Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ozone vs Core

forum for kitesurfers


Matteo V
Frequent Poster
Posts: 487
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:42 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Re: Ozone vs Core

Postby Matteo V » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:03 am

If you listen to someone who's living is derived from "brand X's" sales (or they wish it was), you can easily recognize it. GraemeF is good example of someone who will tell you everyone else sucks, but my stuff is the best. If you take advice about gear on this forum, don't take it from someone who is affiliated with a particular brand and holds this attitude.

Honest reps of a particular brand will tell you about the shortcomings of a particular model that they sell. Extremely honest reps will even recommend another brand if they do not feel your needs are met by that brands offerings. But that would be like finding a unicorn. And this advice really only applies to someone who has already developed their style on different kites.

What the honest posters here are telling you is that going for one of the overpriced brands is not going to make you a better kiter.

My advice to is:

As you are just hitting your intermediate stages in kiting, maybe go for what the good AND friendly kiters at your local spots are using. This can make it easier for them to give you advice on how to execute tricks as they will have near identical gear. If that means paying a little more, and you can afford it, do it.

If there are lots of different makes and models of kites at your local beach, make a careful choice. Only dump lots of money into a premium brand if it helps you feel better about yourself. That is a pretty lame reason, but it can have a real psychological effect on you and possibly even improve your riding. If you feel good about having really expensive stuff, at least you are feeling good about something.

The biggest considerations for you should be:

1. Availability - GraemeF has previously stated that Core is not always available as their business model is to under-supply the market to keep prices up.
2. Suitability - If you are leaning toward wave, go with a kite with at least some wave capabilities, same for freestyle, or wakestyle.
3. Track Record/warranty - Have the previous years models had issues? or is the company known for giving riders the cold shoulder on warranty claims?

User avatar
downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1339
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:16 am
Kiting since: 1970
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: Ozone vs Core

Postby downunder » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:39 am

Mate,

there is no such question as "X vs Y"

There is only a question of "Can Demo vs Can't Demo". No doubt there are both great brands and kites, but you need to demo. Even a jump from one year release to another of the same model might not work for some.

D.

rogue_kiteboarder
Medium Poster
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:42 am
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Crazy Fly Addict, Naish Pivot, Crazyfly Sculp, North Evo, Mystic Majestic X

Re: Ozone vs Core

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:41 pm

Ozone Enduro, it is a sweet kite and you will not be disappointed.

Largorn
Rare Poster
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:05 pm
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: Cabrinha, Brunotti and Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ozone vs Core

Postby Largorn » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:19 pm

CaptainCore wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:46 pm
They ruined the Rally in 2014, which was why they had to come up with Turbines in smaller sizes, the Rally is a dog these days and everybody knows it hence they can't give them away.
Interesting, that's the first time I hear this. Of course there are different opinions about the Rally, but I have never met a person that likes the 2013 more than the 2014.
I think that 2011 and 2012 were awesome, 2013 was a big step back and since 2014 they are very good kites again. Which is also proven by the fact that they have only made minimal changes between 2014 and 2018.
But given your brand history, as lined out by iriejohn, it makes sense.

User avatar
alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 861
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 12:41 pm
Kiting since: 2007
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Any gear is good gear as long as it has nothing to do with EPIC!
Location: Montreal, Canada / NJ, USA

Re: Ozone vs Core

Postby alexeyga » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:57 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:03 am
If you listen to someone who's living is derived from "brand X's" sales (or they wish it was), you can easily recognize it. GraemeF is good example of someone who will tell you everyone else sucks, but my stuff is the best. If you take advice about gear on this forum, don't take it from someone who is affiliated with a particular brand and holds this attitude.

Honest reps of a particular brand will tell you about the shortcomings of a particular model that they sell. Extremely honest reps will even recommend another brand if they do not feel your needs are met by that brands offerings. But that would be like finding a unicorn. And this advice really only applies to someone who has already developed their style on different kites.

What the honest posters here are telling you is that going for one of the overpriced brands is not going to make you a better kiter.

My advice to is:

As you are just hitting your intermediate stages in kiting, maybe go for what the good AND friendly kiters at your local spots are using. This can make it easier for them to give you advice on how to execute tricks as they will have near identical gear. If that means paying a little more, and you can afford it, do it.

If there are lots of different makes and models of kites at your local beach, make a careful choice. Only dump lots of money into a premium brand if it helps you feel better about yourself. That is a pretty lame reason, but it can have a real psychological effect on you and possibly even improve your riding. If you feel good about having really expensive stuff, at least you are feeling good about something.

