Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Learning with Zeeko Carver vs Green

Postby Kamikuza » Sat May 26, 2018 2:54 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 11:11 am
Kamikuza wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 10:08 am
Big wing is going to want to pop you right outa the water at much lower speed. If you're leaning back like a TT rider...HELLO SKY! HELLO WATER! hello pain...

The learning curve will be steeper and more full of beatings. IMO you should ride the smaller wing and use board speed to foil until you have adapted to the different balance needed...

But it IS a two edged sword !

Here, many of those who had gotten a racewing (relatively small) have found it almost impossible to ride - gotten a LF or a Cab or a Neil Pryde big fat wing, and learned very fast on this one no problems.
And then later re-learned on the racewing.
Others have learned directly on racewings, eventhough it has taken so much time you wont believe it, but it will come eventually (apart from turns, takes forever compared to on bigger wings).

But those learning fast on big wings have all come with sailing and directional "history" which makes it a lot easier to get the fine feel for things - whereas some particularly coming from TTs riding very powered havent build these skills at all yet, so might be better off with a more "racelike" (at least a smaller) wing for starters, till their motorics are more directional well behaved.

I can not see this being black and white - most here learn faster with a big wing, no doubt, but a few will get it easier with a smaller wing probably :naughty:

I see more full of beatings on those riding smaller wings, than those riding bigger wings - so just the opposite observation ?
Which could mean it is not that simple either or...

8) PF
When I said "smaller" I meant smaller than Carver, not race wing-sized.

LF or Cab wings aren't that big though -- IIRC 600cm2 vs the Carvers almost 800 and any SUP wing of course much bigger.

For sure not black and white. I think a big wing and a really short mast and a relatively large board might be a good option -- the breaches would have less potential for a start.

Kitetwin-1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle point
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Favorite Beaches: Cuba cayo Guillermo
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Sat May 26, 2018 3:10 am

I agree with Peter Franks comments, having learned on a D/A, progressed quickly but now am riding a zeeko green and white. The D/A gave me quick progression and confidence, now am riding a Zeeko green and white and although it isn’t as easy as the D/A my basics are firm and I am progressing nicely. Love the speed of the green and white combined with a Shinn Jackson 145, btw I am 138 lbs

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat May 26, 2018 10:20 am

The "classic" LF wing most have learned with, are 815 cm2.

I dont know about the Cab Double Agent, but it does not look to be that small really, anyone got an idea about the surface area ?

Anyways, there is a reason apparently, can even be seen in this thread, why there is no consensus which wing will be the better to learn on, as it is totally an individual thing and "how you ride", regarding which wing will be the better.

You can use any of the wings for learning, just pick one of them and GO !

As you are used to ride very powered and have no directional "feel", taking the smaller wing as you already have chosen now, will be fine :thumb:

8) Peter

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat May 26, 2018 5:11 pm

No straps. Might be infrequently your foot gets caught, but the Consequences can be serious injury to your foot, ankle, or lower leg. You want to limp the rest of your life after a 12 month rehab?

Get foothooks.

dksurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Nipissing, North Bay, ON, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Ontario Canada, PEI Canada
Hatteras, North Carolina
Cuba
Style: TT, SB and HF
Gear: 12, 9, 7 North Dice 2016
12 OR Flite 2016
12, 9 North Evo 2014
MHL Lift Foil
Been thanked: 0

Postby dksurfer » Sun May 27, 2018 2:18 am

If you can find a shorter mast your learning curve will be much faster. I learned with a long mast, but my friends that learned using a shorter mast did it faster and with a lot less painful crashes. 2 front straps work great, the straps are especially useful when water starting in low wind conditions.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun May 27, 2018 8:24 am

So, the Carver is only 710cm2. In that case, go for it. I thought it was bigger! Glad I didn't buy one :D

DA is similar surface area to LF but just sorta runs into a top speed wall and won't go any faster. Good for learning, because you don't need to be so exact with kite sizes either.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun May 27, 2018 9:46 am

Safest strap are single front as Peter say - much harder to stay lock in. But one more consideration is strap inserts distance. Standard spacing is too narrow and can lock if board rotate. 2cm wider than standard and lock is impossible. Even safer than hook - because hooks have they own inherent dangers. I also find one center one much more riding friendly /you are in surfing position instead windsurfing pos. :)/ . Very easy transition to strapless. I now use strap only in superlight wind where it buy time for me - im tiny bit more efficient at waterstart with strap. Forget about rear strap.

Return to “Hydrofoil”