Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2018 Naish Slash

Forum for kitesurfers
Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Re: 2018 Naish Slash

Postby Dirk » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:11 am

It is a 2018 5m and it is my high wind surfboard riding kite. I only rode it once last autumn in strong and gusty Levante conditions in Tarifa with a strapped surfboard. Loved it. Being that size of course it turns very quick but that stability and ease in gusts was what made the day great.
I did not update that size to 2019 because I have hardly ridden the current one. As St. Peter Ording is my main spot I tend to ride my twin tip much more at the moment. We have a lot of great super flat areas and the waves are chaotic and mushy, so a twin tip (even for a bit of wave slashing) most days feels more suitable. Plus I am trying to refine my jumping technique and teaching my 14yr old son kite surfing. There is just that much you can do as a weekend rider.
That is why I am so happy that the 7m Slash really works so well with a twin tip. I also use it for teaching, works perfect.

Durao
Medium Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fuel x torch
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Durao » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:14 am

I had a Slash 10m 2017, and I was just improving on waves on that time.
Slash was a great and easy kite, easy relaunch, fast, and it was kind of the kite that need you to put all your effort in a session.
I read some comments and I agree that It has a lot of pull on the turns, however 2017 was the first year of Naish Slash model.
Naish says that model 2018 already got less pull in tight turns..
I agree as well that Slash seat a bit foward on the window, I am not sure how is i now on 2019 model.
Now I am riding a North Neo 2018 10M and it stays a bit backyard on window when you you ride wave down the line, that is the way I prefer.
Soon I am looking foward to ride a Slash 2019, I believe tha this model got all the necessary improvements,
but definitely Naish Slash is a great kite

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:50 am

Another thanks you dirk. You told me to try the surf foil for kiting. Insane fun.

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom

Postby Strekke » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:02 pm

riddim1 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:31 am
Hi All,
Getting some great info on this thread. I need some advice from Pivot/Slash users. Been riding Pivots every year since 2015. I only ride a directional in the surf. Do lots of downwinders mostly. I am 84kgs and currently have the 7/9m Pivot 2018’s. Would call myself intermediate/advanced. Have always loved the Pivots as it’s a great all rounder and i need a fast turning kite at my local which is on-shore wind swell. Issue is I never get the 9m out as the 7 works for me from 18kts. I don’t bother Kiting in any less these days due to having next to zero disposable spare time. The 7m is brilliant but I find with each passing new model, the power for boosting is getting more. The 2018 now yanks me off my board in turns and find it boosts me too high doing chop hops and small aerials. So my questions for Slash riders are:
1. Would the 7m 2018 or 2019 Slash have same/similar power to the 2018 7m Pivot?
2. What is the turning speed comparison for these two kites?

Going to go for a one kite quiver so need
To know if I should go for the 7m or 8m Slash. Thanks in advance.
Hmmm, tricky question. Low ends are kind of hard to compare because the kites fly (and need to be flown!) very differently. I have 2018 Pivot 7m, and Slash 9 & 6. My findings:

Pivot is more sheet and go, and a bit gruntier. I have the feeling that the Pivot also flies more forward in the window, so getting upwind or behind the line up sometimes feels easier on the Pivot (or at least, less work/effort to get there). Drifting wise, it's not as good as the Slash: gotta keep an eye on it when on the waves, as it tends to point down towards the water faster than the Slash (Pivot still drifts nicely though, just not as good as the Slash). When well powered, the Pivot can pull you off the wave because of its grunt.

Slash is nice because you can totally switch it off, down to 0 pull - both above you head as when parked at 10/2 o clock in the wave. Drifts so nice - just drop in and forget about it, it stays put and drifts down the line perfectly. Power wise, it's a different beast than the Pivot: you need to work it to get going. Send it hard, and pick up speed. Once up and running, it trucks along nicely, and will generate plenty of power. But you need to know how to actively fly a kite. Slowed down while riding out because of getting over a wave? You will need to dive it down hard again to get going. It generates power through the turns for sure, but you can also loop it quite tightly and then it pulls a lot less. The Pivot really does "pivot" more though - Slash doesn't turn as tight, but that's not a bad thing - once you get used to it and know how to ride it, the Slash turns plenty quick (but different), and is definitely the better kite in the waves.

