Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Impending trade war: Tariffs affecting the kite industry?

Forum for kitesurfers
hongchew
Medium Poster
Gear: airush
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Impending trade war: Tariffs affecting the kite industry?

Postby hongchew » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:59 pm

POACHER wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:17 pm
Yeah you have to wonder with so much equipment being made in China that something has to give.

I was just told that one of my outboard motor suppliers that is made in China is getting a 10% price incrase effective as of August 1st. That's substantial....and it will hurt our company for sure. I'm more concerned with the prices of raw materials getting out of hand (more so than now) like timber, steel and aluminum. That will have some serious economic repercussions.

CrazyFly's move to all EU constructed kites/boards could prove to be brilliant in the very near future.
Ozone is just fine with their factory in Sri Lanka, thank you very much.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:10 pm

After the trade war there will be peace which will benefit all consumers, if it brakes out at all. Every party will wait until the very last moment of negotiations and all will be fine. US is holding the cards and will sort everyone to it's and surprisingly other party's (apart from politics) interest.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:00 pm

Just in: U.S. IS SAID POISED TO RELEASE $200 BILLION CHINA TARIFF LIST
China? tick tock tick tock......

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Copenhagen, most of Denmark and northern Germany.
Style: Biting off more than I can usually chew.
Gear: XR5, Fusion 3.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby SaltWaterDog » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:58 pm

hongchew wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:52 pm
matth wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:47 pm
800 billion dollar trade deficit for the US, 500 billion with China alone. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
So every iPhone that was made in China but shipped back to the US adds to the US deficit with China. But how much of the fat profit Apple gets from each iPhone goes to China? Yeah, peanuts.
During the campaign Trump argued the profit margins of Asian manufacturers was to blame. In reality it’s about 6 cents on the dollar. 40 cents goes straight to Cupertino. Or rather, a tax haven. Profit margins are minimal for Asian manufacturers because big tech can just up and move production in a matter of days if they want to.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:33 am

Here is the product list. I don't see anything kite related so far.
https://www.scribd.com/document/3836122 ... from_embed

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:50 am

FLandOBX wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:40 pm
JustAGirl wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:16 pm
......Trump’s plan is to empower smaller companies like kite companies that are run more like a family business than big draconian global corporations.

It’s GOOD NEWS! Not war news 🙄
????? Tell that to America's small farmers.
Of course Trumps voting base is targeted first by the Chinese and EU counter measures.
China and EU don't want the trade war Trump is so eager to start. The only way of influencing this guy seems to be via his voters...

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:48 am

bjw wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:23 pm
The US imports nearly 3 times from China than China imports from the US, so theoretically the USA has the upper hand in negotiations as they have the coin to spend.

Don't forget this is about negotiating better deals, not about blanket tariffs and tax revenue.
Yes but the president personally owes Chinese banks at least a half billion dollars. They've got his nuts in their upper hand too :lol:

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:09 am

Peert wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:50 am
China and EU don't want the trade war Trump is so eager to start. The only way of influencing this guy seems to be via his voters...
I’m guessing you’re pretty confident that you have unbiased sources upon which you base your assertions, and that you’re pretty confident you’re right. You speak as if you really know what you’re talking about.

I’m a lot less confident that you’re right, but I think it’s pretty cool that people are free to criticize an American president again. A few years ago anyone who dared to criticize our president was called either a racist or an Uncle Tom. Today, the very people who wouldn’t allow anyone to criticize our last president are the first ones to criticize the current one.

Lovely stuff.

hongchew
Medium Poster
Gear: airush

Postby hongchew » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:17 am

loco4viento wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:09 am
Peert wrote:
I’m guessing you’re pretty confident that you have unbiased sources upon which you base your assertions, and that you’re pretty confident you’re right. You speak as if you really know what you’re talking about.

I’m a lot less confident that you’re right, but I think it’s pretty cool that people are free to criticize an American president again. A few years ago anyone who dared to criticize our president was called either a racist or an Uncle Tom. Today, the very people who wouldn’t allow anyone to criticize our last president are the first ones to criticize the current one.

Lovely stuff.
Wow, Americans were allowed to criticize Obama before? You learn something new everyday, hahaha.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:17 am

loco4viento wrote:
Peert wrote:
Thanks for the compliments!
loco4viento wrote:
It is very cool people are free to criticize politicians in the US. Not nice to be called racist or uncle Tom.... is that a reference to this famous book in American literature?

About your last sentence... It is in my experience always hard to have a conversation with fanatics... no matter if they are right or left wing. Muslim, Jew, Christian or Hindu.

Return to “Kitesurfing”