Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Timmy is in the hospital (kitesurfing accident)

Forum for kitesurfers
NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Timmy is in the hospital (kitesurfing accident)

Postby NHKitesurfer » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:12 pm

plummet wrote:
NHKitesurfer wrote:Please keep this on topic if possible. It's great he'll be ok and GREAT to have riders alongside you ready to save your life if necessary.

While he has insurance through his employer he will be responsible for paying deductibles, paying what his insurer does not pay when he reaches his payout ceilings and he'll be on short term disability for a bit while he recovers and this pays out only 60% of your income.
I'll be honest. This does not seem like there are need for donation. A guy crashes, almost dies, stays in hospital for a couple of days he has medical insurance and has to cover the excess himself. He doesn't have any major life changing injuries.

That is the risk you take when indulging in a risky activity. Take the risk on and withstand the consequences when it goes wrong.

My buddy crashed off his mountain bike yesterday. He dislocated and broke his wrist in 3 places and cracked his pelvis. He's going in for 2 operations on the wrist and one on the hip to get it pinned. He'll be layed up for some time.... Our system pays for hospital expenses and 80% of income. Should we set up a fund for my buddies lost 20% of income while he recovers?

The answer is no.

On a side note. If the topic is kept completely on topic it will slide down the page and be lost in a short time. So... Off topic discussion keeps the topic at the top of the page and more likely hood of more donations to your buddy.
I'm just grateful people have made generous contributions to help someone in need. Timmy would never ask for a dime even if he desperately needed it yet he'd be the first to offer you the last dime in his pocket even if you were a complete stranger.

As a side note I hope your friend has a quick recovery and would think the mountain biking community would rally to help him out.

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:25 am

I think it is fine to setup a donation activity. No one has to give and this is something the Europeans and I guess Australians (although this is not what I know from Australia having my bro living there) don't know is how much Americans are looking one after another and the community spirit you feel. People donate to the parish, universities, hospitals, kids needing surgeries, kids wanting to make it to the olympics... They donate, they help, they volunteer, even to wrestle a terrorist in a train while in Europe. They step forward.

Not your cup of tea, espresso or vegemite spread... Just don't give. Some pro European kiter got cancer and asked for support. All care covered in his neck of the wood, plenty of time to return on a regular flight... Right or wrong? Who cares, you want to give? Give you don't want to? Don't.

I am from a place where healthcare is covered but I understand the process they are going through...Every country has its third world slice of population... Every

kitepilot
Medium Poster

Postby kitepilot » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:00 am

Plummet you are a dick.
Only you could turn this thread into degrading US. And then blaming this poor accident victim.
If you don't want to contribute to this guys cause then don't, just shut the f&@k up.
Can't wait for Karma to catch up with you, it will.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:40 am

I think Plummet words are not to degrade US. I don't know how it works in NZ but from what he wrote it seems it's like here in Italy, where medical assistant is (apparently) totally for free. In a case like Timmy's one, an italian citizen does not have to pay a dime, everything we need is for free, including elicopter assistance, ICU, hospital and so on. We normally sign an additional insurance (or we have to pay) if we desire to be assisted "privately" (that means we choose the doctor, we don't have to wait for specialized visit and so on). I wrote "apparently" for free because it's actually not for free: every worker automatically pay part of his wage every month for medical assistance. The only difference is that here in Italy it's mandatory and totally automatic, if e.g. the company you work for is paying for you 200, you actually get about 100/120, the rest is money that goes to the central system, part taxes, part for medical assistance. So in effect we also pay for medical assistance but the "insurance" is automatic and mandatory. This thing may be considered both good or bad. Bad for the fact that our actual wages are far lower than US ones. Good for the fact that everyone, rich or poor, can have the same total assistance.

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:15 am

pmaggie wrote:I think Plummet words are not to degrade US. I don't know how it works in NZ but from what he wrote it seems it's like here in Italy, where medical assistant is (apparently) totally for free. In a case like Timmy's one, an italian citizen does not have to pay a dime, everything we need is for free, including elicopter assistance, ICU, hospital and so on. We normally sign an additional insurance (or we have to pay) if we desire to be assisted "privately" (that means we choose the doctor, we don't have to wait for specialized visit and so on). I wrote "apparently" for free because it's actually not for free: every worker automatically pay part of his wage every month for medical assistance. The only difference is that here in Italy it's mandatory and totally automatic, if e.g. the company you work for is paying for you 200, you actually get about 100/120, the rest is money that goes to the central system, part taxes, part for medical assistance. So in effect we also pay for medical assistance but the "insurance" is automatic and mandatory. This thing may be considered both good or bad. Bad for the fact that our actual wages are far lower than US ones. Good for the fact that everyone, rich or poor, can have the same total assistance.
And what if you're not an Italian citizen? Say you're a, I dunno, a fifth columnist?, is it free in that case?

I know the answer, I have the video footage, I just want to see it from you for future historical purposes. What is your full name?

Edit: "Citizen of Italy"
Last edited by corbett on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:33 am

plummet wrote:
On a side note. What a backwards third world country

Also if you live in this third world country
Don't force me to post pictures of your Maori Plummet because then we'll see which country really is backwards.

PS: why do you put up with these criminals and beggers?

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Postby alamos_kiter » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:42 am

kitepilot wrote:Plummet you are a dick.
Only you could turn this thread into degrading US. And then blaming this poor accident victim.
If you don't want to contribute to this guys cause then don't, just shut the f&@k up.
Can't wait for Karma to catch up with you, it will.
Interesting comment. Do you feel the US health care system is inferior?

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:02 pm

Get well soon Tim.

I live in Boston , the center of the Medical world. I can tell you one thing , if you are seriously injured or ill and need the best care on the planet, you will likely find yourself in the US.
Open markets and less Goverment will always produce the finest product. Our system has its issues and needs some more tweaking, which hopefully we will resolve soon...

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:31 pm

Do-it wrote:I'm going to need to see some x rays. :naughty:
Hey i think heard that one liner from you before :wink:

Get well soon Timmy :D

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:49 pm

get well soon Timmy.

Return to “Kitesurfing”