Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
IKR
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Has any one build a formica board??

Postby IKR » Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:52 pm

:idea: hey i was reading a mag and found about formica boards... i asume is just the outside or bottom layer, and the rest is made with foam and epoxy.... but.... what if you build the hole board with formica layers?? :?: just like a wood board, instead of using layers of ply just use layers of formica..... has any one tryed that? would that be 2 heavie?? i think if i build such a board... there is no need for painting, varnish, fiberglassing.. etc etc..... what do you think???

urbanr
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby urbanr » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:38 pm

If i'm not mistaken, the reason for using formica is, as you say, to bypass the sanding and painting steps. Formica btw is a trade name, the actual material you're referring to is High Pressure Laminate.

Having said that, Formica, just like fibreglass (after it bonds and hardends with epoxy resin), are both laminates. So really, you still need to fill your board with something that'll make it float - like foam.

You wouldn't build an entire board out of fibreglass would you? The same goes for a 100% formica board.

Think about it, your kitchen counter isn't made out of Formica, it's most likely made out of MDF and covered with Formica to give it the wood like or colour finish (it also protects the actual counter against moisture.)

There are other High Pressure Laminates, which are paper or even wood based... but you're getting into a lot of weight... a 6mm thick laminate doesn't even float.

hope this helps a little.

Return to “Gear Builders”