Forum for kitesurfers
Seawolf
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Wolfbeach
Gear: Elements 5

Dakine option spreader

Postby Seawolf » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:56 pm

Gdday folks!

My Mystic Warrior is about to fall apart after 5 years of abuse :thumb: ...Still going strong, but and I'm afraid its going to break on a windy day.

I ride mostly strapless freestyle and some waves. Want to buy a Dakine C1 harness with option spreader bar. And my question is this.

The spreader bar comes in three different lengths 8-10-12 inches. Is this just to accompany the different size of the Harnesses like S-M-L?
or is it to the preferences of the rider?
Like if want my chicken loop to travel far out towards my hips...I would get the longest or...? Anybody who has any experience with this?
Thanks for reply!

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Dakine option spreader

Postby TomW » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:25 pm

What ever you do,. Don't get the 2017 version. It is faulty design and the bar will want to slide off retainer on clip side, putting pressure on the plastic clip which will fail.
They changed design in 2018.
I emailed retailer, powekiteshop in UK and directly to Dakine about the problem, but no response. Dissatisfied that a 50 £ spreader bar fails after 4 sessions...

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:32 pm

Seawolf wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:56 pm
Gdday folks!

My Mystic Warrior is about to fall apart after 5 years of abuse :thumb: ...Still going strong, but and I'm afraid its going to break on a windy day.

I ride mostly strapless freestyle and some waves. Want to buy a Dakine C1 harness with option spreader bar. And my question is this.

The spreader bar comes in three different lengths 8-10-12 inches. Is this just to accompany the different size of the Harnesses like S-M-L?
Like if want my chicken loop to travel far out towards my hips...I would get the longest or...? Anybody who has any experience with this?
Thanks for reply!
Really just for the different sizes. Putting the 12" slider on someone with an XS harness wouldn't work, etc..

SENDIT!

peppedurso
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Sicily / Cape Town
Style: Wave Riding and Freestyle Strapless
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters
Appletree Malus Domestica 4'11 / Luke's Leaf 4'9 / Appleflap noseless 5'1
Brand Affiliation: Appletree/Cabrinha

Postby peppedurso » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:16 pm

SENDIT! wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:32 pm
Seawolf wrote:
Gdday folks!

Thanks for reply!
Really just for the different sizes. Putting the 12" slider on someone with an XS harness wouldn't work, etc..

SENDIT!
Sendit I have to disagree with you, I’ve a RE xs with a 12” carbon rope bar and its the best wave setup I’ve ever had!

Wind Runner
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Emerald Isle, Indian Beach, Bogue Sound, Cape Lookout, all in NC
Style: Back and forth
Gear: Slingshot Rally 7, 9, Switch Nano 12, Slingshot Turbine 15
Misfit 136, 146
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140, 150

Postby Wind Runner » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:19 pm

I just bought one and I suggest you consider getting one that is 1 size smaller than the normal bar you use. The reason is that the end that has the attachment clip on it is very long which once attached makes the distance between your strap attachment points father apart. To compensate for this I need to have the straps on the clip end tightened as far as they can possibly go. My normal hook bar is 10" and I replaced it with the 10" Option bar, but I should have bought the 8". That said, I am able to get it to work, I just don't like that it's so wide from straps to straps.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil

Postby SENDIT! » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:10 pm

peppedurso wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:16 pm
SENDIT! wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:32 pm
Seawolf wrote:
Gdday folks!

Thanks for reply!

SENDIT!
Sendit I have to disagree with you, I’ve a RE xs with a 12” carbon rope bar and its the best wave setup I’ve ever had!
Ok, so I guess I SHOULD'VE said "For MOST people..." ;)

I have a customer with a Ride Engine, Medium, and we had to swap out the 10" bar for the 8" to better fit him. He's 6 ft tall, but really skinny. So yeah, you can find some exceptions there, but I think my previous statement holds true in MOST cases. It does make me wonder if you'd be fine with a Small harness with the 10"? Lots of ways to fine tune, I suppose.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SENDIT! » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:13 pm

IBaKiteboarder wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:19 pm
I just bought one and I suggest you consider getting one that is 1 size smaller than the normal bar you use. The reason is that the end that has the attachment clip on it is very long which once attached makes the distance between your strap attachment points father apart. To compensate for this I need to have the straps on the clip end tightened as far as they can possibly go. My normal hook bar is 10" and I replaced it with the 10" Option bar, but I should have bought the 8". That said, I am able to get it to work, I just don't like that it's so wide from straps to straps.
Yeah, that's a good point. The clips are somewhat long on the Option spreader bar. These are definitely best tested in person to see how they fit you. :thumb:

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire
Has thanked: 0

Postby topmick » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:23 am

I'm thinking about ordering a 10", have no way to try one first. I've been using a small Dakine Renegade with a 10" Dakine bar for years.
Trouble with dropping from a 10 to 8" is that you loose 2" of travel & I want more travel, not less.
Could someone please measure the extra distance needed for the new clip in setup please.

Seawolf
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Wolfbeach
Gear: Elements 5

Postby Seawolf » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:18 am

Thanks for input.

I went with the small C1 harness and the 8 spreader bar, seemed like the best fit.
The local surf shop only had the 8 and 12 bar. And the 12 was way to wide for the small harness. Could probably gone away with the medium harness, but it wouldn't have been a snug fit...

Had some good winds yesterday, and got to try it out. Instant feelgood :thumb: riding topside was a whole new experience. Did my first air reverse one small waves, and i give the harness the credit :D

W
topmick wrote: I'm thinking about ordering a 10", have no way to try one first. I've been using a small Dakine Renegade with a 10" Dakine bar for years.
Trouble with dropping from a 10 to 8" is that you loose 2" of travel & I want more travel, not less.
Could someone please measure the extra distance needed for the new clip in setup please.
Also wonder if its possible to use the 10 one a small harness, so i can upgrade later on. As a first time user yesterday, i didn't feel the need for more travel, but maybe later on...

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire
Has thanked: 0

Postby topmick » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:26 am

Hey Seawolf, would you mind measuring the length of the new clip/open & closing mech, so I can see if I have room for the 10" on my harness please.

Return to “Kitesurfing”