Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Most Dangerous and aggresive locations in the SE UK

Forum for kitesurfers
ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Most Dangerous and aggresive locations in the SE UK

Postby ronnie » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:34 am

So there has been one serious injury to a kitesurfer who collided with some rocks at Lancing and accidents have occurred at other places on the south coast of England is your answer?

legal_eagle
Rare Poster
Local Beach: UK
Favorite Beaches: bali
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby legal_eagle » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:11 am

ronnie wrote:So there has been one serious injury to a kitesurfer who collided with some rocks at Lancing and accidents have occurred at other places on the south coast of England is your answer?

That's essentially correct but there have been quite a number of accidents at Lancing (including a fatality) that we know about because the BKSA (and it would appear Toby) will go to extreme lengths to keep these issues out of the public domain censoring safety discussion so we never get to fully understand the circumstances or lessons that can be learned to prevent a repetition which breaks every rule of safety management.

This is because the BKSA makes the vast majority of its income from selling poor quality insurance to the masses who don't look too closely at the detail of their policy and (after they have paid themselves exorbitant salaries) they squander that in doomed legal actions that result in their having to pay huge costs.

Just look at the amount of income they received last year (huge) and ask yourself how many events they organised (very few that actually went ahead anyway) and you will start to get the picture.

BigPaul
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Manchester
Style: Free ride
Gear: North

Postby BigPaul » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:21 am

Steve. Sorry legal eagle.

For someone who believes he knows the courts you seem happy to commit slander?

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:42 am

Hurting a 3rd party would be an issue, not people hurting themself.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:55 pm

legal_eagle wrote:
ronnie wrote:So there has been one serious injury to a kitesurfer who collided with some rocks at Lancing and accidents have occurred at other places on the south coast of England is your answer?

That's essentially correct but there have been quite a number of accidents at Lancing (including a fatality) that we know about because the BKSA (and it would appear Toby) will go to extreme lengths to keep these issues out of the public domain censoring safety discussion so we never get to fully understand the circumstances or lessons that can be learned to prevent a repetition which breaks every rule of safety management.

This is because the BKSA makes the vast majority of its income from selling poor quality insurance to the masses who don't look too closely at the detail of their policy and (after they have paid themselves exorbitant salaries) they squander that in doomed legal actions that result in their having to pay huge costs.

Just look at the amount of income they received last year (huge) and ask yourself how many events they organised (very few that actually went ahead anyway) and you will start to get the picture.
That sounds confusing.

So it is essentially correct that there has been one serious (probably could be termed near fatal) accident at Lancing where a kiter injured himself. The question then is, did that happen before the meeting which you were criticising the decision making of.

I'm not clear on who the 'we' are that knows about a fatality that has been kept out of the public domain by the BKSA. So are you saying that the BKSA can keep the details of the death of someone out of the public domain?

balugh
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hunstanton, Brancaster, and other beaches in Norfolk
Favorite Beaches: ...I need to travel more...:-(
Style: Free ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 15M
North Rebel 11M
North Rebel 8m
Ozone Light 7m
Spleene Session 140
SuperShinn 135
Brand Affiliation: www.kite-eze.com

Postby balugh » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:08 am

Must say that I find the original posters purpose difficult to fathom. Is he trying to warn people away from Lancing? Is he trying to improve it? Maybe these two questions are related? Is it just the frustrated venting of someone with no other outlets? The conversation seemed to morph very quickly beyond normal sledging....so should I just go kiting and forget I ever tried to understand wtf is going on in this thread....?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:29 am

Just go kiting and forget about that guy, not worth any more time!

Candleflame
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Southeast England
Gear: Cab. Switchblade

Postby Candleflame » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:06 pm

sorry for resurrecting this thread. I learned at Lancing beach and the whole beach is pretty sandy with some stones (cant use lancing at high tide as there are groines and a pipe which become submerged) There is a massive pipe with some rocks dividing the beach though. However, people tend to set up east of the pipe and the winds are usually westerly. The water is superflat for ages so learners can kite quite far out. Really not sure how someone was able to collide with rocks there.

The real issue with Lancing beach is the fact that it is massively overcrowded in the summermonths with most people having no ideas about collision avoidance rules for sailing vessles. A lot of people either migrate a few km east to Shoreham or go west towards Goring/Preston/Rustington. Much better vibe at those places compared to Lancing too.

Windsurfers seemed to have all gone to little local beaches you won't know about unless someone shows you around.

North_Wind
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Big Bay, Cape Town
Style: cruising and jumping
Gear: Duotone

Postby North_Wind » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:57 am

Do not engage with this person. He is a serial litigant and the BKSA stepped in to defend various people he vexatiously tried to sue. It wen't nowhere (because it was vexatious) but was stressful to the people involved. There was no "costs order".

Toby - I don't know what your policy is on banning people ... but this person is very damaging to the kitesurfing (and sailing) scene here in the UK because his relentless attacks on people who help to organise beaches/clubs etc. leads to them giving up their (volunteer) positions just so they don't have to deal with him and his poison pen emails/letters any more. If it was my forum I would block his IP address but it's your forum and up to you.

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: North, Shinn, Zeeko foil

Postby Lokihel » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:33 am

North_Wind wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:57 am
Do not engage with this person. He is a serial litigant and the BKSA stepped in to defend various people he vexatiously tried to sue. It wen't nowhere (because it was vexatious) but was stressful to the people involved. There was no "costs order".

Toby - I don't know what your policy is on banning people ... but this person is very damaging to the kitesurfing (and sailing) scene here in the UK because his relentless attacks on people who help to organise beaches/clubs etc. leads to them giving up their (volunteer) positions just so they don't have to deal with him and his poison pen emails/letters any more. If it was my forum I would block his IP address but it's your forum and up to you.
4 years later I hope things have moved on :lol:

Return to “Kitesurfing”