Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Moses 2018

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Moses 2018

Postby Foil » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:55 am

Today was just too light again for my 15 MTR tube kite at flag beach, wind was around 7 knts, all the top foilers were out on foil kites of 19-21mtr.
and it came to my notice that one of the guys I had been watching out there and thinking wow he is good, is none other than Florian Gruber, the German one time world champion, who is ranked number 4 in the world right now.
With the winds being so light I was just a spectator but enjoyed the day watching and learning, all the guys at times did drop thier kites as the conditions were so light.
At times, some had to spend a long time in the water wrestling with thier kites to get them back off the water, but to my amazement they all did, even one guy who had to swim to both ends of his 19mtr to untangle a totally screwed up kite end mess, it took him ages to sort it but he kept at it and after 20.minutes of hard work he did get it back in the air, good to see Gunner out there on his race gear and facing off his Ozone race kite against the new Flysurfer race kites, the speeds did look mighty impressive from both brands.
Winds are more favourable from now on with stiff winds forecast for the next 7days, so my new 9mtr Ozone Hyper Link should get a good tryout. No dought Gunner will be out on his 19mtr, breaking speed records whilst I wobble around.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:30 am

pstkk wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:48 pm
gmb13 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:24 pm
The problem is, that it looks likle Moses will not be allowed to register it for Formula Kite events.

--
Gunnar
If possible, could you please elaborate on this if you know more?

I thought the release was just too late for the registration last year, and that it would be included for this season.
This is what Gunnar posted of FB:
Important to note is that the "Formula Kite Limited One Design" HydroFoil and Kite models will be chosen from the registered equipment after May 1st. This equipment is the only equipment that can be used in Formula Kite events at the 2018 Central American & Caribbean Games, the 2019 PanAmerican Games, and the 2020 Olympic Games (subject to final confirmation) and their qualification events.

Any other equipment, including newly registered equipment for the 2018/2019 and 2019/2020 cycle, remains eligible for any other Formula Kite events that are not listed above. After the 2020 Olympic Games new "Formula Kite Limited One Design" equipment will be selected.
Confusion comes from the "Formula Kite Limited One Design" (Olympic format?) and the normal annual registered "Formula Kite". Moses should be able to register their 2018 foils for the latter unless I missed someting.

Registration is (I think) to differentiate between production and prototype kites and foils, weird that Mikes Lab is considered production with his limited number of foils produced per year.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:21 am

I received the 590 wing. It is not that much larger. Perhaps 20-40 cm2 if I take a guess. Be good if Moses gave us this information.

The wing is swept back more has anhedral and no anhedral at the tips.

The profile is still pretty slim with the thickest part of profile pretty far back and the trailing bottom surface not concave.

Won't get out on it till 2nd week in February in cabarete.
DSC_0812.JPG
DSC_0813.JPG
DSC_0817.JPG
The finish is not as good as the wings I have. It's cosmetic, and no big deal, but wonder if they have some teething problems.
I'm sure I doesn't impact performance because my 550 wing is in worse shape ( repaired) but works without any noticable difference.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
Kraken fuse 703k

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,

Postby Foil » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:27 pm

TomW wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:21 am
I received the 590 wing.
The finish is not as good as the wings I have. It's cosmetic, and no big deal, but wonder if they have some teething problems.
I'm sure I doesn't impact performance because my 550 wing is in worse shape ( repaired) but works without any noticable difference.
It was very interesting speaking to the flysurfer guys at flag beach last week, one of them was fine tuning the wing.stabilizer and foil for Florian Grubber to use for the day, he spent ages with wet and dry paper and water bottle and very carefully began matting down the surfaces on his Levitaz carbon race surfaces, he explained he was carefully removing any traces of contamination on the surfaces as this contamination ( spots of oil smears minor imperfections or anything that would adversely affect the water flow over the surfaces,he demonstrated by slowly pouring bottled water over the surfaces and watching the size of the water beads running off the surfaces, he said in colder climates the size of the water beads are different so must be factored in, any contamination would show up as a difference in water bead size on the surface, he nearly had a hearty attack when another guy touched the foil with his hand, he explained that natural skin oils or at worse sun tan oil would be unthinkable and make a noticeable difference at the high speeds these guys get to, he finished off by running fine paper along the trailing edges at around 30deg very lightly with great care, this was to minimise any hum from the trailing edges, he did this along all trailing edges not just the foil,.
Watch how these guys carry thier gear to the water, holding the board with one hand and gripping the fuselage with the other, never the foil or wing surfaces.