The biggest considerations for you should be:

1. Availability - GraemeF has previously stated that Core is not always available as their business model is to under-supply the market to keep prices up.
2. Suitability - If you are leaning toward wave, go with a kite with at least some wave capabilities, same for freestyle, or wakestyle.
3. Track Record/warranty - Have the previous years models had issues? or is the company known for giving riders the cold shoulder on warranty claims?
The sanest post around here I've seen in a long while! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
stenner wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:23 am
I'm new to the sport, I can ride up wind and transition, self launch/land. Not sure where that puts me. My experience so far has been on a SS Rally. I want to buy a new kite. I have heard great things about Ozone kites and like that they have their own factory. The Catalyst seems nice but is it too much of a beginner's kite? I aspire to be a solid all around kiter with no desire to unhook. I use a twin- tip. The Enduro seems great too but is it too advanced or difficult to water relaunch?
The other kite I'm considering is the Core XR5. By all accounts an excellent kite too. I know it's known for boosting but right now it's range is what appeals most.
Which kite would be best for my progression?
If you're planning to buy something new locally, brand's name doesn't matter as much in the long run as your relation with your dealer and the quality of service provided by that dealer.

Also, at your stage there is no such thing as a beginner's kite which is too much of a beginner's kite. Unless you're fortunate enough to be able to ride 5 days/week and you're gifted enough to progress and recover like there's no tomorrow - it will take you a really-really-really long while to outgrow even the most beginner's kite out there. Last generations of Catalysts were really nice and user-friendly, so are the Enduros. Can't go wrong with the XR5 either.

User avatar
CaptainCore
Rare Poster
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:32 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Seabrook Kent
Favorite Beaches: Nyali - Kenya
Style: Old School
Gear: Core GTS4 & XR5
Brand Affiliation: Gods own Core.
Contact:

Re: Ozone vs Core

Postby CaptainCore » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:29 pm

It's a peculiar logic that distrusts the word of a person who's very living is derived upon his reputation for veracity. Over the years, and it is no different now to the way it was back in the windsurfing days of yesteryear, that begat this sport, if you lied, or overstated your wares, you didn't survive very long. Now, it's been my privilege to sell one watersports brand or another for nearly 40 years. Generally the brands I have assisted in marketing, and illuminating the minds of the neophyte, or the experienced even, have by and large lived up to my descriptions of them, if they didn't my reputation would by now have been in tatters. True I tend only to market premium products, but then there is a very clear reason for that. Most of us have a relatively short time open to us between working hours, so in order that, that moment is as trouble free as possible, the better products (which unfortunately do tend to cost that little more)tend to offer a better return than saving a few bob for a precious happorth of tar.

And so it is i can with a degree of confidence offer buying advice and will always do so. If the stuff were crap, I wouldn't sell it, it's that simple as I'm sure is the case with many other professional sales people.

Indeed the very people who's advice one should distrust, are those with the simple agenda of envy, or those of a parsimonious nature that would always buy as cheaply as possible and attempt to justify their decision with nothing other than acrimony.

It is a sad fact my friends, buyers or sellers alike, we tend to get what we pay for.

And people engaged in the supply side of the industry seriously should be afforded a tad more respect given they're very lives rely on your continued custom and thus would be the very last people to steer you in the wrong direction.

And so, I can honestly say with no fear of contradiction in reality, that an XR5 is in this particular instance exactly what our friend is looking for.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2157
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:43 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Habo Ljung, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards 5-0
TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 135
Moses Fluente 548/550/590/330/325
North Mono 7, 9, 12
Core XR3 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sweden

Re: Ozone vs Core

Postby TomW » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:54 pm

Hej,
I've had a 8 and 10 Rally, new stock from 2012 I bought in 2015. Also have Core xr2 lw 17m and xr3 12. I've been kiting since 2002, and tried a bunch of kites.
I found the Core kites to be much more refined in their flying behaviour, better low end, better control at high end ( big difference) and better control of power at bar. I found those rallies to be too sensitive to bar sheeting, having too much on/off over just 100mm of sheeting.

It's a bit personal, but I preferred the Core XR.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: West Sussex
Gear: this 'n that
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: South coast, UK

Re: Ozone vs Core

Postby iriejohn » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:41 am

CaptainCore wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:29 pm
It's a peculiar logic that distrusts the word of a person who's very living is derived upon his reputation for veracity. Over the years, and it is no different now to the way it was back in the windsurfing days of yesteryear, that begat this sport, if you lied, or overstated your wares, you didn't survive very long. Now, it's been my privilege to sell one watersports brand or another for nearly 40 years. Generally the brands I have assisted in marketing, and illuminating the minds of the neophyte, or the experienced even, have by and large lived up to my descriptions of them, if they didn't my reputation would by now have been in tatters. True I tend only to market premium products, but then there is a very clear reason for that. Most of us have a relatively short time open to us between working hours, so in order that, that moment is as trouble free as possible, the better products (which unfortunately do tend to cost that little more)tend to offer a better return than saving a few bob for a precious happorth of tar.

