North Vegas 9m² 2010
North Vegas 7m² 2010
North Team Series 131cm 2011
Mystic Warrior III Len10 2012
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

SS plz make RPM better!

Postby dandaka » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:05 am

I'm riding RPMs for few months. They are really nice kites, but some things are super annoying. I want to share my list of quickfixes, that can improve this kite a lot. Hope SS will listen to this feedback.
ss-ready.jpg
1. Depower construction

You have to admit, this construction is simply bad design. I have seen quite a few of SS kites riders, all of them are pointing on this part as a biggest flaw in SS bar. Not even one was happy with it. It is not a matter of taste — it is really difficult to depower kite with such tool. You need to put 2x more effort, comparing to above-the-bar system.

2. Depower rope starts to wear pretty fast

I've seen this picture on 4 RPM 2012 (2 mine, 2 of my friend). Maybe additional reinforcement here?

3. Velcro starts to open after 3 month of use

Connection of donkey dick to bar with velcro is not a good idea. After some use velcro starts to peel of. Maybe something different?

4. Tubes are opening without effort

Every 5 session I fix all rubber pipes, because they start to open. I spend 3-5 minutes to do this. Why can't you put something more solid here, like rigid plastic connectors? (see North)

5. Plastic buckle on rubber tubes is always open after session

I crash my kite a lot. So every time I land my kite, all buckles are opened. There should be better ways to lock these tubes.

6. Valve is always open after session

After every session inflation valve looks like this. Kite is usually deflated because of it. Again check North and other brands, that solved this issue with better closing tools.

Spinner on lines doesn't work after 50% of my jumps

Ok, it still better, than other systems. It works in 50% of jumps. But other 50% is still annoying — I have to put donkey dick back, pull the center lines, untwist spinner, kite is depowered and stalling...

That is all from me. I think all these issues are easy and cheap to fix, they can improve perception of this kite greatly.

dafish
Medium Poster
Local Beach: jervis bay nsw
Style: surf/ oldschool
Gear: xenon la luz
xenon Vidra
xenon Prisma
Brand Affiliation: small potato rep

Re: SS plz make RPM better!

Postby dafish » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:01 am

maybe stop crashing so much! No, seriously...I have never been a fan of the below the bar clam cleat they employ. I love their kites, but have moved on.. Still fly my 9 and 7 Rev2s.Never had issues with the kites except the below the bar depower and wear of the rope. There have been times I have crashed my kite and lost air, it happens sometimes....Your crashes must have some very strong impacts to have the valves pop up like the photo all the time.
The donkey dick used to be a swivel ball you put in with an allen key. Never had an issue with that.
I like the look of the Rpm, I mainly ride waves, but I am happy with the kites that I have. I do believe you are right about the bar, biggest let down on kites that fly unreal.

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jumarcil » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:20 pm

I had a RPM 2009 back then which I liked pretty good but the depower system is probably the one thing that made me get rid of that kite.

It was a pain to depower that kite in major gust + I also released that kite one time in 35 knots gusts while trying to use the depower cleat... It wasn't the first time that I had released by mistake but that time I was in the middle of a big river with a lot of maritime traffic. You know those big COSTCO boat :-(

Cant believe that they still use that system.

exuma kitesurfing
Medium Poster

Postby exuma kitesurfing » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:46 pm

flying ss since 2001 love them and use them for my school.
don't know what you're doing, but even my students who crash the kites a lot don't have these problems. the only problem i've had is "2" and i think that can be cured by removing the plastic tube. ss, seriously, what does this do except fray the rope?, just askin'.
try grabbing depower rope with small finger down, pressuring the rope - not between your index finger and thumb - yes it's a pain if you don't use this method.
while we're bitching - ss, please get rid of the fastrac! "oh wait, hang on, i have to quickly change my stance" when do you ever here that? include pumps with kite! charge more if you have to. seriously, this pisses buyers off and cheapens your brand image..

doublerumandcoke
Frequent Poster

Postby doublerumandcoke » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:49 pm

Yeap, the kite is great but the bar isn't the best. It does have some good features but the below the bar isn't ideal (clean but a pain). The 1pump clips do undo if the kite is crashed hard which defeats their objective if you loose LE pressure.

Your other OPTION is to buy the kite but with a bar you like. Or modify the bar like i did. Put in a strap under the spinning swivel. It makes your depower smaller a bit at low oend of the kite but thats usually not when you need extra depower !!

I hear they are designing a new bar and that most want above the bar depower, so maybe for 2013 it will be a reality. My favourite bar id from Airush currently.

DRC

bob10
Frequent Poster

Postby bob10 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:14 pm

regards to valve opening,,, make sure that after each session, you remove the valve when you pack away. that way it doesnt stretch.. same with every kite..

but yours is stretched now

dandaka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kaliningrad, Russia
Favorite Beaches: Boracay, Philippines / Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: unhooked / newschool / wakestyle
Gear: North Vegas 12m² 2012
North Vegas 9m² 2010
North Vegas 7m² 2010
North Team Series 131cm 2011
Mystic Warrior III Len10 2012

Postby dandaka » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:18 pm

bob10 wrote:make sure that after each session, you remove the valve when you pack away. that way it doesnt stretch.. same with every kite..
What do you mean "remove the valve"?

exuma kitesurfing
Medium Poster

Postby exuma kitesurfing » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:31 pm

remove the "in" valve plug (the one you use for inflation) after your session. if your valve is stretched, you can place the valve in hot water (valve only) this will expanded it a little and give you a tighter fit.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:10 pm

Yep never leave valves in, it b*****s them up

consumer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby consumer » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:19 pm

I disagree with a few pts dude.

(2011 fuels no affiliation with SS)
1. I used to feel the same way about the below the bar depower, but I learned that it has huge advantages- for example the bar can have a much greater throw now. I don't have as many tangling issues with an above the bar system, either. Yes it is much more difficult to depower, but for me it's really not that big of a deal.

2. The wear and tear of the center line does look bad, but it holds up (2seasons now of abuse). It's supposedly easy to replace too.

3. On my most used bar the stitching on the donkey dick did begin to tear- I got a new one free from SS and it has yet to be an issue again.

4/5. Never had this problem. I removed my clips when I replaced my tubes on one of my kites because they are useless. I also pump my fuels stiff enough to hold their shape but pump to expect a slam.

6. I MAY have had this happen to me once actually. I think their chaing the inflate valve is a good idea- I think we should have the option to use over the valve inflation tips for our pumps for less resistance when pumping( like north).

Hope you get your issues resolved.

Return to “Kitesurfing”