Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

where'd Fo go??

Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: where'd Fo go??

Postby tautologies » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:16 pm

Blowhard...absolute nonsense. Rick would not make up something like that.

Toby: I agree 100% one should not accept abuse and stalking.

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Windrider » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:23 pm

Yo, Rick!
Never knew you had your own section of the forum. Some outstanding information over there. This link has some really impressive photos and wind reading from bizarre wind spikes. Spike from 10 mph to 70?? Jeez. Worth seeing for all.

viewtopic.php?f=131&t=2300711

Good job. That first photo is a real attention grabber. If I saw that one coming, I would certainly run to shore and hide.

STF
Very Frequent Poster

Postby STF » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:49 pm

As anyone whos been around long enough knows, this is not the first time Mr. Fo has been banned, kickd off, ejected from the forum; and a lengthy conversation has took place to discuss said "booting".

Me and the old Fo use to get into it back in the day, as did I and the stupid religious/conservative nutbag Rockstar.

But i allways have the option of skipping their rantings and absurd viewpoints.

I guess here in America we have a different viewpoint of free speech then Zee Germans.

STF

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:29 pm

STF wrote:
I guess here in America we have a different viewpoint of free speech then Zee Germans.
...but this really has absolutely nothing to do with free speech. The First Amendment is pretty straight forward...and irrelevant here.

What is not, is that we seem to tolerate personal attacks almost too well. Not only is it not very nice for the person being attacked, but it hinders and clouds fruitful discussions.

Disagreements are fine, discussing them furiously is fine, but stay on topic not on person (I mean us we all have to do that..not you STF in particular).

ps. nice profile pic.
Last edited by tautologies on Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:10 am

RickI wrote: Try to build something like viewforum.php?f=131
266 post and ~185 replies including the replies to yourself. What am i missing here?

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:04 am

Maybe what the 266 posts say? Not following the import of your logic but let me give it a go.

There is some useful information there aside from entertainment pieces. Some information that to my knowledge hadn't appeared in many other places prior to it being discussed on kiteforum. Things like;

SQUALLS - SOME IDEAS ON AVOIDING THEM (UPDATED 6.11.08)
These articles started to show up around 2002. The number of kiters getting messed up and killed in squalls was excessive, this was one approach to trying to reduce that trend. The articles dealt with weather planning to try to avoid dangerous weather through forecast, radar, satellite and real time Internet records including examples. I don't recall seeing this information in other places in the early days for kiters.

DRAFT Kiteboarding Guidelines
These have been around since 2001, have changed a couple of dozen times and have been picked up by various concerns worldwide. They've been derived from analysis of hundreds of accidents and incidents. Some use them, some don't. They're being updated now to allow for changes brought on by flat and high depower kites. Things were more simplistic in some ways with traditional C kites and more dangerous based on fatalities.

Worried about losing access?
These articles were started in 2001 and updated through time as new ideas came online. Access concerns a lot of us, here were some ideas to consider to try to preserve it. They were developed from discussions with people worldwide over many years about threats to access and resolution when it came about.

IMPORTANT --> Flat Kite PM
This came out early after the appearance of flat kites in the market place. It was largely derived from concerns about the lack of effective PM and what it might do to the major depowering capability of flat kites. Not many accidents or incidents had happened at this point. I was expecting some though in the future. The content was derived from lots of discussions on here and with a bunch of leading kiteboarding developers and T&E types.

Severe Lofting - Jupiter, FL, USA
This was a fairly recent, severe lofting that was survived. In fact the 18 year old victim was given last rites on Sunday and released on Tylenol alone on Wednesday a few days later. He played pocket billards bouncing bodily off of and smashing through a bunch of objects over a 600 ft. lateral course overland. It exemplified a number of important factors and things to avoid. This things had been seen before of course but as the accident was near where I live, just about an hour north, I was able to do some indepth evaluation.

Kiteboarding Hand Signals, Something to start using
After I learned of a severe accident in England in around 2002 involving miscommunication during launch, the kiter saw a line problem and yelled "NO!" the assistant heard "GO!" and let go of the kite. The man slammed into a seawall, severed a flag pole and stove in the side of a truck bodily. He lived fortunately enough. All this for want of a better way of communicating. I figured divers have standard hand signals, why not kiters? So, I put this together and tried to promote it. It is far from Internationally recognized but that doesn't remove the need for some system of hand signals to come into uniform use among kiters.

SURF ... a new way
I had heard about Standup Paddle Surfing in 2005 and thought this could really take off in a lot of areas. So, I interviewed the guy that told me about it from Maui and put an article together. There was coverage in surfing magazines at the time but I don't think it was that wide spread in kiting circles yet. The industry really started to promote it and it seems to have caught on pretty widely.

Towing to Oblivion ...
An analysis of an early tow up accident in 2003 or was it 2002 with consideration of why it is not a good idea. People still do it, hopefully not as many.

60 MILE DOWNWINDER PRE-RACE, 33 mph, 15 ft. seas!!!
There are a number of events covered here with extensive photos in most cases. This was before the actual race and the one that followed a year later. Given the high wind, seas and challenges of just making it 60 miles through the washing machine, it is my favorite of the three runs. It was put together to help racers learn land marks distances and precautions in the actual events. It's not unique but it sure was fun!

