Forum for kitesurfers
klausimart
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

north evo 9m or GK Vsonic 8m for a girl

Postby klausimart » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:26 am

Hey guys!

I am searching for a kite for my girlfriend. she has 55kg.

I was searching for kites and I think I will choose one of these 2 kites.
wich one is better and which one starts earlier (because that kite is her only kite then)

is it possible that the vsonic starts with a door at 12,13 kn.? (the evo does!)

so anybody here who can give me some ideas... ?

thx very much,

cheers,
martin

willysand
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: GK GLOBEKITES

Re: north evo 9m or GK Vsonic 8m for a girl

Postby willysand » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:38 pm

klausimart wrote:Hey guys!

I am searching for a kite for my girlfriend. she has 55kg.

I was searching for kites and I think I will choose one of these 2 kites.
wich one is better and which one starts earlier (because that kite is her only kite then)

is it possible that the vsonic starts with a door at 12,13 kn.? (the evo does!)

so anybody here who can give me some ideas... ?

thx very much,

cheers,
martin
Not an esay question. Beacause I am not sure there are a lot of rider wich already try a Sonic ; Trix 09 and Vsonic 08m² with a large board in less that wind and with 55kg.

In that wind I prefere use my 14m² :lol:

But, with my 75kg ; a 09m² Trix and an old AHD 170cm board twin tip I hav ealready kite and jump a little in less 14-16kn.

Vsonic 08m² should be similar.

The own girls who can help your girlfriend are :
- Amber from GK at Mauricius island >> memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=27498" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Kathryn from Durban in RSA by the way from Flyer51 >> memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=12860" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They have got light weight. and Kathryn or Amber use to kite with the 6m² :thumb:

Trix 09m² ; Vsonic 08m² are easy to relaucnh both and each are easy for learning too or go upwind and safe in upwind.

Try to contact Amber or Flyer51.
Note: AMber should be in RSA at this time and may be with Kathryn :roll:

RAS = republic of south africa.

Foxi
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Walchensee - the bavarian caribbean ;-)
Favorite Beaches: Lake Walchensee / Bavaria
Lake Garda / Italy
Paracuru / Brazil
Style: RED
Gear: Fanatic Sky Wing 5.6
Duotone Unit 2 6.0 / 4.5
Sabfoil Kraken M93/F703/S486/S425/W945/W999/W1250
Groove Skate
Moses Onda
Ozone Alpha V1
F-One Trax
North Mono & Neos
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Foxi » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:34 pm

after my 2 weeks trial with the Evo in Brasil I can only repeat: it´s the overall concept that rocks !
The blend between performance, safety and relaunch is a great one in 4-line mode.
I would love to have had an Evo teaching my daughter back 2 years !

Tobias
Rare Poster

Postby Tobias » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:37 pm

Tilman alias Dr.Speed (112km/h GPS Speedrecord) wrote in a german forum.:

....with the Caution Answer in 12 sqm and in beginning of 7 Bft i got 80km/h.
With the GK (Globekites) Trix in 7! at the end of 6 Bft he got 76 km/h
Ask your dealer if he would change the sonic 8 in the 9 Trix if you are not happy with it.

And before you buy compare the qualitys :wink:
Tobias

And the confusion is perfect if you know that 55 kg (frighten) women fly the 11 Sonic up to 25 knots

tille
Rare Poster

Postby tille » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:46 pm

I am pretty sure the VSONIC 8m2 will work for your girlfriend in 12-14 knots on a big board.

I just came back from Puerto Rico where I got to try the VSONIC 8 & 11 on water for the first time. Beeing my first time in the Caribbeans I was not sure how to read the warm winds (used to cold hard winds), and the signs on the palmtrees etc (we don't have palmtrees where I live).

I started one morning with the VSONIC 8m2 and a Litewave Rasta Pro LE 133cm, all alone on the beach. I weigh on a full stomach 73kg.

I was fine, no problems holding the ground, but not enough to do any big jumps, just small jumps off the waves. In the small lulls I had to work the kite active.

