Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

board repair advice please

Forum for kitesurfers
airmonkey
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby airmonkey » Sun Sep 08, 2002 7:13 pm

After a massive wipe out yesterday, I looked behind me to see my RRD directional floating 10 yards behind me.

Aaah I thought the leash must have broken. Nope, the circular piece of plastic with a bar in middle that secures the leash to the board was pulled clean out of the board. The end result is a hole at the tail end of the board.

I managed to retrieve the plastic leash plug that popped out and the board is over two years old so I was wondering what is the best way and what materials should I use to :

a) Secure the leash plug back into the board .

b)Patch up the board so any holes left are filled properly.

Never had to fix a board before so any advice much appreciated.

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 09, 2002 6:12 am

mix up some up epoxy resin with some gluing micro balloons. make sure board is dry, file groves into plug, and glue plug back into board. allow to cure about 24 hours.

John
http://www.kitesurfingnz.com

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 09, 2002 6:58 am

nice bit of self promo John... so when are you going to post some photo's from the weekend

airmonkey
Rare Poster

Postby airmonkey » Mon Sep 09, 2002 10:08 am

Thanks for the advice John - not sure what 'micro balloons' are though - what are they and where could I get them ?

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:32 pm

Hey ya big monkey...If you havn't done any resin work before the plug on a kitesurf board is a bad place to start. Get a surfboard repair guy to fix it for you. Then get some resin and fiberglass and start fixing the little dings on your boards. It takes alot of practice to repair things well and it would suck to fix your plug and have it rip out the next time something pulls on it. Nothing personal but fiberglassing stuff as you learn is the hard way to do it. Trust me I learned the hard way and now that I know how to repair things I still rather pay someone else than do it myself. PS tell me exactly what type of board from RRD you have before pouring epoxy resin into it as if it is a pollyester board the reisin will not cure and may damage the foam around the plug. ( the earlier RRD were pollyester. )
Aloha Royce.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Royce on 2002-09-09 15:36 ]</font>

airmonkey
Rare Poster

Postby airmonkey » Mon Sep 09, 2002 10:13 pm

Thanks Royce, that sounds like good advice - here's a couple of things I left out . .

a) its a 7 ft RRD Sandwich directional made in the year 2000
b) its a board I used for learning on and very rarely use these days - so I'm not keen to spend too much fixing it
c)The plug came out very neatly and should slot back in with a bit of glue ? (Not sure about what to secure it with). If this works it will only leave a small hole in the back end of the board that just needs a bit of patching up.

what do you think ? it would be good to hear your thoughts

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Tue Sep 10, 2002 1:28 am

The bummer about the plug, even if it is a neat fit to put back in is that it will take alot of strength to keep it there. You will have to grind grooves into the plastic, set it as the guy said with microballons ( a filler for the resin that makes it more glue like ), then sand an area with coarse sand paper around the plug and lay at least 2 layers of glass over the entire plug, you will have to rough up the plug to get the glass to stick to it. Just gluiong it will only be a very short term investment. I would be surprised anyone would charge more than $50 to do the job. It will probably cost you at least half that to get the stuff. Working with that stuff is worse than fixing your own transmission on yer Ferrari. Just think how much it would suck for the same thing to happen next time you go out.
Aloha Royce.

airmonkey
Rare Poster

Postby airmonkey » Tue Sep 10, 2002 9:19 am

Thanks Royce - I think I'll take your advice and take it to someone who knows what their doing. Otherwise it sounds like I'll spend some cash and f*!k it up anyway :smile:

Return to “Kitesurfing”