A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
kazi
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Best place to learn to foil on East Coast

Postby kazi » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:50 pm

Ok....

Here is my situation.

I've had about 5 - 1 hour sessions on a Zeeko spitfire with large wings and a short mast (2+ft). Probably not the best board to learn but it's all I have now and I can't afford another.
I'm in SE Florida (Stuart) and conditions are 2-3 foot waves followed by chop.

I feel like the only area I've improved over the last 5 sessions was getting the board under my feet and getting up (as in diving the kite and standing up before I get thrown off).

I appeal to those on this board to help me find a place I can spend a couple of days or even a week to get this thing down. I'm willing to drive up and sleep out of my car.

The one caveat and probably the main reason I have not progressed is my fear of sharks. I don't like going out and spending most of the time crashing splashing and doing everything possible to attract them. I'd like to get to the point that I'm not in a state of one constant crash when I go kiting. Something more like ride out, crash, ride in crash...would ease my shark anxiety. (The life guard station I kite regularly at is one of two places here in Florida (and the planet as far as I'm aware) where a kiter was killed by sharks)

Anyway..if there are any lakes or places where the sharks are super chill and the depth and conditions are good for foiling please fill me in.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Re: Best place to learn to foil on East Coast

Postby Hugh2 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:55 pm

With a short mast you can foil most anywhere in the sound at Cape Hatteras. And once out in the sound after a little body dragging you can foil with full mast, plus at Canadian Hole if not too busy, plus in a narrow strip off Kite Point. That's where I have foiled on the east coast, although once comfortable on a tall mast, heading over the dunes to the ocean opposite Canadian Hole on a slightly off-shore southerly breeze is heavenly. And if you insist you can sleep out of your car at any of the many campsites, both NP and private, or cabins at Frisco Woods Campground, or various motels. I just had a week there doing exactly that.

kazi
Medium Poster

Postby kazi » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:35 pm

Hugh2 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:55 pm
With a short mast you can foil most anywhere in the sound at Cape Hatteras. And once out in the sound after a little body dragging you can foil with full mast, plus at Canadian Hole if not too busy, plus in a narrow strip off Kite Point. That's where I have foiled on the east coast, although once comfortable on a tall mast, heading over the dunes to the ocean opposite Canadian Hole on a slightly off-shore southerly breeze is heavenly. And if you insist you can sleep out of your car at any of the many campsites, both NP and private, or cabins at Frisco Woods Campground, or various motels. I just had a week there doing exactly that.
Awesome. That's what I was looking for. I'll do more research but since I have you on can you tell me when the season is good there. I'm from the NW and have only kites there and Florida.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:53 am

April-October is best for Hatteras, although you can kite there year-round if you don't mind a little chill.

I don't foil, but I have to believe there are better spots on Florida's inland waterways than what you're describing. Go north past Jupiter (e.g., Melbourne, Cocoa Beach or Titusville), and there should be suitable spots on the Banana or Indian Rivers. Ask the guys at Jupiter Kiteboarding or call 321 Kiteboarding in Cocoa Beach for advice.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:20 am

Yup, a large group of us from the midwest go to Cape Hatteras for a week each mid-April and mid-October, plus a family week in late May or early June, plus I go for a solo week each summer when the forecast is good and sleep in my van in one of the NP campgrounds. The downwinders are hard to beat, both Oceanside and on the sound.

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia
Has thanked: 0

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:27 am

Getting 3 days in a row is the best way to improve
Even with your Spitfire all the basics still apply
Use a front strap and start with back foot over or slightly in front of mast then inch back till takeoff is controlled.
Then pitch control happens with muscle memory.
Trying to keep height at half mast helps roll control

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:10 am

Not to scare you away from foiling, but you are way more likely to hit fish with your hydrofoil.
So staying on the board, does not keep you away from sharks...
Just a couple days ago I had a session where I hit 5-6 cownose rays (presumably, as I saw some in the water on that day)
It's impossible to see them reliably in our murky North East waters and they knock you off the board on any decent speed, like you hit a dead body in the water.
I am not afraid of sharks in general, but after such wipeout I start looking around for fins while I bodydgrag back to the board...
kazi wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:50 pm

The one caveat and probably the main reason I have not progressed is my fear of sharks. I don't like going out and spending most of the time crashing splashing and doing everything possible to attract them. I'd like to get to the point that I'm not in a state of one constant crash when I go kiting. Something more like ride out, crash, ride in crash...would ease my shark anxiety. (The life guard station I kite regularly at is one of two places here in Florida (and the planet as far as I'm aware) where a kiter was killed by sharks)

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia
Has thanked: 0

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:27 am

As for sharks. Just kite near surfers, way easier target for a shark

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:37 pm

Drive up to Merritt Island. Foil Kelly Park. Chest deep for miles. Many foilers ride there. No weeds. Better than OBX for learning and you can sleep at home. Short drive.

kriskris
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 162
Local Beach: Crack Park
Style: Foil
Gear: 633 Onda Peak4 8,5,4,3m

Postby kriskris » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:55 am

Better yet Crack Park in Melboure FL.

Return to “Hydrofoil”