Forum for kitesurfers
.Joel
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: where'd Fo go??

Postby .Joel » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:19 am

Kevin Salter wrote:Forums need members. Without members a forum can't exist, so I think your view is a bit off the mark.

As for free speech isn't that what every one is entitled to ?
No Kevin, my comments are directly on the mark and your understanding of what a private website is may be a little off the mark. Just because you can type a web address and have free access to something doesn't mean you get free speech. You have no right to free speech here, period. You have no right to an account here, period. Just as I have no right to free speech here, and I have no right to an account here. This website is completely opt-in.

Let's not floss and bullshit in this topic and pretend a website is something that it's not. This fantastic website is built by Toby for us to use, we get to use it under a set of guidelines, these guidelines are not a democracy, they are rules decided by Toby the owner and operator of this website.

We are allowed to discuss, use, interact and partake on this website within the guidelines, a framework which stipulates to what extent we can interact, partake and discuss. This website is not a "foundation" with a democratic board, it is not a government / tax payer funded facility for us to use, it is a private website where we all agreed to the rules on signup when we "opted" to join. Therefor by holding an account on this website you agree to abide by those rules.

The great thing about the internet is that you have choice, and nobody is holding anyone hostage here. People don't like this website, fine go elsewhere, partake elsewhere. For those of us that enjoy it here, enjoy the flow of information here, and really don't have an issue with the guidelines we will stay around to enjoy this website.

This website is no different to a house, where if Toby was hosting a party we would all be invited to join. The party would be quite dull without people, as a forum is quite dull without members. However we remain in the house at the discretion of the host, not the guests. If a particular guest is running around tormenting other guests then naturally the host will remove them from the party.

This website is under private ownership, just like the Flexifoil forum. Here's a post from a Moderator on Flexifoil.
Just a moderators point of view here, but if you don't like the way we moderate the forums, leave.

You don't have any 'right' of free speech here, this is an entirely voluntary 'opt in' system where you chose to read and post, not a public area where your rights to free speech are protected. On the other hand, the expressed and actual right reserved by Flexifoil to "remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason without notice" is legally binding, and by using these forums you accept that.

So, the next time you wonder why a thread criticising Flexifoil's pricing, products, customer service or forum moderation is deleted, don't complain about it, because you have no grounds for complaint.

Hope that's all clear for everyone. Happy posting.
I hope that clears thing up a little for you Kevin, and you understand that having a membership here means yourself, myself and everybody else needs to abide by the guidelines set out by Toby. We don't make those rules, we don't get a choice in those, we simply accept those guidelines by having an account here.

Regards,

.Joel

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:56 am

blowhard wrote: I said we need more love (back patting)and less hate (disrespect)

In my expierence people who have an axe to grind have some issuses themselves
revolving around the thing they purport to dislike so much

gay bashers are a prime example
okay, sorry I re-read, and I agree actually.... (sorry, didn;t mean to misinterpret you)

A

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:27 am

Although I think clearly defined guidelines for what is acceptable behavior is ultimately making the sites better, since the security of predictability is something that attracts users, and thus advertisements, Toby has nothing to defend. It is all his prerogative. Why Rick is pulled into this at all is beyond me. Not only has he had to deal all the nonsense from Fo, because a lot of it is, but now he has to answer some question about how Toby banned Fo? Just does not make any sense.to me.

So guys, IMO, ask for clear guidelines on what is acceptable or not, but asking for freedom of speech is just silly. If you want freedom of speech, make your own forum..and speak freely there :-)

I cannot understand why some people think it is acceptable to behave abusively on a forum....I am guessing that the person would NEVER behave like that in a face to face conversation.

my 5 cents
a.

