Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

X2 Wind range

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 08, 2002 7:43 am

I weigh 87kgs. The other night I was planning (and JUST staying upwind) with the 20m X2 on my 4'11" Mutant. A guy on the beach with a wind meter said it was reading 6-7 knots. I reckon it was more like 8-10...

I have definately kited in 8 knots with my 13.5 ARX before, but it was very flat water and I was working the kite like a madman.

You should be able to fly any LEI kite in 3-4 knots if the wind isn't too flukey. If you can get a big kite to Zenith and dive it straight down, you should be able to get planning on a big board in 7 knots or so. Staying up wind is another matter.

I reckon 12-14 is good with the 20.

These kites are fast, and can be depowered heaps. I have 10, 14 and now 20.

The 14 is a great kite, and I am impressed with the speed of the 20.

The 10 feels fast for me, I certainly wouldn't want an 8 unless the wind was very consistent.

Get a 10 & 14, or a 10 and 16.

DT

vestel
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby vestel » Sun Sep 08, 2002 9:08 am

Thanks guys for your inputs, sounds more like it to ride on minimum of 9-10knots for an 18 X2, I am sure that some of you did ride on much lighter winds but it was no fun then. It is worst recognizing that this forum is extremely efficient in spreading kite surfing interests and experiences. Thanks for the organizers.

Aloha,
Vestel out.

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 08, 2002 9:32 am

Further to my last post:

I just came in from a session with my 10m. It was averaging 27 knots, and for the last fifteen miniutes it was 32 with gusts to 35. (According to the local wind beacon which is pretty accurate). I was very powered up, but it was manageable on my small twin. I think I got the biggest air of my life.

Anyway - The 10 is as small as you need to go. These are very efficient kites and they depower heaps. Dont get an 8 unless you live somewhere super super windy. I can handle more wind with my 10m X2 than my old 7.5 AR5.

DT

Colona
Medium Poster

Postby Colona » Sun Sep 08, 2002 11:08 am

Vestel,

When you say kite set to maximum power, check that the kite is not oversheeted and in stall.

If you use the X2 bar and set the knots on the back lines to the third knot (C)(closest to bar) and do not using the chicken loop, the kite will be over sheeted.

Se manual for max power setting. (Arms fully stretched, almost fully sheeted out)

The X2 generates most power when sheeted out and moving. It is designed to fly off the front lines and does not work very well in a fixed harness loop. I don't even put a fixed loop on my bars and I have found that sheeting out gives heaps of power.

Also for jumping, I get MUCH more air flying the kite sheeted out and sending it from lower than usual and straight up above me NOT pulling in on the bar.

Bengan

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 08, 2002 3:44 pm

Thanks Bengan. Let me ask you this. If I'm using the line set up as you described (knot closest to bar) and then I want to check my line length, what should it be? Center lines are same length as outside lines? Center lines a little longer? Thanks for your help. I think my lines stretched or something and I'm trying to get things back right...

Colona
Medium Poster

Postby Colona » Sun Sep 08, 2002 3:52 pm

Hi,

If I get the time tomorrow I will set-up a new X2 bar and check.

I don't have those figures now and they are not in the manual as they were for the older kites.

Will get back soon.

Cheers,

Bengan

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Mon Sep 09, 2002 10:10 am

I can get going with my 12m X2 in 10 knots... 9 knots in real flat water.... haven't tested the upper range yet...

As for real light winds... 4-5 knots , heck I wouldn't even use an inflatable for this stuff.

These kites are fast and need a fast board and apparant wind to work best....

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

aklbob
Frequent Poster

Postby aklbob » Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:51 pm

Hey Blownaway, are you using the big 60cm bar that came with your kite? Do you find it too big when the wind is up to 20 knots? My back has had a relapse, so I'm out for longer still. Was out at Pt Chev on Sunday watching a guy with a 16m x2 with a smaller bar (45cm?) and he was going ok, but Lance was going off! Wasn't getting height, but doing backloops, spins, transitions tweaks, really cool...

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Tue Sep 10, 2002 12:22 pm

Yep I use the stock bar and I haven't found the kite too fast at all. Sure I haven't tried it in 20 knots yet but I've used it in 15 knots in the fast setting.... no probs.

The slow setting (back lines on inner attachment) makes the kite respond about the same as 11.5m ARX but more stable...

As for Lance.... when he gonna get his backside on this forum... how'd he like South Africa....

Has he got an X2 yet or is he gonna stick with his AR5 for the time being....

BLOWN AWAY :cool:

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Tue Sep 10, 2002 1:00 pm

Not sure if this is relevent, but when I kite inland I find the power is a lot less.

Not sure if this is the case here, but I can kite at the coast with a 6m foil in 10 knots, and I can't even get up inland on 13.

If its inland, the kite won't power as much

Return to “Kitesurfing”