control bars

Forum for kitesurfers
gibsonandpickett
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

control bars

Postby gibsonandpickett » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:45 am

H i guys , im looking for a good control bar with loads of depower throw in it. What is a great control bar that is compatable with 09 Thrusters. Im sick of morph bar problems.

pdkite
Frequent Poster
Style: balls to the wall. don't hold back
Gear: 2006 Airush Lift 10m and 12m
2007 Liquid Force Recoil 130 x 39
Been thanked: 0

Re: control bars

Postby pdkite » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:18 am

the best redline bar is pretty sweet and fairly clean. should work with the thruster - might need some pigtails, but thats not really an issue.

it's a decent price too not like the $500 SS, Naish, North bars...

happy kiting

Rorke
Frequent Poster

Postby Rorke » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:16 pm

You may want to try a long throw bar with the Thruster first.

In my experience, it gets very unstable with too much. But you are right, it can handle more than the bar allows for.

I think the '08 Eclipse bars had a little more depower than the '09's. With everything going on, try to swap your crappy '09 for a less crappy '08.

Otherwise, post what you get and what works.

I think the trend of having the kite and the controls from the same company is going to end. Only pro's and Bro deal riders will be doing it, while everyone else will ride on one of the 3 or 4 best in the industry.

tripman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: North Sea, Channel, Brittany
Style: Surfkiting + HF + wing
Gear: Noremana 5'2 95L
Gong Hipe pro 5'1
BRM W2 4m, 5.5m
Foil Allure 1300 + 1000
KETOS 1200 + stab Karver S
Pocket KETOS 107
Board Riding Maui Cloud E 2.8, E 3.7, E 4.8, E 6.2, D 8, D 10.4
Stallion V1 TDZ 5'2''

Postby tripman » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:46 pm

I tend to share the idea of having my own control bar, and not the stock one, sold for a fortune with a kite, knowing that most kites are 4 lines (of equal length). I've been using the SS control bar for 2 years and can't bear the under the bar depower. Just impossible to use, so every time I need to, I stop either on the shore or in the open sea to trim it correctly... Definitely not safe.
I still own Best bars from 2005, with depower strap, not cleat. I find this more convenient and accurate to trim. And as I just has a look at these bars the other day, I found that I can set 2 attachments on the bar (like North and Takoon) to get different lengths. Everything else can be set, change, etc. And that's easy to set a system of leash going through the bar hole, being attached to 1 front. So this is what I'm about to do.
Using the same bar makes you more confortable to use the security features when needed, which has not even happened once a year for me after 10 years kiting. So each time I needed to activate, it was not "automatic", not a reflex.
So I would advise you gibsonandpickett to set your own bar if you have enough experience to best suit your expectations. If not, then look carefully at each feature that suits you (cleat/strap, grip, CL attachement, etc). And if it's just a matter of depower throw, you can most of the time change it and get what you want.

harviento
Medium Poster

Postby harviento » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:55 pm

The Ocean Rodeo bar has the longest throw of any I've ever seen. I've been using it with my Thrusters for the last two years, and it's been great. In overpowered conditions, the Thruster will still carry a fair amount of power just on the two front lines, so the throw on the OR bar goes beyond the depower capability of the kites. But it's nice to know you're getting maximum depower that I don't think you get with the Eclipse bar. The one drawback of the Ocean Rodeo bar is that it does not offer simple, quick access to flag the kite if necessary - which would be nice with a kite that stays powered up on two lines. There is a flag line, but it does not reach below the bar, so you can't attach your leash to it and still have a spinning bar. I usually ride with the leash attached to the depower line, which is fine 95% of the time, and then I plan ahead out in the water and pull everything in to reattach my leash to the flag line if I think I'm going to need it. Part of the tradeoff of not having the flag line extend below the bar is that you get a super clean bar, and more throw than any other.

Regardless, as others have mentioned, get whatever bar has the throw you want, the features you want, etc. Like the board, I look at a bar purchase as completely separate from a kite purchase. The new SS bar is nice in many ways, but you can't lengthen the depower throw on it, and it does not offer quite enough throw to get max depower out of a Thruster.

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:29 pm

I use a Naish bar with all my non-Naish kites.
Great bar.
SS and North look great too.

FL Kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Jetty, Ft. Pierce, FL USA
Favorite Beaches: South Jetty, Ft. Pierce, FL USA
Anne's Beach, Islamorada, FL USA
Style: Freeriding
Gear: |
Cabrinha: '09 16m XBOW / GK: '08 12m & 9m Trix / Eclipse: '08 14m Thruster
|
2009 Nobile XTR 143x48, T5 137x42 / 2007 Litewave 179

Postby FL Kiteboarder » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:11 pm

-
Same here.
I am using Naish bars with all my non-Naish kites.

I have some extra bars that I am selling -

new 2009 & 2010 Naish bars with leashes and free shipping

Marc

Ivel
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Style: mostly strapless surfboard
Gear: not panzy bow kites

Postby Ivel » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:31 pm

Don't bother with a stock bar/lines. Making your own is the only way to go. Buy everything piecemeal, most companies sell replacement chickenloops, depower straps. Or if you don't care about a QR or depower strap just get a piece of line and tie a loop on one end and several knots on the other end.

I would suggest finding an 06/07 North iron heart chicken loop. It's probably the best CL out there, solid stainless and a push release all built into itself. Then get a trim strap or cleat depending on your preference. A front line flagging system that goes through the bar is the best way to go for a safety.

Kites don't need lots of throw on the bar. Rely on edging to depower the kite, not pushing the bar out until you look like a monkey with arthritis. Too much throw on the bar results in an unresponsive trash bag

tunceskite415
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Island
Style: Freestyle
Gear: RRD Obsession 9m
Naish Cult 12m

Postby tunceskite415 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:22 pm

Deferred Success wrote:-
Same here.
I am using Naish bars with all my non-Naish kites.

I have some extra bars that I am selling -

new 2009 & 2010 Naish bars with leashes and free shipping

Marc

Me too. I use the Naish bar with my RRD Obsessions and it works great!

tungsten222

Postby tungsten222 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:38 pm

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed in urna et enim porttitor ullamcorper ac non ipsum. Proin eleifend orci quis ligula convallis et viverra metus porta. Fusce commodo eros ut sapien euismod venenatis. Proin suscipit auctor laoreet. Phasellus scelerisque viverra nisi eu malesuada. Etiam malesuada tellus non neque fermentum at molestie mi condimentum. Vestibulum gravida enim sit amet nisi mattis pulvinar. Suspendisse hendrerit ipsum id neque sodales ut tincidunt felis dignissim. Suspendisse potenti. Phasellus venenatis pharetra consectetur. Curabitur tempus lacinia dui. Nunc semper arcu id leo lacinia porta. Proin commodo adipiscing egestas. Suspendisse adipiscing enim turpis, sed.
Last edited by tungsten222 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”