Cabrinha Secret weapon
Cabrinha Spade
Epic Droid
F-ONE Trax HRD
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Help me understand Cape Town wind on the basis of this Windguru forecast

Postby BernieTomic1 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:03 pm

My understanding is that you can add 5-10 knots to the forecast, but does this only apply to south and south easterly winds?

Looking at the forecast right now, friday has a southern wind forecasted to 17/23 knots, so it could go up to maybe 30 knots?

Saturday has a WSW wind of 10 knots. Could that also be bigger, or does that only apply in southern wind?
Sunday has a projected wind of 8-14 knots in WNW direction. Would that be the expected wind strength?

Would you say that tuesday, wednesday, thursday next week are non kiteable days, or are those 10 knots rather going to be a lot more due to the southern direction?

In regard to this forecast, what day would you in general say might be worth driving to a place like Botrivier or Breitvlei, where there might be wind when there is none in Table View?

Please don't get me wrong - I do not have to kite everyday, but it would be great to learn from your experiences and have a better understanding of the forecast.

I was advised to not bring a lightwind kite, but if there are several days of 10-14 knots, I might actually need it?

https://www.windguru.cz/208276
forecast.JPG

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Re: Help me understand Cape Town wind on the basis of this Windguru forecast

Postby piccio » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:04 pm

you can take with you any size and you can drive everywhere but you must have absolutely with you 5 and 6 meter .

my brother 98 kg going for first time, last week was overpowered with a 7 religion . he did not trust me to buy 6 meter .now is visiting around and will be overpowered again at next south east.
spend money ,do not think too much.
windy ........lucky .....fun
no wind ...no fun
botrivier ? flat inside ! bait outside!

mopman365
Frequent Poster
Gear: F-One Bandits, Directional
Has thanked: 0

Postby mopman365 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:57 pm

I don't use windguru, but windfinder for table view you can add at least 5 knots onto the normal forecast when S to SE. And 10knots at sunset. SW and NW is generally accurate, and sometimes even less than predicted. Thursday and Friday Tview, Saturday is light everywhere. Strand might work it the temp drops and over 10knots S predicted. Sunday maybe try Melkbos in NW. Monday tableview again. I would not bother with Botriviervlei - low and muddy entry and needs decent SW. Brandvlei is brown, gusty and choppy.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:08 pm

FYI.
I'm in CT on 15,16 Feb and hope to go kiting at Blouberg between 5pm and 9pm.
I packed my 6 and 11 on the weekend but will probably replace the 6 with my 17 and head up to Langebaan on Saturday.
I'll decide tomorrow evening..

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:17 am

Sadly it looks like folks who are visiting late in the season are not having as much fun. sEaster will be a little stronger than forecast as you note, and SW and NW will be about right, as someone else noted. But a forecast 10knot SEaster will seldom build to much in my experience, although that far out the forecast can change.

BernieTomic1
Frequent Poster
Gear: XR 5
Neo
Cabrinha Secret weapon
Cabrinha Spade
Epic Droid
F-ONE Trax HRD

Postby BernieTomic1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:00 pm

piccio wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:04 pm
botrivier ? flat inside ! bait outside!
Do the sharks go inside too?
mopman365 wrote: I don't use windguru, but windfinder for table view you can add at least 5 knots onto the normal forecast when S to SE. And 10knots at sunset. SW and NW is generally accurate, and sometimes even less than predicted. Thursday and Friday Tview, Saturday is light everywhere. Strand might work it the temp drops and over 10knots S predicted. Sunday maybe try Melkbos in NW. Monday tableview again. I would not bother with Botriviervlei - low and muddy entry and needs decent SW. Brandvlei is brown, gusty and choppy.
Saturday does not really look kiteable without a foil, does it?
On Sunday, those 12 knots could work in Melkbos? I have been advised to not bring a 15 m, but I guess that is what would be required with this forecast?

Strand sounds sharky? I was thinking to only kite in sharkfree lagoons on the other side of the Cape. :-)
rynhardt wrote: FYI.
I'm in CT on 15,16 Feb and hope to go kiting at Blouberg between 5pm and 9pm.
I packed my 6 and 11 on the weekend but will probably replace the 6 with my 17 and head up to Langebaan on Saturday.
I'll decide tomorrow evening..
Hi Rynhardt. I have a redeye flight to CT arriving midday friday, and I am hoping to go out friday evening. First time in CT, and I would probably go out in Sunset beach, where I am staying. Looks like it is going to nuke friday, but then be very light saturday and sunday. Is might not be worth it trying to kite those days. I am a little unsure of whether to pack a 15 m or not.

What lakes or lagoons in the area would you guys in general recommend when there is no wind in Table view? I looked at a video from Botrivier, and while the water didn't look nice, the creator described it as an epic session. Apparently he first tries the Palmiet lagoon in Kleinmond, which is supposed to be a great spot (?), but is dried out right now.
Would you guys say Breitvlei is not worth it, and I should rather do something else than go kite there?

Thanks again for all your help, it is very appreciated.

Lanc
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Paje, Zanzibar
Green Island, Antigua
Low Bay, Barbuda
Style: Wave and Old School
Gear: Switchblade/Nomad/Drifter/Pivot/Rebel/Nitro
Underground FLX 132
F-One Mitu Monteiro Pro

Postby Lanc » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:29 am

I would pack the 15m if you want to kite everyday. Head down to cape point direction for saturday/sunday.

