Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Gath Helmets

Forum for kitesurfers
JMF
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby JMF » Tue Sep 03, 2002 10:56 pm

Has anyone tried a Real leash? that seems to help me.....only down side it that its abit bulky :sad:

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby murdoc » Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:59 pm

you'll get it from NSI
or flysurfer.

i heard lots of people who are satisfied with this product, but also los, who told that their
leashes burst while performing nice wipeouts.

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:05 am

Jpont2000, I think you are mistaken about the coil leash (I'm assumming you mean a leash coiled like a telephone cord here). The coil is only to keep the leash tidy and not to get in the way.
In any real wipout the coil will stretch and the then the leash material will stretch a little. If the leash didn't stretch then the force would pull the plug out of your board (this has happened to people who have used rope leashes). The dangerous acceleration of the kiteboard is caused by the elasticity of the leash and not from the coil.

So in conclusion the coil leash is as dangerous as a standard leash, except,
1. It can be longer and thus let the board further away from you.
2. It is tidier and doesn't drag in the water/ get under your board so much.

Stu

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:39 am

Use of any board leash puts the rider at risk of injury. If you checkout the KSI you will see some cases where serious injury resulted from the use of even a reel leash. One in fact involved a serious injury through a helmet.

I carry a reel leash all the time these days. I only use it if I have to on a temporary basis for going out through a heavy shore break or if I have to deal with my kite for an extended period on the water. I would not recommend full time use of any leash based upon the many serious accidents that I have heard about.

Of course if you don't use a leash, you should expect to potentially loose your board someday. Then again, maybe not. I look at it in terms of what my insurance deductable is related to what a new board costs. Throw in some pain and recooperation, it is really no contest. I use the same excuse to have smaller kites in my quiver to avoid going out in high wind rigged too big, these days.

Rick Iossi

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:42 am

Thanks Stu,

I was convinced that the coil didn't have anything to do with the speed at which the board would spring back to you.

José

JMF
Frequent Poster

Postby JMF » Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:25 am

Here's a pic of that pro-tec Wakeboarding helmet...to me it looks like it has alot more impact absorbsion than the Gath...and to be honest you dont look as naff :grin:

Product Specs. (Certified to EN 1385 CE)

Developed in conjunction with Darin Shapiro, this helmet is constructed of a rugged, high-density ABS shell lined with water-resistant, closed-cell foam for multiple impact protection. Detachable soft-fit ear guards with water channel guides. Full surround fit with removeable fit pads and fully adjustable retention for maximum comfort. (Shapiro Pro Model)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wipirider on 2002-09-04 11:27 ]</font>

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:54 am

Where's the pic?

JMF
Frequent Poster

Postby JMF » Wed Sep 04, 2002 3:19 pm

LOL dont you see it ? its below the writing ...I can see it...try turning your monitor on :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wipirider on 2002-09-04 16:28 ]</font>

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed Sep 04, 2002 4:22 pm

I have been using the Protec Ace Wake helmet for about a year now. It does have a lot of padding to be sure. More than any other, lower bulk, light weight helmet that I have been able to find to date on the market.

Helmets work by:

1. Protecting your head from piercing or abrasion, say by a kiteboard. This is a function of the material and manner of contraction of the shell of the helmet.

2. They slow down the speed of impact by small fractions of a second. By reducing the rate of deceleration, the brain is ideally spared from elevated impact and torsion that can result in serious injury and even death. This slowing, in a properly fitted and secured helmet seems to be largely a function of the thickness. relative density and compressibility characteristics of the padding.

Given the high speed impacts against hard objects possible in kiteboarding the impact absorption characteristics dictated by the padding are very important.

I have been looking around to checkout good useable kayak helmets for kiteboarding but haven't been real successful yet. To date I have not found a polystyrene (Styrofoam) padded helmet that has sufficiently low bulk and weight to be suitable for kiteboarding. So bicycle helmets although they have superior impact protection because of the crushing and excellent impact absorption qualities of polystyrene are unsuitable because of bulk/drag and weight for kiteboarding.

Having a good, comfortable, snug fit is vital to proper helmet performance. If the helmet moves excessively, this may contribute to injury on impact. Also it is critical that the helmet stay properly secured to the rider throughout the impact. It should also easily vent water and not retain it. The added weight of water can contribute to "bucketing" that can cause neck injury. Things like head visors such appear on some bicycle and motorcycle helmets also add significant drag on impact with the water and are unsuitable for kiteboarding.

I have had pretty good success with the Ace Wake. Unfortunately, the fastenings are not stainless steel. As a consequence I have had to drill out and replace the rivets securing the chinstrap. It is easy to do and you end up with a very serviceable helmet. I recommend that all riders do this sooner, than later if corrosion becomes evident.

Something that riders may want to do is the smack test. It isn't very scientific but it does give you an idea about a helmet if you are comparision shopping and are at a loss on your final decision. Put on and secure a properly fitting helmet that you are thinking of buying. Then pop yourself in the side of the head with your open palm. Try to judge which helmet reduces the impact more effectively. You can use this technique to compare helmets on a qualitative basis. If you are worried about uneven smacking, having your friend do it!

Rick Iossi

JMF
Frequent Poster

Postby JMF » Wed Sep 04, 2002 4:39 pm

See even the Pros use them :smile: Thanks for the added motivation Ricki I come from a wakeboard background (back in Nam) :grin: but in them days using a helmet looked naff :grin:..but with the tricks guys are pulling now days I can see it being very helpfull. I have used a Gath before but caught a rogue wave in Cape town last December (lets just say it did'nt catch me I went looking for it) and was'nt setup up to take it propper and ended up being chewed up...it also took my expensive Gath as a memento :sad: The Pro-tec Ace looks like it has better retention than the Gath. I'm sold and I think I'm going to order one for myself I think the Pro model is alos alot cheaper than the Gath range which is a bonus

Return to “Kitesurfing”