Western Australia - Beginner/Intermediate

Forum for kitesurfers
jvzz
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Western Australia - Beginner/Intermediate

Postby jvzz » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:38 pm

Gosh I am happy. Trip booked for 4 weeks to WA beginning February. I am going with misses planning to have a campervan and just cruise up and down enjoying the place, and kiting.
I am an intermediate rider, jumps and rolls but no handle passes and all, getting too old for that.

I was wondering whether anyone could help me letting me know which spots are good, where are kiters welcome, and which beaches is better not to go. No need to bring a bad name so just better asking for tips. Small waves are fun, big waves are for the big boys, so any tips for small waves or flat water? Is there also a kiters associaton of some sort that I can write to ask for some tips?
Stupid question perhaps, any issues with jellyfish, sharks, or really aggressive crowds?

Thanks a lot for help, can't wait to go and want to do it properly.
Jvzz

Gerard-Oz
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Gerard-Oz » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:50 am

Your coming at a VERY GOOD time :thumb:

http://waksa.org.au.86.aspwebhosting.com.au/
This is a local kiteing site you will find all the popular spots, regulations etc.

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/
Australian wind lovers forum, once again do some searching through this and you can't go wrong.

You will have 20knot+ winds from the SW for 5-6 days a week. At that time of the year the further you go north the more wind you will get. I was up at Shark Bay in Feb last year and had a ball (very remote and very hot) you need to be set up well and have a good form of transport. It about 800km's from Perth.

Some places I would recommend

Perth (North beach's) - small waves (everything a city has to offer)
Lancelin - flat water & waves (good accommodation)
Geraldton - Flat water & waves (good accommodation)
Shark Bay - Flat water (this is desert county - small towns etc.)

You're in for a fun time. Ozies are laid people and most are friendly and will have chat and beer.

See you in 2008

Grant.

CharlestonKiter
Frequent Poster

Postby CharlestonKiter » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:16 am

i dont think id be getting in any body of water that starts with "shark" :o

cramit_the_frog
Rare Poster

Postby cramit_the_frog » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:36 am

if you like kitesurfing in waves and want no crowds, white sand.. clear water then down south east of perth in esperance, the beaches here are considered some of the best in australia http://travel.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=106384 let alone some of the best in the world.. the winds not too bad either not as nice as perth though - between 15 to 20 knots S.E. sea breezes most days of the week between december and feb, when its too hot in perth (over 40 and they dont get the wind) then its going off in esperance due to the heat thermal effect...

this site here has some info for kitesurfing in our locality.

http://www.esperance-kiters.com.au/?L=ogm.index

hope its usefull

enjoy your stay in w.a!

might see you down here :bye:

DrFab
Rare Poster

Postby DrFab » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:30 pm

I've been living one year in WA wonderful place.
Start with Scarborough, north of Perth if you want to meet some people and gather info for your travel.
If you like flat water can recommend you the bay of the swan river, Matilda bay and safety bay at Rockingham, 40km south of Perth.

Then it is up to you, a visit to Margaret river is definitely a must,

You gonna have fun mate. :bye:

hawks
Medium Poster

Postby hawks » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:38 pm

you made a good choice great place. if you visit http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/wa.asp there is live graphs and forums where u can talk to local riders just bee aware lots of gear pimping at tis side

try out some of the local beer it good

jvzz
Medium Poster

Postby jvzz » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:00 pm

Gents thanks a lot. I am going through the links as we speak. Great stage of a trip, the planning stage. I will pm some of you and hopefully get some wind together or a beer after a good session. Been checking some of the spots on google earth, amazing.

Jorge

hawks
Medium Poster

Postby hawks » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:51 pm

its nice to help someone that appreciate it. i lived in perth 4 5 years want to go back

Return to “Kitesurfing”