Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Advice for 2nd Kite - Helix 7m or 9m???

Forum for kitesurfers
m&m
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cabedelo (Viana do Castelo - Portugal)
Esposende (Portugal)
Favorite Beaches: Cabedelo
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Naish Helix 12m + Fanatic Bronson 2006)
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Advice for 2nd Kite - Helix 7m or 9m???

Postby m&m » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:15 pm

Hello!

I´m thinking in buyng a smaller kite.
I ride with a Helix 12m, and a fanatic bronson 134 (2006). My height is about 85Kg.
With the helix 12m i have a good wind range from 13 to 25 knots.
My doubt is a helix 7m or 9m. What´s your advice for me? I like the "tricky style" and waveriding.

Thanks

sourra
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Reflex 141 + Naish Torch/Cult/Momentum/Custom + Bluebottle Custom
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Advice for 2nd Kite - Helix 7m or 9m???

Postby sourra » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:37 am

My thoughts:
For waveriding I'd suggest the Cult 7.5. It connects well to the range of your 12 and is super smooth and stabile in the air like no other kite I have ever tried. The Helix is stabile too but it pulls like a train and that's not what you're after when riding waves. I have the Helix 12 and the Cult 7.5

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:51 am

I have the Helix 7, 9 and 14. All are great kites. My 9 is my most used kite by far.

You could get either the 7 or the 9 to compliment your 12, but most kiters around here who have a two kite quiver choose the 9 and 12 Helix (or Cult). An experienced kiter can ride the 9 in way over 30 knots of wind.

Or go with the Cult as your smaller kite, it handles much like a Helix so there is no problem mixing your quiver.

:wink:
CG

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:31 am

I'd say the 9, it is an awesome kite, and if you can use your 12 most days, that means the 9 will extend those. Of course there is an overlap between the 12 and 7, and you could probably get away with it, but the 9 will IMO fit better...unless you live at a spot where there is either crazy strong winds or hardly any winds...I've been using the 9 helix for exactly what you are looking for, and love it. Cult seems to be popular too though....

The 9 turns fast, and accurately, yet it has that killer pull when you jump...especially in strong winds......I've had mine out in quite a lot of wind, and never felt overpowered.

A.

Return to “Kitesurfing”