products that work better.

Clarencephil
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride

Postby Clarencephil » Thu May 22, 2008 3:32 pm

They specifically say (in the manual) it is NOT meant for swimming.
I have had waterproofness issues with the Foretrex 201 which has the same waterproof norms (1m. /30 mn)

srq kiter
Rare Poster

Postby srq kiter » Thu May 22, 2008 3:52 pm

Its battery life is TWO weeks in watch mode and 8 Hrs in GPS mode.

It recharges via a clip that touch two leads on the back of the unit. The file transfers are done wireless to a USB enabled antenna. Once you get it all configured it works great.

Because there are no plug-in points on the back of the unit for either data transfer or charging purposes, the waterproof ness of the unit is greatly enhanced..

Return to “Kitesurfing”