A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: flying foot switch - advice needed

Postby jakemoore » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:36 am

So I did 50 touch down jibes today and 30 attempts at a flying jibe. Nailed just one. It was sweet. Top tips were practicing ski stance on the balance point, waiting to feel the kite lift, and the little pump to unweight the board. Thank you all so very much for the tips. I’m sure it will be some time before I can duplicate this experience. Also, at my clumsy level, if I was riding a mini pocket I would not even try for fear of the inevitable wipeouts. Gentle touchdown behavior really helps with confidence.

oregonkiter
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: Foil stuff

Postby oregonkiter » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:17 pm

Nice! Now just keep at it. 1/30-->2/30-->10/30 etc

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:15 am

tried it today, but the wind was too low and I was dropping too quickly as my first attempts were so slow and clumsy, did get round once but more good luck than skill.
I need a little more wind to balance against.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
Kraken fuse 703k

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,

Postby Foil » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:49 pm

Second day trying this foot switch, moving my front foot back to meet my newly positioned back foot was flipping hard to do, lots of spectacular wipe outs with board shooting off like a rocket, I changed back to the moses T60 as it offered more stability than my pocket board,
I eventually managed to get both feet side by side by lifting my heel and quickly zig zaging my foot back, then carefully looping the kite high up to gently pull me round whilst flying high, every time apart from two it ended in me being totally off balance and more silly looking falls,
twice I sailed away like on a half toeside half heelside tack, I could keep this stance going but not able to get my new front foot to move forward without a massive out of balance wobble and tip in.
Then the wind picked up and turned very gusty making all attempts very scary, but the first stage has been done, feet in ski stance going both ways, and now a much bigger range of silly wipe outs.
Cant wait to get back out to keep at it, must crack it before my next holiday in august (this year)

HaylingBilly
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hayling Island U.K.
Favorite Beaches: Gotta be Hayling Island...
Gear: Slingshot Lift Foil, Liquid Force 12m solo, FS Sonic11 & 15, Naish Pivot 10m, Best TS 10m, Blade Trigger 7m, FS Unity 10, FS Peak4 8.
Moses Onda, Lift/Slingshot NF2

Postby HaylingBilly » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:30 am

A breakthrough point for me was, after the foot switch to toe side, I immediately remove my rear hand from the bar and extend my arm into the inside of the turn for balance. At the same time i am using my front hand to downloop the kite. I have found that aiming for this arm out stance helps initiate the carve and keeps the tension in the kite lines during the downloop. It also opens up my shoulders into the turn and allows me to save many botched gybes.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kraken fuse 703k

Postby Foil » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:08 am

HaylingBilly wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:30 am
A breakthrough point for me was, after the foot switch to toe side, I immediately remove my rear hand from the bar and extend my arm into the inside of the turn for balance. At the same time i am using my front hand to downloop the kite. I have found that aiming for this arm out stance helps initiate the carve and keeps the tension in the kite lines during the downloop. It also opens up my shoulders into the turn and allows me to save many botched gybes.
that's exactly what I do for my flying gybes round to toeside and I have really got these nailed to the point of being able to point high (one way not as high the other way) and loop the kite as I am going along to gain more speed and height,
but going back to heelside I power round with both hands on the bar either under looping the kite for aggressive powered turns or simply over the top for a smoother turn back to heelside.
I am not able to visualize your advice above for my problem in the foot switch I am trying to crack, its the actual movement of the foot back into the strap, it feels like its superglued to the deck,
I will be celebrating big style when i get this little move cracked.

HaylingBilly
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hayling Island U.K.
Favorite Beaches: Gotta be Hayling Island...
Gear: Slingshot Lift Foil, Liquid Force 12m solo, FS Sonic11 & 15, Naish Pivot 10m, Best TS 10m, Blade Trigger 7m, FS Unity 10, FS Peak4 8.
Moses Onda, Lift/Slingshot NF2

Postby HaylingBilly » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:35 pm

I still ride with two front straps because it makes the foot switch far less complex. I have tried three straps and have hurt myself in a crash so went straight back to two.
I pump the foil slightly as i raise the kite, switch feet at the apex of the foil pump and concentrate on getting my hips turned to the toeside stance - If you dont turn your hips then your new rear foot will not head to the back of the board and you will end up stuck at ski stance...Then i remove my rear hand and downloop the kite as i look into the gybe direction.
Even if you dont get your rear foot into an ideal location, as long as you get to a toeside stance you can get stable and gybe.....sometimes.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kraken fuse 703k

Postby Foil » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:11 am

HaylingBilly wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:35 pm
I still ride with two front straps because it makes the foot switch far less complex. I have tried three straps and have hurt myself in a crash so went straight back to two.
I pump the foil slightly as i raise the kite, switch feet at the apex of the foil pump and concentrate on getting my hips turned to the toeside stance - If you dont turn your hips then your new rear foot will not head to the back of the board and you will end up stuck at ski stance...Then i remove my rear hand and downloop the kite as i look into the gybe direction.
Even if you dont get your rear foot into an ideal location, as long as you get to a toeside stance you can get stable and gybe.....sometimes.
Thanks,
right I can now visualize your explanation, and will dry run the procedure later today and then hit the water with fresh enthusiasm,
turning my hips is key then as I was stuck at ski stance,like you I only ever use two front straps,moving the back foot forward is hard but so much easier than moving the front foot back.
(might wear my helmet for this, I have a good snowboard one)

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kraken fuse 703k

Postby Foil » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:48 pm

Firstly thanks to TomW for starting this thread,
and then thanks to HaylingBilly for helping me crack this flipping tricky manoeuvre.

I was up at 5am today as I could not sleep as it was on my mind, and I was visualizing what HaylingBilly had contributed.

After warming up for an hour out at Newbrough on flat water and 14mph winds with my 9mtr,I gave it a go.

Very quickly I realized the turning of the hips-looking over into the turn-and dropping the forward arm back towards the water made a huge difference.

Within 30 minutes I cracked a Perfect flying foot switch, soon after another one going the other way, I just kept at it for a solid hour or more, but some of the falls were dramatic and made me rest for a bit and just fly round the bay thinking it through, I was amazed how much at ease I was getting with my feet both together midway between the straps, twisting my hips and flying round high up and at speed, the only sticky bit was the difficulty in unweighting my body mass to move both feet into their final position, only a few CM but so hard to set up, I got it many times but when I got it wrong the falls were never gentle, the board just shot off into space as I fell the opposite way.
In total I sailed for 5hours 30min with a half hour break, covered over 35 miles and gained so much confidence it was simply unreal, from thinking my feet were superglued to the deck, I was able to move around the deck quite quickly realising the little wobbles were just that, little wobbles, the only time they turned nasty was after the turn and during the final two footed final positioning.
But I am there, just practice practice practice. cant wait for tomorrow!

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:31 am

Jeees foil, 5 hours on the water? Impressive. After 1 hour I'm getting tired. And I ride a bike 80-100km a week to keep my legs in shape.
I'm missing something significant as I'm not anyway near a flying footswitch. I think it's speed and Cajones.
I need a coach.
Problem is, guys around here think I'm doing better than them....a local told me there's 5 guys in Sweden that can do a flying tack. Swedish national championship in July 6-8 and dudes practicing so they can tack might win...
And a guy from Perth visiting said, looks good !!! How long u bin foilin mate ?
WTF??? I suck man! Can't even do a flying footswitch!!!

Return to “Hydrofoil”