After an hour (or so) some other kitesurfers arrived and i noticed they rigged large kites so I went in to talk to them. They were rigging a 15m2 SLE kite, and they assumed the wind was blowing 14-15 knots. I was amazed, but wanted some more power so I rigged my VSONIC 11 (I had left my Litewave Wing Lite Wind at the Hotel).

I have owned both SONIC 2006, SONIC II 2007 and now the VSONIC 2008 (14, 11 and 8 all years + TRIX 9 and 12 in 2007). So far my experience is that the VSONIC has remarkably better low end performance than the previous SONICS, it feels a lot more rigid in the air and it has better (for me) feedback.

The 8m2 has been my favorite in 2006 and 2007, and I have always rigged the smallest size possible. In 2006 and 2007 my 8s got me going in 16-18 knots (I like to work the kites when riding), and it seems that the VSONIC this year can get me going even earlier.

God luck with your choice, get to demo one if you can. And as Tobias says, the 2008 VSONIC has really gone a step or three up in finnish, details and quality from the previous SONICS.

willysand
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: GK GLOBEKITES

Postby willysand » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:22 pm

Hello :bye:,

I open this post just to say that a friend of mine with its 60kg play today with the Vsonic 08m² in 16-18kn of wind very easyly with its standard tiwntip.

Never he feelt the low end... :o

Have a nice week-end all :thumb:

Flyer51
Frequent Poster

Postby Flyer51 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:49 am

I know the questions on this thread relate to the low end performance of the 8 VSonic.
The top end of this kite is also truly amazing.
My wife weighs 49 kgs and uses an 8V.
We have just got back from a 9 day stay in Mauritius, and on some of the days she comfortably used her kite in 25 to 30 knots. She fully depowered the 8 before launch, and never touched the power strap again.
I took lots of video of these sessions, and the amazing thing is the kite looks so stable, with very little fluttering, even in the bigger gusts.
On one of the big days, I spoke to a 100kg kiter standing on the beach. Said he couldn't use his 9 (can't remember the brand) as he "could not hang on". Yet my wife was happily cruising up and down on the 8V!

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:30 pm

Martin whatever you go with it should have rediculously low bar pressure for you.

Remember that ladies have less arm strenght and above all more delicate skin on their hands.
Blisters happen quickly and a girl rightly so doesn't want calluses on their palms.
On the other hand proportionally they have great leg and core strenght.

Don't get me wrong... girls make great kiters and make most guys look like klutzes :thumb:

Flyer51... a 49kg rider on an 8m in 30knots reducing your safety margin too much.
There is a consensus on the forums that "abusing" depower is asking for trouble.
Even a minor equipment failure or a tangle when relaunching could be fatal.
I have seen thing go wrong really fast even with very experienced riders.
You both most likely know what you are doing, but anyone chosing a new kite should be aware
of the risks of "abusing" depower in particular for light riders.

Cheers and be safe

Fred

Flyer51
Frequent Poster

Postby Flyer51 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:26 am

Hi Fred,

I know where you are coming from and have seen it often.

The 8V is rated to 34 knots, and previously I had seen this kite being used by a friend of mine in 33 knot gusts with no trouble at all. She weighs 55kgs and was totally comfortable.
So the kite was well within it's stated (and tested by us many times) useable wind range at 25 to 30 knots.

What makes this kite different to other kites is you can move the forward attachment points forwards or backwards on the LE by about 300mm's using the AKPO. If you move the attachment points as far forward as possible on the LE, the kite becomes very stable. Higher bar pressure, with more bar movement needed for the same amount of kite movement compared to if the attachments are further back.

But of course you are right, as you get closer to the upper limit of a kite's range you increase the risk of things happening fast if something goes wrong.
I would go one step further and say its also true that even with a smaller kite in big winds things go wrong very quickly, especially with a snapped centre line or tangle. The smaller kite moves that much quicker. There is always increased risk in increased wind velocity.
My advice to all is if you are at all unsure of your skills or kite range in bigger winds, just don't go.

Return to “Kitesurfing”