Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.
Brand Affiliation: None

Need kevlar booties

Postby rtz » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:02 am

Lake got zebra mussels. Seen anything that doesn't get sliced up?

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Need kevlar booties

Postby ronnie » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:23 am

rtz wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:02 am
Lake got zebra mussels. Seen anything that doesn't get sliced up?
ION make booties with kevlar in the soles. They call them Ballistic Boots. Mine have lasted well.

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:40 am

Good to know someone makes something. Those will be the next ones I get. I'd hate to walk much on coral with standard soled "reef booties". What a joke and misleading name. Better than barefoot? Sure as long as the thin, soft rubber sole doesn't get sliced open.

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:14 am

Just google surf boots kevlar. One of the hits you'll get is for Atan booties. French, good quality. Mystic does them too. I have O'Neill Ninja booties with Kevlar. Sole is great, and it really works well, but it's only the sole....the side of your foot might need protection as well!

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:48 pm

These are supposed to be super tough:

http://www.getfyf.com/

As I understood it, they started with kevlar but moved on to dynema or similar as it was a better option for clothing. Haven't used them. Would like to try a pair though but they are a bit pricey.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:50 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:48 pm
These are supposed to be super tough:

http://www.getfyf.com/

As I understood it, they started with kevlar but moved on to dynema or similar as it was a better option for clothing. Haven't used them. Would like to try a pair though but they are a bit pricey.
I am planning on getting a pair of these for when I'm in the OBX. I hate wearing booties and these things fit like socks. RickI has been using them for some years and has been pretty pleased with them, I think. We'll have to see if he chimes in for more details...

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:16 am

I have the low cut barefoot company socks which I love. They are brilliant. No cuts.

You might feel a bit silly; they are a pickle to get over the little toes when busting for a session but fit perfectly once wet. The grey coating material has wornn away on the bottom at the front but the socks have no holes and the main thread is still strong and intacted.
I’ve used them for about 3 weeks worth of sessions in total and they’re still going strong. Pricy but I’d get a new pair immediately if I lost or they failed. They get a bit stinky too. I give them 4.5 stars out of 5. 😀

markap42
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby markap42 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:58 am

I bought a pair of barefoot company socks. They were too small and the company REFUSED to exchange them. STAY AWAY FROM THEM. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Return to “Kitesurfing”