Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Life of a Kite?

Forum for kitesurfers
Catch the breeze
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Catch the breeze » Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:41 pm

Can someone tell me what I can expect for the life expectancy of a 2002 model kite? I know it varies on how often it is flown, crashed, and what it may hit. In general, how long have your kites lasted? Also, other than the usual handling, proper clean up, & storeage while not flying, what tips do you have in extending the life of a kite other the "just don't drop it" line...I just thought I'd throw this question out there. It is a big buy.

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 04, 2002 1:40 pm

Damn...for a moment I thought it was gonna be a day/week in the life of a kite post...sort of like:

Sunday: Well, after a long weekend of kiting, my owner went off drinking and forgot to wash me off or dry me. Now stuck in this damn soggy feeling, and I'm gonna have a chronic rash tomorrow, and all so he could go off drinking. I hope his head feels #$%@*& terrible tomorrow.

Monday: Another boring soggy day. Still no sight of my owner. My colours are starting to bleed and I smell like a islanders crotch after a rain dance.

Tuesday: He lives!!! Finally my cleaning session. Left out in the warm sun to dry :smile:

Wednesday: SO much for caring. Still waiting outside in the cold and the damn dog from next door got through the fence and look a wizz on my bladder. Just wait, I'll make sure his bladder never #$@%^ing works again.

Thursday: Well, the owner is back. Seems the wind came back so now he's ready to care. Just wait. Burst my leading edge when the wind was a perfect 16knots, now he has to get a new one. Teach him to neglect me.

Friday: Hmmmm. Owner came back muttering about something called an X2. Maybe ist another board for me to make friends with :smile:

Saturday: Bastard. Expected to get a new board but instead the bastard has gone out and bought a new kite. Some idea about needing something better than a low aspect ratio...more like low self confidence after the way he treats me. Now I'm stuck with his younger brother who eats his burgers off my bag....its fine...my revenge will come...gonna wrap myself around him while he's on the water and really mess up those new strings of his...

Catch the breeze
Rare Poster

Postby Catch the breeze » Wed Sep 04, 2002 1:50 pm

: )

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:16 pm

It all depends on what brand you buy.
I have F-one kites and Takoon kites. Both fly very well. Takoon is much lighter than the F-one but the F-one kite will outlast the Takoons by far. So it depends also on what you want. Only performance or Performance with duration. My takoons are already fallen apart after two months. I go about four to five times a week kiting. My F-ones are about seven months old and were crashed the most they are still in perfect condition.
I wash my kites when I feel they are getting dirty. Maybe once every two weeks.

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Wed Sep 04, 2002 11:52 pm

I sail almost everyday and sell and help pepole repair alot of kites. I hate to say it but the life of your kite depends alot on the weight of material used, care taken and how hard you crash and inflate. I wash mine every day, try and keep them out of the sun. Don't let people grab them by the trailling edge and pull etc. Another end to your kites happiness is small holes. Patch anything that shows light.
I mostly use a 12m kite. I have had it since February. I use it almost every day alot and have had no damage to it. So i guess it mostly depends on how much you use it. I probably have 350-400 ( conservative) hours of kite flying time on it. For most people that could be 2 or 3 years use on one particular size of kite. It is showing fading from the sun but the matterial so far looks fine.
Good luck.
If it feels light or looks delicate it may well be.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Royce on 2002-09-05 00:58 ]</font>

Catch the breeze
Rare Poster

Postby Catch the breeze » Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:19 am

From whats been said about the X2, sounds like if you over inflate the bladder it could really do some damage when it crashes.
From your experience, does that apply to pretty much all kites? - not to inflate too much...Thanks for the info guys!
Have a blast!

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:20 pm

The X2 need to be inflated fairly hard to relaunch. The inflation causes it to be very rigid in its u shape so if it is flattened out or flips it looks for the weakest point. Last year several kites did that. This year I think most the manufacturers took care of it. I think Naish will solve the problem fast due to the number of these type of damages.
Good luck.

Return to “Kitesurfing”