Forum for kitesurfers
presto
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

X2 vs X3

Postby presto » Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:00 am

I have a 16M Naish X2 which I love. Also an 12M AeroII which I don't :!: Now thinking about a 12M X2 or X3 instead.
With the 2004 kites about to become common, there are lots of X2s and a few X3s being turned over. Some end of season new X3s are getting cheaper.
Are X3s a pro kite and too hard for intermediate kiters to use in a wide range of conditions :?:
Are X3s a much better kite, given they are quite a bit more expensive :?:
Is the new X4 more like an X2 :?:
Presto

cyclone
Frequent Poster

Postby cyclone » Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:05 am

The x2 is a better kite in most peoples opinion that ive spoken to and i also think the same.

Here in australia, the x2 are still available new and are less than half price when they came out... mine is 2 years old and still not even 1 puncture or rip!!!

The x2 still is the best kite from naish EVER -even in 2004 IMHO, but the x4 is nearly here and i bet its gonna be very similar to x2 rather than x3. Quite a few people have switched brands after owning the x3`s...hmmm...

Myself cant wait any longer so im goin for rhino4 or SS (cant decide?) for my new kit...otherwise id just keep my x2`s...

PLans
Rare Poster

Postby PLans » Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:17 am

Yes the X2 is a great kite, but i like very much my X3, is SO fast. I don´t think it is too advanced for an intermediate kiter. It has a huge range. I have a x3 10 and have flown it from 14 knots up to 28 and is pretty good. I weight 70 kg and ride a Hana Crew 124 nemesis. I love this kite but is a matter of choice. I think this year I will give the Best kites a shot, I´ve heard pretty good things bout this kites.

kitebored
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitebored » Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:27 am

why don't you like your aero II compared to your x2? What differences do you notice about them?

I need to buy a 16 soon and was also noticing the recent availability of inexpensive used x3's.

presto
Rare Poster

X2 vs X3

Postby presto » Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:45 am

I find the Aero II difficult to depower in overpowered conditions and not as sensitive to upwind board edging. (My Aero II actually prefers to fly to the right all the time which makes matters worse. )
The X2 depends on apparent wind more, so edging hard upwind can be used well to slow it & get back in control when overpowered.

I had heeps of trouble staying upwind on the Aero II but can go upwind effortlessly with my X2.

The X2 may be harder to water relaunch but it seems harder to stall if a move is miscalculated, so it doesn't seem to end up in the water. Smaller sizes than my 16M may not be so stable :!:

Finally the turning motion of the X2 is different - it seems to sweep more smoothly than the Aero II which sometimes almost stalls during turns.

kitebored
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitebored » Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:07 am

have you tried to contact naish about the flying right thing? I heard that they recalled kites for that, maybe they could get you a replacement that flew straight?

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:21 am

Aloha Presto,

I can completely agree with you about the 16 X2. I liked it so much that I've just bought a 12 X2 and was finally able to see why people said that 12 was the sweet size for the X2. I transitioned to it easily and you should be able to as well. It's even faster than the 16, but is still plenty stable. If I would've known that Kitepower was going to be selling them NEW for the same price that I bought it USED, I'd have contacted him. Oh well. :roll:
I'm looking forward to the windier days that should be coming with our Spring here so I can go out and rip with it, too.

Aloha,

SENDIT!

pipedragon
Frequent Poster

Postby pipedragon » Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:34 am

I have the 16 X2 as well which I was trying to sell last year but I just can't part with it. Although it is not the best low wind kite, it is the most safe feeling kite I have ever flown. By that I mean I never feel like I am going to get over powered or lofted if the wind picks up. It also flys so well. It almost flys itself if I screw up in a trick. I have the X3 12 as well. I also love that kite a lot. It is very fast and after I got used to it I loved it. Not the best match in a quiver with the X2 because they are very different. A great kite though. I heard the bigger X3's are not that great. HArd to fly and not a lot of low end. I got a Rhino 2 for this year for my big kite but the X2 will be in the care for those flukey days. I also heard the X2 12 was one of the best kites and a lot of people said the X2 16 was a dud but I liked it. Hope this helps. :bye:

tux
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lignano
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara CE BR
Style: wave
Gear: Naish Helix Limited '09 9 North rebel '09 9; vegas '08 9 , rhino '07 14
John Amundson Pro model '08 Hydro '08

quiver

Postby tux » Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:51 am

X2 16 and X2 12 are a bad quiver, I've had it too but they are too cloose,you can use them in the same condition.
You'll be better to go for the X3 12 wich has an higher high end .Start later but you can hold it in more wind.
Greets Tux

pierre.d
Very Frequent Poster

Postby pierre.d » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:59 am

I completely agree with Tux, X2 16 is good because of the bottom end,
having a X3 12 good be a great complement (I have one) because of the huge top range .
the X3 is fast but it is really confortable kite because of its depower capabilities thus suitable for an intermediate rider.

Return to “Kitesurfing”