Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Help setting up Hydro

Forum for kitesurfers
paulhaslett
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby paulhaslett » Fri Sep 06, 2002 10:43 am

hi just got a new Wipika hydro 9m and need some help setting it up. on the trailing edge wing tip were you conect the flying lines there is a small pulley what the hell is it for? are the lines meant to be threaded though this pulley?

cheers

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 06, 2002 11:07 am

That is where you connect the relaunch system, that is an option for Hydro.
You do not use the pulley without the relaunch system.
John

paulhaslett
Rare Poster

Postby paulhaslett » Fri Sep 06, 2002 11:19 am

thanks john, but out of interest what is the relaunch system?

lndpnt
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby lndpnt » Fri Sep 06, 2002 12:43 pm

the relaunch system is for literally backing the kite off the water when it's face down. totally unneccasary for the Hydro. Hydros relaunch easier than any kite.

btw- your instructor ( you do have an instructor?) should fill you in on all these details, and have you ripping it up without ......ripping it up
be safe/ Lane

bighenry
Rare Poster

Postby bighenry » Fri Sep 06, 2002 12:57 pm

The re-launch is a sort of added bridle to help launch the kite backwards off the water, at least I think so.

The thing about the hydro is that there seems to be little or no info about the hydro and any accessories. Also the instructions do not go into any technical detail.

As a start point just connect all the lines to the middle knot on the four pigtail kite attachment points. Pull the depower trim in all the way and fly the kite, once you get used to the throttle bar and the kite gradually release the trim to give the kite more power until you are happy.

Things I have discovered:

If you have the newer hydro you should have two attachment points on the trailing edge. When you want the kite to turn faster you can remove the rear pig tail and attach it to the other webbed attachment point that is about 5cm further in from the original web attachment point.

You can change the angle of the fairlead thing on the bar to change the amount of twist you apply to the bar in order the slide the bar up and down the chicken loop/depower strap.

You can increase the wind range of the kite by connecting the to the pigtails in different ways. For example for stronger winds you would connect to the knot closest to the kite on the leading edge and the knot furthest from the kite on the trailing edge.

I'm not the best at explaining things so just reply if anything is unclear.

Congrats on the hydro it is a good kite, shame about the supplied instructions.

P.S wha's happend to the BKSA forum, is it just me or is it down?

paulhaslett
Rare Poster

Postby paulhaslett » Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:40 pm

understood all of that, thanks to all.

i am having a lesson on sunday but i wanted to set the kite up before hand so not to waste time. I am also having problems with the BKSA forum it hasn't worked for 2 days on my computer.

cheers all

paul

bighenry
Rare Poster

Postby bighenry » Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:56 pm

Paul,

I need a favour, could you let me know the bar length supplied with your 9m hydro, is it 80cm or 65cm.

(I have an 80cm bar with my 11m Hydro and I want to add a 9m Hydro. I'd like to save some money and buy the 9m kite only and use the bar and lines from my 11m kite)

Also where did you buy the 9m hydro and how much? If you don't want to list the retailer then send me an email.

paulhaslett
Rare Poster

Postby paulhaslett » Fri Sep 06, 2002 2:09 pm

I am sure i have the big bar 80cm but i will check tonight and if any different will rewrite in this post.

I paid 675 all included for mine, from my local shop in Torquay, i prob paid a bit high but i know i can trust the guy to help out if there is a prob.

I know you can get them online from forceninekites cheap, but i do not know if you can pick the colour (if it makes a diff).

http://www.kitesurfing.co.uk/

Is the 9m and 11m a good match i am sure i read a thread somewhere saying they had close wind ranges and the 7 11 was a better match, i do not know as i am still a relative beginer.

bighenry
Rare Poster

Postby bighenry » Fri Sep 06, 2002 10:42 pm

Paul,

To get a 9m or 7m is a source of many sleepless nights. I have had lots of advice and decided to go with the 9m as many experienced people told me that at my weight I will hardly ever get to use the 7m once I become a better kitesurfer. The 11 and 9 are a little close together but it does mean I can always choose the perfect kite in 11-20knots, which is the majority of wind in the U.K coastal. I guess there will be an overlap but it should mean I won't have to choose between slightly overpowerd on the 11m or slightly underpowered on the 7m.

If I can get things nailed I'll probably add a 15m in a years time to complete the quiver, all could be sailed with the same bar and lines I think.

If things don't work out I may sell the 11m and get a 13m to go with the 9m.

I'd be grateful if you could confirm the bar length either way.

Cheers, Henry

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 07, 2002 2:12 am

G'day Henry,
I fly an 11.5 Hydro and 8.9 FreeAir. I use the 80 cm bar with both. I prefer the extra responsiveness this bar gives me on my smaller kite.
I do find there is a bit of an overlap with these two kites but I am pretty much covered for the 11 - 25 knot wind range. (My other half has a 7m Hydro I can use when it's blowing hard).FYI I ride a LW 169 and weigh 81kg. Cheers. Hope this helps.
Brad

Return to “Kitesurfing”