Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hand drags getting yanked

Forum for kitesurfers
lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Hand drags getting yanked

Postby lovethepirk » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:36 am

Here's were I'm at on hand drags...2 months ago I was nailing them on a 14m in flat water in 18 knots going either way. Landed dozens of them. Felt like I had that trick in the bag so I tried them the last couple sessions on this cold front.

This time I'm perfectly powered up, but in some chop but nothing that should cause and issue in my book. I know being powered up more I should pull the trigger later on the loop on the drag, but no matter what I did I got fucking spanked like 10x trying these fuckers. On one 9m attempt in 24 knots, I must have been parallel to the water surface. One of the worst impacts on the water I've had.

Is it just a matter of waiting much longer on the bar pull for the loop or do I need to weaken my carve as I pull my lead leg up to initiate the drag and rotation. This sport is crazy, b/c each kite size and wind speed needs different timing decisions.

mkNY
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Tobay Beach, Oak Beach, Gilgo Beach
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne - Mauritius, Kite Beach - DR, Silver Sands - Barbados, Cape Hatteras - NC, Long Bay Beach - T&C
Style: Freeride\BigAir
Gear: 2020 Duotone Rebel 7/9/12
Shinn Bronq
Ride Engine
Woooooo

Re: Hand drags getting yanked

Postby mkNY » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:24 pm

2 things that have helped me in powered conditions with this trick.

1. I slightly depower my kite. Usually I ride fully powered, but having it slightly depowered for this trick made it loop faster and with a bit less pull.

2. I steer the kite further behind me before popping for the rotation and slow loop. The further the kite behind you the more at the edge of the window it will loop and the less power it will generate.

When it’s not so windy these matter less as the there is much more room for error.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:55 am

I like the slow loop trick on 9m, with plenty of speed you can drag for a while.
Like mkNY said I just drag for longer and pull loop late when kite is further to side of window.
I don't really pop hard for those kind of just bring leg up and go for drag.
But yes I agree a lot of tricks are easy in some wind and small change in conditions makes everything different

ced1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cannon Rocks
Favorite Beaches: Cannon Rocks, Flag Beach, Anse la Raie, Witsands, Dolphin beach
Style: Big air, wave riding
Gear: Airush, Underwave

Postby ced1 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:39 am

Hi,

Try and loop later and a tighter loop, so that the kite doesn't travel too far in the window.
Some kites don't loop tight so to counter that is to depower the kite slightly. Smaller kites travel faster and create more apparent wind and therefore have a spike of power as they travel through the wind window...

Ced

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:49 am

I just want to iterate what the others were saying. The smaller kites gives you a bit more control in that you can wait longer and change the speed of the kite easier.
So slow loops, if it feels like you need more power just pull a bit harder.
The bigger kite is just way easier because of the lift ? But are harder to change the overall trajectory IMO. I like to do it on a bigger kite... it feels liked you can just go for forever... especially if you have a ton of speed going into it.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:07 am

Yes, you are looping too early and/or too hard.

If you loop it slowly like the 14 you will nail it.

The more wind/power the further you fly it behind the zenith and the later you loop it.

vannibombonato
Frequent Poster

Postby vannibombonato » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:56 pm

Thanks for the tip as I’m also learning slides and drags, but I need to sort out a truly basic fact as I’m not into loops..

I’m not yet clear on how the two major actions affect power and speed of the loop: 1) little steering vs fishpooling , and 2) how much you pull the bar (not talking about steering angles but about power/depower

As far as I’ve understood, but not yet tried, to have the less powerful loop you should do something counterintuitive: fishpool and fully power the bar, as it should loop super fast and tight, shouldn’t it? Easier said than done...

This summer I gladly nailed a rolled handrag but really didn’t realize how was my movement/loop, it was more luck really...as the next try was a monumental wipe out thanks to a large loop that ripped me off the board Superman style and called it a day... (it was butter smooth flat water but 30knkts+, good luck learning loops there).

Thanks for the tips!

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:14 am

vannibombonato wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:56 pm
Thanks for the tip as I’m also learning slides and drags, but I need to sort out a truly basic fact as I’m not into loops..

I’m not yet clear on how the two major actions affect power and speed of the loop: 1) little steering vs fishpooling , and 2) how much you pull the bar (not talking about steering angles but about power/depower

As far as I’ve understood, but not yet tried, to have the less powerful loop you should do something counterintuitive: fishpool and fully power the bar, as it should loop super fast and tight, shouldn’t it? Easier said than done...

This summer I gladly nailed a rolled handrag but really didn’t realize how was my movement/loop, it was more luck really...as the next try was a monumental wipe out thanks to a large loop that ripped me off the board Superman style and called it a day... (it was butter smooth flat water but 30knkts+, good luck learning loops there).

Thanks for the tips!
My first backroll had a loop by pure chance, only realized because lines weren't crossed. Like Toby said a very slow loop works well because kite will be all the way to side of window when it loops.
It's all a question of timing, can't really tell you which is which, for slides, backroll,hand drag and such you wanted do slow loop, basically you keep contant pressure on bar but don't fishpole it, at the end of the slide you can tugvarto tighten arc when you are ready to land.
Fishpoling can help reduce powerin basic loop because it kind of stalls it,kite rotate a bit more on itself.
Anyway just keep practicing just avoid learningin more than 22 knots...

Return to “Kitesurfing”