Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

SmartWatch research questions

Postby TomW » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:12 pm

Hi,
I'm researching the kitesurfer/near shore watersports user need for a SmartWatch with low bandwidth LTE connectivity with low power consumption and Long battery usage between charging.

What functions would it need to have for you?
1. While kiting
2. Everyday use.

Please refrain from telling me about apple watch 4 and other LTE android wear watches we have now or coming ( I already know).

Regards, Tom

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Re: SmartWatch research questions

Postby POACHER » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:52 pm

Tom,

You're an engineer for Sony correct?

I'm in the market for a smart watch and would love to give some feedback. Looked at the new Samsung galaxy but was really disappointed by having to use Samsung's smart watch apps and not android. The lte is only for t-mobile at present too. Deal breaker for me.

I would love the highest waterproofing possible for actually using it kiting without fear of saltwater intrusion. Wireless charging without flaps would be great. I wanted the Galaxy (lte) as it can make and receive calls with its built-in mic and speaker. Ideally I would use this for kiting and mountain biking without having to bring a phone but have a way to call for help if necessary.

Really do like the look of the Galaxy too, not overly sporto so casual enough for everyday use and not the size of toaster. (Fenix) The rotating multifunction bezel works nicely too. Need one that works with wet or gloved hands too.

Tough wish list I know.... I'm hoping some company makes this happen. Hit me up Tom if you need a beta tester!

JB

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:37 am

If you are a sony engineer. Just remake the SW3 for wearOS and stick a normal strap on it. Best watch ever!
I didn't mind the rubber flap - it worked well and being a standard micro usb was easy to find a charger in a bind - unlike the proprietary chargers most watches need.

Give me decent waterproof rating (IP68 min and with an ATM rating really, my SW3 is still going strong but I've had to replace other wearOs watches as they weren't waterproof enough) and possibly a GPS chip. Don't need a HR monitor - I can use a chest strap if I want one of those as they'll be more accurate anyway.
Quick charging would be a bonus.
Better than 24 hours battery is essential - the SW3 would get me 48 hours so I'd expect at least that much.
NFC and google pay would be useful.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:50 pm

Hi,

Thanks for feedback. This is actually a side project, might not lead anywhere. depends on feedback.
Actually- asking for feedback here is an experiment in itself.

appreciate any feedback on wishes and needs.

poacher- can you expand on your desire to "call for help if neccessary" ?

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:59 pm

Well, it’s never going to be a mass market but the things most would want would be fairly similar probably;
Good waterproofing you can trust
Long battery life, easy fast recharge
Screen that is readable on the water and does not lock up but can be used easily
Strap that holds through crashes
GPS & decent jump height accuracy (we are dreaming, right)
Use as phone (without having to carry a phone)
Syncs easily
Softwear & apps readily available (& customizable)
Mostly something durable that just works.

Anyone is welcome to add to this, just a start off the top of my head.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:57 pm

TomW wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:50 pm
Hi,

Thanks for feedback. This is actually a side project, might not lead anywhere. depends on feedback.
Actually- asking for feedback here is an experiment in itself.

appreciate any feedback on wishes and needs.

poacher- can you expand on your desire to "call for help if neccessary" ?
Yeah no problem. The guy at Best Buy said an LTE Galaxy with a normal mobile sim card will work as a stand alone phone. I would love that for when I'm riding mountain bike or kiting and need a pick up from a downwinder. Not having to bring a full size smartphone that costs $1300 would be great. Even just the functionality of being able to drop a pin (Google maps style) or some other emergency GPS location in case I'm hurt or need help would be very useful.
Just a month ago I crashed my bike and separated my shoulder. I was 6+ miles from my truck and had to ride back to get to the hospital. Had it been worse I would have had to call for help. Thankfully the phone in my pack wasn't destroyed.

GPS mapping capability would be cool. Not really high def maps, but track log recording for uploading to your computer is a function I'd like.

Any other input, please ask. I love tech when it pertains to the sports and works reliably.

JB

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Has thanked: 0

Postby foilonfoil » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:14 pm

- On water "walkie talkie" would be awesome paired to bluetooth headphones so you can speak to friends on the water. The s4 has a similar function but that watch is worth so much money, sort of afraid to use it.
- Yachting count down timer for racing.
- storage for mp3

I know when you load in a gps, battery life becomes an issue.

alunj
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Andulucia
Favorite Beaches: Viana , Fresh West, Le Morne
Style: Wave
Gear: Duotone, JP custom

Postby alunj » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:09 am

So reading the comments . Your best just making a cheaper version of the AW4 LTE

My AW2 survived well over 300 sessions . I’m hoping the 4 will follow. Being able to make a quick call is invaluable
For me it does everything asked for above . Perhaps linking up with the Woo or sessions guys to incorporate the tech they use to estimate jumps ?

fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR

Postby fun2kite » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:02 pm

for a near-shore smart watch this is what i need:

1. Long battery life to last all day while GPS tracking.
2. Ability to call for help on Cell phone to get help. My apple watch face is very hard to operate when wet. There need to be a preprogrammed hardware button I think. Pressing on screen with web hands, does not work well.
3. Walkie Talkie mode! (Apple Watch already has it. ) but it is only peer-to-peer. I would love to have a group Walkie Talkie for those downwinders or just talking to buddies while ridding.
4. integration with major apps so that can download and nicely display the route ridden.
5. Altimeter, accelerometer to replace need for WOO. And also an app that can display all the jumps , etc.
6. Solar recharging.. While riding the watch is exposed to sun, why not charge it while we ride.
7. emergency identification. Maybe watch can beam info to rescue operators about your name , phone, family, blood etc. if you are rescued and are unconscious ?
8. recoding of voice (voice recorder ). If you know you are not coming back, maybe can leave voice message to be heard after they find you.. (well this is very grim I know.. but just trying to come up with a use case)
9. Live display of current speed, max speed, Avr speed..
10. Tactile feedback, when you jump and make a daily record? (without having to look at the watch) maybe other types of feedback when reaching max speed etc.. ()configurable )
11. Weather reports, alerts of upcoming storm, etc.. (tactile or audio )
12. compass.
13. session timer.. (how long is a session, reminder to come-out to get rest etc. )
14. Shared GPS.. (you vs your buddies). Can wee your buddies speed , height for the session if using a particular App that basically records a shared session between friends in real time.
15. waterproof obviously and can withstand hard falls ..
16 bluetooth for music. must be able to play music while ridding to a headset.
17. able to play music from the watch.. (ie: download music to a watch)
18. Streaming music is a plus.. But probably battery drain.. I do stream on Apple Watch sometimes.
19. Watch should come with a waterproof nice headset.
20. sorry forgot. it should show time also :-) haha.

Hmm.. I think this should be enough feature requests?

Hope you can make this watch.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m