And so it is i can with a degree of confidence offer buying advice and will always do so. If the stuff were crap, I wouldn't sell it, it's that simple as I'm sure is the case with many other professional sales people.

Indeed the very people who's advice one should distrust, are those with the simple agenda of envy, or those of a parsimonious nature that would always buy as cheaply as possible and attempt to justify their decision with nothing other than acrimony.

It is a sad fact my friends, buyers or sellers alike, we tend to get what we pay for.

And people engaged in the supply side of the industry seriously should be afforded a tad more respect given they're very lives rely on your continued custom and thus would be the very last people to steer you in the wrong direction.
Just like Kaa the snake in the film of The Jungle Book. :lol:
CaptainCore wrote:And so, I can honestly say with no fear of contradiction in reality, that an XR5 is in this particular instance exactly what our friend is looking for.
Unless you are psychic an XR5 can not be "exactly what our friend is looking for" because the OP has said virtually nothing about what he wants from a kite to replace his Rally other than that he has a twintip and that he wants to progress!

Matteo V
Frequent Poster
Posts: 487
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:42 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Re: Ozone vs Core

Postby Matteo V » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:55 am

CaptainCore wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:29 pm
It's a peculiar logic that distrusts the word of a person who's very living is derived upon his reputation for veracity. Over the years, and it is no different now to the way it was back in the windsurfing days of yesteryear, that begat this sport, if you lied, or overstated your wares, you didn't survive very long. Now, it's been my privilege to sell one watersports brand or another for nearly 40 years. Generally the brands I have assisted in marketing, and illuminating the minds of the neophyte, or the experienced even, have by and large lived up to my descriptions of them, if they didn't my reputation would by now have been in tatters. True I tend only to market premium products, but then there is a very clear reason for that. Most of us have a relatively short time open to us between working hours, so in order that, that moment is as trouble free as possible, the better products (which unfortunately do tend to cost that little more)tend to offer a better return than saving a few bob for a precious happorth of tar.

And so it is i can with a degree of confidence offer buying advice and will always do so. If the stuff were crap, I wouldn't sell it, it's that simple as I'm sure is the case with many other professional sales people.

Indeed the very people who's advice one should distrust, are those with the simple agenda of envy, or those of a parsimonious nature that would always buy as cheaply as possible and attempt to justify their decision with nothing other than acrimony.

It is a sad fact my friends, buyers or sellers alike, we tend to get what we pay for.

And people engaged in the supply side of the industry seriously should be afforded a tad more respect given they're very lives rely on your continued custom and thus would be the very last people to steer you in the wrong direction.

And so, I can honestly say with no fear of contradiction in reality, that an XR5 is in this particular instance exactly what our friend is looking for.

Wow! GraemeF, this is rich. I appreciate your enthusiasm. I also love your defense of your "reputation". I thought that was a dead horse. Apparently I am either mistaken or unable to comprehend that anyone would still be beating that pile of dust.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:12 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; OBX; SPI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 7m/11m, Slingshot Turbine 9m/15m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m, Best Kahoona 11.5m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Spleene Door 59, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, MHL Lift 2013, Moses/Slingshot Ghost Whisper 42"/71cm masts 590/545/328/633/483 wings, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 42", Slingshot Coupe 6', Ocean Rodeo Mako 135, MBS Comp 95x
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ozone vs Core

Postby grigorib » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:16 am

stenner wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:23 am
I'm new to the sport, I can ride up wind and transition, self launch/land. Not sure where that puts me. My experience so far has been on a SS Rally. I want to buy a new kite. I have heard great things about Ozone kites and like that they have their own factory. The Catalyst seems nice but is it too much of a beginner's kite? I aspire to be a solid all around kiter with no desire to unhook. I use a twin- tip. The Enduro seems great too but is it too advanced or difficult to water relaunch?
The other kite I'm considering is the Core XR5. By all accounts an excellent kite too. I know it's known for boosting but right now it's range is what appeals most.
Which kite would be best for my progression?
Keep riding your Rallys. Learn toeside, downloops, bankrolls, frontrolls, jump over 40', learn and progress in foiling.
All of that on your Rallys. Price of XRs is certainly high but I've never seen other kite strut explode mid-air. XRs don't relaunch as well as your Rally and Catalyst is kind of dull and underpowered per size.

Demo both and you'd love simplicity and power of your Rallys. And if you wait till July you can buy two new ones for price of one XR. If you have extra cash to spend - do a kite trip or buy a foil, you've got the best kite already
Last edited by grigorib on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], jjm, trickcoach and 22 guests

cron