They avoided placing thier gear on its side with the wings touching the sand.

All interesting stuff, but I don't expect anyone will find me going into such detail on my gear, a small hand brush to remove sand and seaweed is my idea of fine tuning.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:40 pm

I'm not doing 50 knots...

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kraken fuse 703k

Postby Foil » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:08 pm

TomW wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:40 pm
I'm not doing 50 knots...
Interestingly I have found a new kite beach on Fuerterventura, super smooth flat water conditions, massive deep water bay, strong wind location not far from Sotavento beach.
This new set up was established last year.
With the off shore winds they are using 6 jet ski's, 2 man types for rescue, they charge 50 euro which gives you up to 3 rescues then you need to pay again.
When there next month I aim to wear my GPS watch and test out the speeds of my different wings and foils, even test out the speed of my Twin Tip on the same days and my tube kite against my foil kite.
The beach is at Costa Calma, Google earth does not show the new set up as yet, a new road system has just been opened which gives access to the beach and the new site has been built on the remains of some other old facility which you can still see on Google earth.

evan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby evan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:16 pm

Well, making your foil noise-free with a clean surface so you won't ventilate at higher speeds makes your foil-exprerience a lot more enjoyable. Even when you are not racing. But if you never exceed speeds over 25kn you are not going to notice these imperfections that much, if at all. Unless your foil is noisy a hell off course ;)

Did the same to my new 2018 Comet as Florian's foil, although I am not that much worried about fingerprints for normal riding/training. Just rinse it once in a while with dish-soap en repaint/fill scratches.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:38 pm

Have not reached 25 knots (46km/HR) yet. I'm usually up to 38 km hr, cruising at 30-35km/HR.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:46 pm

TomW wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:21 am
Snip...

Won't get out on it till 2nd week in February in cabarete.

Curious Tom, why ? Busy at work, or maybe the weather is colder at your place, lots of snow and ice, as I reckon you sometimes got a lot colder weather in Sweden, eventhough I would have imagined the pressure systems and weather to be something like here in Denmark ?

We are lucky here on the other side of "Kattegat", not much snow, and air and water is 2-3 degree celcius (36-37 F) which is still fine, so we were 7 out today here, hydrofoiling :naughty:

When getting below zero, or ice in the water, it is still possible but not as comfy, so we usually wait for warmer conditions then :roll:

Maybe you are "preparing" for the journey - I remember not riding the weeks up to a trip to warmer conditions...
On the other hand, you can REALLY appreciate it a lot more when you take to a warm spot, coming from the cold water, and then take some "time off" the water when you return, for some weeks at least - that is how many of us do it here.

8) PF

evan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby evan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:45 pm

TomW wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:38 pm
Have not reached 25 knots (46km/HR) yet. I'm usually up to 38 km hr, cruising at 30-35km/HR.
What a difference between racers and freeriders! We do 20-23kn upwind with spikes up to 27kn (50km/h).

But instead of more top-speed you can also look at a race finish from another perspective: less drag = less power needed = more low-end.
At least, that is the theory :lol:

2deg C.... Did it today to test my new foil, but not something I plan to do every session. Although my wetsuit is warm enough, it drains too much energy. Looking forward to next week with 10-13deg C and nice foiling winds instead of 66-77kn storms.

Return to “Hydrofoil”