Celine
Medium Poster

Postby Celine » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:34 am

Clearly what is needed here is a public trial. Fo gets access to one thread. Toby makes the case for the prosecution, Fo, or his appointed representative, (as if he could be quiet long enough to let some one else do the job) makes the case for the defense. At the end of 5 days its put to a vote of forum members - should he stay or should he go.....

then we carry on with one forum member per week, and the last remaining forum member gets 1 million bucks....

tungsten222

Postby tungsten222 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:59 am

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.
Last edited by tungsten222 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin Salter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: 09 Eclipse Kima's, Surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None ride what I like

Postby Kevin Salter » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:21 am

.Joel wrote:
I hope that clears thing up a little for you Kevin, and you understand that having a membership here means yourself, myself and everybody else needs to abide by the guidelines set out by Toby. We don't make those rules, we don't get a choice in those, we simply accept those guidelines by having an account here.

Regards,

.Joel
Didn't need anything cleared up. I understand how it all works and think your post is a bit OT. You may be technically right, but your this is how it is, doesn't leave much room for humour and a bit of good old fashion B/S that makes forums a bit more fun.

The simple point I was trying to make is that from my perspective as an experienced kiter who is not brand affiliated , the forum often falls victim to agendas on threads from brand pimps, and that would see me out of here far more than any posts would from the likes of Fo.

So,,,,,,,,,,,,,I was simply questioning if dealing with Fo was really of any real concern to the average forum user like myself.

.Joel
Medium Poster

Postby .Joel » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:06 pm

Kevin Salter wrote:You may be technically right, but your this is how it is, doesn't leave much room for humour and a bit of good old fashion B/S that makes forums a bit more fun.
I don't see anywhere where Toby has asked you to leave your personality at the door when coming on here. All that is being asked is respect towards one another. Fun B/S is good, personal attacks and inflammatory B/S post after post is not constructive.

Regards,

.Joel

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:00 pm

But, who now will point out the hypocrisy?

Who will be the "canary in the coal mine"? Who will be the "gadfly"? What other horse will be so sensitive to the "bur under his saddle"?

kitegrommet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitegrommet » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:19 pm

What happened to talking about kiting?

Who really cares if a "screenname" can't post, does that effect your LIFE in some way?
I can still kite, I've never met Fo, and even if I had, I can live and kite without reading or not reading posts by him/her.

This has NO REAL impact, I'm amazed you guys really care so much.........Really???

Life is good when the wind blows, I'm keeping my SB3's this year, looking for a new surfboard to add to my 6ft DC quad, maybe going to try a race board shape.

Isn't that what this is about, do you REALLY "miss" Fo???????????

I miss wind, can't wait to get back to Brazil.

Fair wind and Following Seas mates,,,,,,,

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:23 pm

kitegrommet wrote:
Who really cares if a "screenname" can't post, does that effect your LIFE in some way?
I can still kite, I've never met Fo, and even if I had, I can live and kite without reading or not reading posts by him/her.

This has NO REAL impact, I'm amazed you guys really care so much.........Really???

In my opinion it is not about one poster. I did not read all of Fo's post. What I did read was interesting. however, there were times when he either seemed to be posting intoxicated or was writing in a code only he understood. I think he was his own best fan.

It is about moving towards a bland forum. I have seen this happen on a political forum I use to visit daily. They banned one person for similar reasons that Fo is gone. Then they stared banning others for violating what appeared to increasingly stringent rules. The end result was most all of the dissenting opinions and independent thinkers were either banned or driven off to other forums with better and more balance content. I predict the same will eventually happen here. You will get more hypersensitive whiners and politically correct mindsets controlling content with their complaints because these little bitches cant ignore post they do not like. Instead of growing a pair and STFU they choose to be insulted and complain. The squeaky wheel gets the oil and independent thought is suppressed.

Toby will think he made the right choice because traffic at this forum will continue to increase and that is what brings in revenue. I can fault him for that. It is his site and he can do whatever he wants with it, however the increase in traffic will only be due to the increased popularity of the sport and not due as a result of quality content. Eventually the content will become more bland with clandestine pimps posting and perspectives that go unchallenged by unaffiliated independent thinkers, Boring Boring Boring

I prefer not to see this website I have enjoyed go the direction it is going. Ultimately those interested in a greater diversity of opinions will go elsewhere for their information and entertainment. This will allow other forums to emerge and challenge Kite Forums popularity.

Return to “Kitesurfing”