Power-wise, just to give you an idea: today I was out on my 9m Slash, but had to come back in because the wind picked up too much and I got pulled of the wave a few times when dropping in and picking up speed. I could have ridden longer and power in the turns etc. was still manageable, but the waves were big and shooting down the line made it impossible to completely shut off the Slash's power. So, I switched to the 6m, didn't think I would have enough. I had to work the kite significantly, but managed to get out and tack upwind no problem once up to speed. Could've used 2 knots more to be perfectly powered, but it worked. Then switched with my gf who was on the 7m Pivot. Less work to get out there, and perfectly powered (didn't get pulled of the wave or anything). Definitely not enough power on the Pivot to go have a decent session on a TT or do some jumps though. 2 other guys stayed out on their 9's (Neo & Airush Wave) and said they were powered, but not overpowered...

So, if you know how to actively fly a kite and get the most out of it, you will be able to unlock the Slash's true low-end potential. If you're up for adapting to this active flying style, and mostly do downwinders, I'd get the 7. If you want to make sure you can get out in 18 knots without having to work the kite a lot, get the 8 (but of course you will lose top end...). I'd personally get the 7 - the smaller the kite, the more you can throw it around aggressively to get power, and also the more total "shut off" potential you get in the wave = the more you'll be surfing.

codifilo
Been thanked: 0

Postby codifilo » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:30 pm

riddim1 wrote:

Hmmm, tricky question. Low ends are kind of hard to compare because the kites fly (and need to be flown!) very differently. I have 2018 Pivot 7m, and Slash 9 & 6. My findings:
I'm thinking about getting a Naish Slash 9m and a smaller one. Is the gap between 9 and 6 too much or should I go for a 9 and a 7?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:27 am

codifilo wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:30 pm
riddim1 wrote:

I'm thinking about getting a Naish Slash 9m and a smaller one. Is the gap between 9 and 6 too much or should I go for a 9 and a 7?
Personally, I'd go with 9 - 7, ...but it depends on what wind range and weight and skill and preference you are looking for. My point is that if you get the right lights for your area, you'll be happier.

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom

Postby Strekke » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:45 am

codifilo wrote:
riddim1 wrote:

Depends on your riding style, what conditions you expect to ride with each kite, your weight, skill/experience/efficiency, board, etc. Needless to say, a 7 will be a better fit to your 9, but you will have less high end when it's cranking. I went for the 6 because I already had the Pivot 7. As stated in my previous post, last weekend I was out well powered on the 9, and could still ride it and hold it down, but it pulled too much once on the wave a few times when picking up speed, so not in its sweetspot anymore for my liking. I switched to the 6 and had to work it a lot, but got out there and upwind. The 6 pulls very nicely once you get it going and ride fast, but I would've preferred 2 or 3 knots more to be comfortably riding it without having to work the kite so much - I think the 7 would've been the perfect size for that session. I weigh 77 kgs, was out on a 5'1 Vader quad, the break was a mess to get through, and I think it was blowing 21-24 knots or something. If I were you, I'd get a 7, and would start saving up for a secondhand/last years 5 to add to the quiver at a later stage.

codifilo
Been thanked: 0

Postby codifilo » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:54 am

Strekke wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:45 am
codifilo wrote:
riddim1 wrote:

Depends on your riding style, what conditions you expect to ride with each kite, your weight, skill/experience/efficiency, board, etc. Needless to say, a 7 will be a better fit to your 9, but you will have less high end when it's cranking. I went for the 6 because I already had the Pivot 7. As stated in my previous post, last weekend I was out well powered on the 9, and could still ride it and hold it down, but it pulled too much once on the wave a few times when picking up speed, so not in its sweetspot anymore for my liking. I switched to the 6 and had to work it a lot, but got out there and upwind. The 6 pulls very nicely once you get it going and ride fast, but I would've preferred 2 or 3 knots more to be comfortably riding it without having to work the kite so much - I think the 7 would've been the perfect size for that session. I weigh 77 kgs, was out on a 5'1 Vader quad, the break was a mess to get through, and I think it was blowing 21-24 knots or something. If I were you, I'd get a 7, and would start saving up for a secondhand/last years 5 to add to the quiver at a later stage.
That was helpful. I'll get a 9 and a 7 then.

riddim1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Australia
Favorite Beaches: Spot X
Style: wave, foil
Gear: Naish, Firewire, Duotone, Lift

Postby riddim1 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:23 am

Thanks all for your replies to my questions. Very constructive and informative Strekke. Based on your review I think I’ll trade my 7/9 Pivots for the 7/9 Slash. I’m prepared to loose a knot or 2 low end. That’s the boring end imho.....

riddim1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Australia
Favorite Beaches: Spot X
Style: wave, foil
Gear: Naish, Firewire, Duotone, Lift

Postby riddim1 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:49 am

Can anyone report on or know of any good reviews for the 2019 Slash?

New colours look awesome but would like to know how it handles.

Return to “Kitesurfing”