Gear: Slingshot, BRM
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Your worst kitesurf injury ?

Postby skiting » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:42 am

wind chaser wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:49 am

Yes, this is by far the worst injury ever experienced. Not so much the pain, but the very slow rate of recovery. Sounds like you're recovering much faster. I got 9 screws and a plate. Can only bend 45 for now and not expected to bend 90 until october. No weight on it until 3 months (late December)...2017 Season is over. Can't even go to work till October...bored out of mind. Buddy sent me a melodica so I can kill time making loud obnoxious reggae and blues noise.

best of luck on a quick recovery.
indeed by far worst injury ever experienced... I am bit confused on the recovery times.. I hear a lot of people with tp fractures are much more conservative (no weight for 3 months, like you) but my surgeon is much more aggressive.. he put me on a knee bending machine (CPM) 2 days after surgery (with a 10 degree increase every two days) and actually told me that even two weeks after the surgery I should start putting a bit of weight on my injured leg..and he told me it is ok to drive and fly so I was back at work 1 week post op..he even told me that I might be back in the water in November.. not sure whether he's just an optimistic guy, or whether my fracture is more stable (it did look pretty bad on the xray).. I am hoping I am not doing too much ... and I am not spring chicken either, nearing 50..

wind chaser
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: California
Style: Free-Surf-Foil
Gear: Slingshot, Best, Duotone

Postby wind chaser » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:46 am

Couple questions:
Were you riding boots or straps when you had your injury?
Dr said you can drive and Fly... Which leg is fractured (right or left)?

There was no way my leg would bend after surgery. It took 2 weeks then they put a 45 degree brace on. My quad just started working yesterday. In october I get it changed to 90 deg. I was told that I can't drive for another 3 months.

FYI - the cost of this injury is now at $145,000 (still increasing). I have an HDHP and it sucks.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:55 am

^
$145,000 ? Wtf?

I've fractured my wrist when snow boarding in Japan, paid $100 as a turist there....

wind chaser
Medium Poster

Postby wind chaser » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:15 am

No idea. American health care system. The 145K was for surgery. Avoid an HDHP if you can. It's covering most costs but its bullshit. Still paying several thousand out of pocket.
Last edited by wind chaser on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

skiting
Rare Poster
Gear: Slingshot, BRM

Postby skiting » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:19 am

man I am really sorry about the crazy cost.. this seems to me no HDHP, it seems like almost no plan at all.. I mean what is the plan paying?

my total costs so far (which I hope the insurance will pay) are still under 20k.. how long was your surgery? i was awake during mine and it lasted about 45 mins..

on the questions, I was wearing straps.. and I think the problem was that I was not able to kick away the board, which caused my knee to rotate during the crash.. I was also not on my usual board (SS vision), but on a Cabrina custom.. which I really like but i think it has streps that are too sticky..the crazy thing is that that day I was landing every jump, and feeling in total control...

and yes I fractured my left leg, that's why I can drive(automatic car) see that's the other thing about my doc.. asked him about braces.. he goes.. nahh you don't need no stinking brace..

only think I wear, which helps a ton with the swelling, is a compression sleeve..

anyway, let's have faith and hope things end up well for both of us!!

wind chaser wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:46 am
Couple questions:
Were you riding boots or straps when you had your injury?
Dr said you can drive and Fly... Which leg is fractured (right or left)?

There was no way my leg would bend after surgery. It took 2 weeks then they put a 45 degree brace on. My quad just started working yesterday. In october I get it changed to 90 deg. I was told that I can't drive for another 3 months.

FYI - the cost of this injury is now at $145,000 (still increasing). I have an HDHP and it sucks.

wind chaser
Medium Poster

Postby wind chaser » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:25 am

The HDHP covers most costs but I think out of pocket is $7500.

You were awake when they drilled screws???

I have a 1ft long incision on the right side and 2 inch on the left side. I was out the whole time. Think it took 2hrs.
It seemed like the surgery was worse than the fracture. When I woke up my foot had intense pain for some reason. My leg felt like was rolled over by a truck. They kept me in the hospital for 2 days. Nerves still seem like they're rebuilding.

Idk about these Drs. Seems like it was excessive to me. Maybe he put so many screws in to make it stronger.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:46 am

i had one of 7 screws out today in my ankle - another 6 months to the rest of the metal work out.

Mental health is a way bigger deal than injury pain for an addicted kiter used to years of non stop buzz in long term injuries.

I learned you need to replace that kite buzz, don't under estimate this - it's not easy but find things you can do that's regular, both social and physical - don't let your brain go on at you about what you really want to be doing - eg back kiting sooner than is possible. Force your brain to think about things you can do (eg swimming /isolated injury gym exercise) at the time, not can't do - your brain will tell you they are boring compared to kiting and so try and demotivate you from doing them as they don't have as much buzz as kiting, or that you won't be able to kite again - fight this..

b careful getting into swimming before stitches have fully healed due to infection risk

any other good ideas for exercise things to do? i cant swim for a month from today after swimming most days of the last 3 months. :-(

firefox
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hayling Island & Big Bay, South Affrica
Style: Wave
Gear: North / Duotone

Postby firefox » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:49 pm

Super old thread but just been diagnosed with Lisfranc injury so +1 there, surgery tomorrow. Sigh. First "major" injury kiting, besides the 7 staples to the head from the foil BOARD hitting me on the head about 4 months ago. Lots of blood and confidence knocked but not hospitalised. Anyone reading this thread would shit themselves about how dangerous kiting is :-)

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:08 pm

Came down from a jump wrong yesterday, no broken ribs visible on the X-ray, but something is not in the right place now in my lower left rib cage. Felt like I got punched by a gorilla, probably torn cartilage.

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Copenhagen, most of Denmark and northern Germany.
Style: Biting off more than I can usually chew.
Gear: XR5, Fusion 3.

Postby SaltWaterDog » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:30 pm

I haven’t had injuries worse than a twisted/sprained ankle and maybe I’m lucky, but I’ve had prior injuries aggravated because of a hard landing or wipeout (knee and lower back). But that’s gone now over the last 3 years that I’ve started to take seriously the importance of working out so that I’m better on the water. Can’t recommend enough that people swim, do core work on a mat at home or simple cross-fit related strength training (kettle bells, pull up bar etc.)

Return to “Kitesurfing”