There are sharks everywhere but they don't really bother us. There was a fairly big one hanging around Blouberg the past weekend, it scared quite a few of the visitors out the water.

Just watch the Travis Pastrana shark bait video shot in Durban, it will put your mind at ease about the sharks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAHzSTkvMNM

mopman365
Frequent Poster
Gear: F-One Bandits, Directional

Postby mopman365 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:58 am

BernieTomic1 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:00 pm
mopman365 wrote: I don't use windguru, but windfinder for table view you can add at least 5 knots onto the normal forecast when S to SE. And 10knots at sunset. SW and NW is generally accurate, and sometimes even less than predicted. Thursday and Friday Tview, Saturday is light everywhere. Strand might work it the temp drops and over 10knots S predicted. Sunday maybe try Melkbos in NW. Monday tableview again. I would not bother with Botriviervlei - low and muddy entry and needs decent SW. Brandvlei is brown, gusty and choppy.
Saturday does not really look kiteable without a foil, does it?
On Sunday, those 12 knots could work in Melkbos? I have been advised to not bring a 15 m, but I guess that is what would be required with this forecast?

Strand sounds sharky? I was thinking to only kite in sharkfree lagoons on the other side of the Cape. :-)

What lakes or lagoons in the area would you guys in general recommend when there is no wind in Table view? I looked at a video from Botrivier, and while the water didn't look nice, the creator described it as an epic session. Apparently he first tries the Palmiet lagoon in Kleinmond, which is supposed to be a great spot (?), but is dried out right now.
Would you guys say Breitvlei is not worth it, and I should rather do something else than go kite there?

Thanks again for all your help, it is very appreciated.
Friday's 25+ in Table View with decent swell. Bring your A-game, go straight to Dolphin beach parking (safer) and jump yourself silly all the way to Doodles. Catch the Downwind shuttle back (incl. beer). Repeat a few times.
Friday.JPG
Friday.JPG (18.6 KiB) Viewed 2503 times
Saturday is light almost everywhere, so you can do the tourist things around (or up) the mountain, rent a SUP/surfboard at Big Bay (nice 3m 12sec swell predicted with no wind). BUT, if you are desperate to kite some more, consider taking a drive to Struisbaai. If Windfinder says 20+ and East (Windfinder avg must be over 20 and not South-East), then it's ON. 3hr drive though but it's one of my favourite spots. If your stay at the nice backpackers in Struis, say hi to Erin and Stefne and tell them Andre gets a discounted stay next time. And ask for directions to Brandfontein. That's back along the coast and will work on Sunday's strong W. Alternative is Witsand (Infanta) further up the coast on Saturday (smooth lagoon and waves outside)...
SatSun.JPG
Monday, Langebaan or Table View looks good. Tuesday and Wednesday Table View or further south towards Cape Point if Table View is too light... And by next weekend, if the predictions hold, you'll be hanging onto a 5m in Table View again.

Lagoons: Langebaan is most popular for good reason. Works in SE-SW and also NW. Main beach gets stronger than Shark Bay (further up the lagoon, warmer water). Botrivier, like I said, only really good in decent S-SW and the muddy entry is a bit kak at the moment. Witsand (Infanta) is great in a decent SE, bit of trip though. Brandvlei, meh, done a few times, not worth it in my opinion. Hermanus lagoon (near Botriviervlei/Meer-en-See/Fisherhaven/Arabella/mudpool) can be fun in decent S-SE.

Sharks: What sharks? ;)

Hpr
Medium Poster
Local Beach: West Coast Cape Town
Gear: 5th gear

Postby Hpr » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:28 am

I think it’s all been said but I must add that this Feb so far the wind has been odd and I think generally less than normal, with a few days where the SE starts late and goes up to about 15 knots but doesn’t really come through properly. We normally have these types of conditions very early or late in the season but not in Feb. So normally I would say don’t bring a big kite in Feb but this year guys with big kites used them a few times already.
On the other hand, if it’s light Southerly in Tableview you might find good 8m conditions in the peninsula (Platboom, Witsands). So an option for Saturday.
Brandvlei works best in a NW and even when it’s light NW in Cape Town it can be nuking there, so a possible option for Sunday. Melkbos is probably the best local spot for NW but it still needs to be a fairly strong forecast for it to work (over 20 knots). For the current Sunday forecast Melkbos won’t work (maybe a foil will work though?). NW is our winter wind that brings rain so it doesn't blow strong very often in Feb. Normally :lol:
So if you’re willing to travel you should find wind somewhere most of the time.
Looking at next week I would not rely too much on the current forecast as it might change closer to the time, but it might be that the SE is back.

BernieTomic1
Frequent Poster
Gear: XR 5
Neo
Cabrinha Secret weapon
Cabrinha Spade
Epic Droid
F-ONE Trax HRD

Postby BernieTomic1 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:43 am

Awesome tips, thanks.

What was meant by Dolphin beach being safer?
I thought it would be easiest to just walk to the beach as I will stay in Sunset.

In regard to the shuttle, that sounds great. How do you pay?

I have found the Witsands close to Infanta, but not the one in the Cape. Where is it located?

Return to “Kitesurfing”