Forum for kitesurfers
Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dwight » Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:29 am

On 2002-09-05 12:10, Mr Jo Macdonald wrote:
Thanks for the photo Dwight, I see you've also got a snap shackle on the bar. What sort of situations are you using that in?
The shackle is what the leash attaches too. I use the X2 style front line mounted sliding center leash. I feed it through the main loop and chicken loop and clip it to the shackle.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:40 am

Ok gottcha,
I just clip the slingshot leash to the hook between the release handle pivot pin and the bar, seems to work fine. I'm not using a snap shackle on the leash because I reckon I can open it as fast as I could a velcro strap if I ever need to anyway, either at the spreader bar or the kite bar.

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:50 am

Why does this QR hook is easier to release than a snap shackle?

When I get out of he loop I keep the kite low to the side of the window and hook again.

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:45 pm

I use a snap shackle tied to my spreader bar. I can launch and land in the chicken loop and release and secure my shackle while sailing along. I never launch while in the shackle.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:01 pm

On 2002-09-05 15:45, Royce wrote:
I use a snap shackle tied to my spreader bar. I can launch and land in the chicken loop and ..........
Ah, but you've commited the deadly sin of being hooked in on dry land. With this spreader bar, you can't ever be locked in with no way out.

I also think it's unsafe to launch and land unhooked with the kite depowered with the strap. You have no trim control to prevent the kite from overflying or stalling in the gusty winds typical near land. The chicken loop is an important and safer way to launch and land, provided you can release from it.

Some will say you may not have time to release. This is true. You have to weigh the risks, versus the superior kite contol, if needed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dwight on 2002-09-05 18:06 ]</font>

surfsteve
Rare Poster

Postby surfsteve » Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:40 pm

I saw the picture of the spreader bar but I'm not sure how it works. I'm new to kite-boarding (been windsurfing for 15 years) and did my first body drag about a month ago and I came out of the chicken loop during a squal and had to crash the kite because I couldn't get the chicken loop back into my reactor bar.

I swore after that, that I would have a secure way of hooking in before I tried it again and most of the guys are using the snap shackle which doesn't sound like it releases under panic conditions.

I live in the Columbia Gorge. Is there anyplace I can look at this new spreader bar? Right now I'm flying old junker kites and if I spend my money It will be in a secure and safe way to hook into the kite. I'm also still considering going the snap shackle route. I've read on another forum that the bigger snap shackles are easier to release. Is this true? Where can I buy or look at snap shackles in the Columbia Gorge? Do I have to go to Portland?

phree
Medium Poster

Postby phree » Thu Sep 05, 2002 6:37 pm

Hey Steve. Welcome to the Forum. Your first post here touches on one of the controversial subjects in kiteboarding safety. As you can see, there are allot of people handling the snap shackle issue in different ways. The Pro-Limit QR Spreader Bar is one of the latest options that has come up. My advice is to thoroughly research the pros and cons of whether you really want to snap shackle or not. If you decide NOT to shackle then seriously consider the Quick Release spreader bar, for sure.

I think Kiteworld is in your neighborhood. Call 'em up and talk to Denny. Tell him Murph sent ya.
Kiteworld

Here's the website for the QR spreader bar:
Pro-Limit

Click on this link if you want to read a really great set of Safety Guidelines:

Safety Guidelines

Welcome to kiteboarding and to Kiteforum! You're going to have a blast!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: phree on 2002-09-05 19:54 ]</font>

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Thu Sep 05, 2002 6:57 pm

On 2002-09-05 18:40, surfsteve wrote:
I saw the picture of the spreader bar but I'm not sure how it works. I'm new to kite-boarding (been windsurfing for 15 years) and did my first body drag about a month ago and I came out of the chicken loop during a squal and had to crash the kite because I couldn't get the chicken loop back into my reactor bar.

I swore after that, that I would have a secure way of hooking in before I tried it again and most of the guys are using the snap shackle which doesn't sound like it releases under panic conditions.

I live in the Columbia Gorge. Is there anyplace I can look at this new spreader bar? Right now I'm flying old junker kites and if I spend my money It will be in a secure and safe way to hook into the kite. I'm also still considering going the snap shackle route. I've read on another forum that the bigger snap shackles are easier to release. Is this true? Where can I buy or look at snap shackles in the Columbia Gorge? Do I have to go to Portland?
Bigger shackles don’t release better. It’s just the opposite of what common sense would lead you to believe. I have owned and used 4 different shackles. Bigger shackles release better with NO LOAD. In fact, they have feather light triggers, so it’s easy to understand the logic. But what happens under load is, the larger pin diameter has more surface area, which creates more drag, to which you must overcome to pull the release ring. A small shackle, with small pin, releases with far less force UNDER LOAD. Hang in your shackle and try it. We were all shocked at the results of this test when we did it in my garage. This applies to shackles with pin releases.

I’ve also tried one of the so-called great shackles for kiting. The one hundred dollar Taylaska (spelling?) copy made by Wichard. It was a nightmare to release. The trigger is a joke.

The Pro Limit isn’t perfect either. You have to get a good one that doesn’t stick.

At least with the Pro Limit you have the option to UNHOOK. It’s a real shame to limit your riding style to only hooked in stuff.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:06 pm

On 2002-09-05 18:40, surfsteve wrote:
I'm new to kite-boarding (been windsurfing for 15 years) and did my first body drag about a month ago and I came out of the chicken loop during a squal and had to crash the kite because I couldn't get the chicken loop back into my reactor bar.

For give me if this sounds like I'm picking on you, I am not. Your experiences are typical of all newbies. The chicken loop quickly becomes a crutch you can not live without. Try hard to not fall into that trap. Learn to handle the kites full power in the fixed loop, in addition to using the chicken loop. You will have less problems and become a better all around kiter.

surfsteve
Rare Poster

Postby surfsteve » Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:52 pm

I've talked to a few shop owners and they are all against snap shackles. My problem right now is I'm using a reactor bar which works well for windsurfing but I come out of the chicken loop much too easily. I was kind of hoping for an inexpensive solution and adapt my windsurfing harness but if a snap shackle doesn't release under panic conditions it's no good.

Where I am learning RUFUS, OREGON seems like a great place to learn. Sand would be better but RUFUS is full of round gravel. I've heard stories of people being dragged into the parked cars which are the only hard objects and I purposely park a little further back. But there are no sharp rocks and no trees. It has a nice strong current that goes against the wind and I was able to body drag for well over an hour in the same spot by parking the kite in neutral and letting the current drag me back upwind.

At the very least I think I should ditch the reactor bar and use a hook. I have good control over the kite and I'm ready to try the board... unless being able to get in and out of the chicken loop is something I should learn first.

Return to “Kitesurfing”