Incredible High Wind & Sea Rescue in Australia and
Kiteboarders Rescue Three Teenagers From Heavy Surf!!!
Lots of us were concerned about negative press kiting periodically received. At the same time some among our number are truly remarkable watermen that actually save lives. I thought it would be good to create a series of articles highlighting these rescues in detail. The intent is to give well earned recognition to these guys and provide a ready set of articles about some of the incredible good our sport has done. In many of these rescues we were the only parties close enough to do much good that could move through the heavy seas. I am not aware of another series like this but it would be good if there were more.

Getting To Know Hybrid ("Flat") Kites
I've written a few dozen articles for various magazines. Some of them have been reproduced in this column. They cover a variety of topics and if I think it is worth passing on the info here, they show up here.

FLORIDA TO BAHAMAS KITEBOARDING RACE - PHOTOS!!!
This was a fun event and the first of its kind. Lots of photos and rider observations.

Katrina ... A Sea Story, A Submarine And A Prize
This story talked about the premier of the kiteboarding movie "Into the Air" before and after Hurricane Katrina photos in Key West and the launch of a fund raiser for the Gulf States following this horrible hurricane.

CABRINHA PARTY, CROSSBOW DEBUT OFFSHORE IN STILTSVILLE!!!
There is even some photo illustrated party coverage. This was a fun one and the first BOW kite from Cabrinha was introduced during the fun.

CLAUDIO FIGHTING HARD TO RECOVERY ... AND LOOKING GOOD!
Claudio Silva was paralyzed in his lower legs as a result of a kiteboarding accident. Through kiteforum, the global kiteboarding community responded with in a big way with amazing prize donations worldwide which were raffled off to kiters worldwide. The generosity and spirit in this effort were amazing. We raised about $25,000 for Claudio in 2005 which at the time was the most that had been raised in a kiting effort to my knowledge.

Helmet Certifications and Performance For Kiteboarding and
Good Helmet Article From An Expert
Lots of safety articles naturally enough including quite a few on helmets. The ones talking about helmet attributes for kiting started in around 2002 and have evolved through time. I couldn't find much discussion about what makes for a good helmet for kiting in those years outside of those early discussions on kiteforum. There were also the subject of magazine articles, some of which appear in here from around 2002 and on.

There are a lot of firsts in there. For instance when Best Kiteboarding wanted to let the world know they were getting into the business, they asked me to write the announcement for kiteforum. Talk about a turbulent few years, today though not much controversy left. An early announcement for the first issue of The Kiteboarder Magazine appears here presenting some of the ideas the staff had for this new publication. Many fatalities are analyzed here in hopes of avoid repetition, again this information appears first on kiteforum as a rule and is copied to this column. Ten Ideas For Safer Kiteboarding appears here. This was a collaboration of kiters from around the world in response to five kiteboarding fatalities in one month. There were intended to improve the accident experience. Guys translated them into seven different languages, they were published in a number of kiting magazines worldwide and distributed through shops. To my knowledge, this was the first effort of this kind. There are many other topics covered in the column, look around.

This could go on for a while but fortunately as you pointed out there are only 266 posts. They represent a fair amount of time and ideas from lots of people worldwide with the primary intent of making our sport more sustainable. A favor if you will. Please, before launching more criticisms, take a good look at (read) what is of issue.

Also, think about this. How easy do you think it is to stay motivated and on point researching, discussing, brainstorming and posting about this stuff with some of the hostile responses we've been talking about here? You spend fifty hours putting together a single article to have it barbecued by a very few individuals in an abusive flame fest for entertainment? This response is repeated dozens of times for years! This stuff isn't perfect, has holes, needs constructive commentary as with most things. It represents a great deal of communication and constructive input over many years. What it doesn't need is a bunch of wild flaming for entertainments sake. I could give you a list of the things that were NEVER brought about for that reason. When I was talking about trying to build something, this is what I meant. There is building then there is trying to tear it down for fun, both are contributions, I'll choose the former. Think about it if you will.

tungsten222

Postby tungsten222 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:31 pm

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.
Last edited by tungsten222 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blowhard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby blowhard » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:14 pm

tautologies wrote:Blowhard...absolute nonsense. Rick would not make up something like that.

Toby: I agree 100% one should not accept abuse and stalking.
those comments could be a compilation of comments bunched together
from various undocumented Pm's and other posts
without rebuttel and out of context
Not much doubt Fo probably has used those words aplenty
but in relation to what?

More top down safety
That won't stand scrutiny

I would say that if you would like to stir the pot
just call Fo some names

thaswisskid
Medium Poster
Local Beach: f*** face
Favorite Beaches: n/a
Gear: asfadfvwsadfc

Postby thaswisskid » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:13 pm

I don't get you rickl.....................you keep whining, giving dump ass reasons why fo was banned, keep fliping topics
I know you have made some great contributions to this sport and thats why I won't go any further, I just don't know what points you are trying to make sometimes,
Fo could only take so much of your BS then he snapped and got banned
You win kiteforum is yours

Kevin Salter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: 09 Eclipse Kima's, Surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None ride what I like

Postby Kevin Salter » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:33 pm

thaswisskid wrote:I don't get you rickl.....................you keep whining, giving dump ass reasons why fo was banned, keep fliping topics
I know you have made some great contributions to this sport and thats why I won't go any further, I just don't know what points you are trying to make sometimes,
Fo could only take so much of your BS then he snapped and got banned
You win kiteforum is yours
And you win cos,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Fo can't reply anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get the drift Rick,,,,,,,,, Everytime you come on this thread you shoot yourself in the foot.

You might think you've won the battle but ,,,,,,,,,,,,,Have you lost the war???????????????

Return to “Kitesurfing”