Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hold an edge

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 10, 2002 5:08 am

How is the best way to really hold an edge. When I'm overpowered in some situations when I want to edge my board (a 150 wakeboard) the board bounds in the water. What i'm doing bad?

Thanks.

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 10, 2002 9:14 am

The main thing is, kite low... as low as possible so it isn't lifting you off your edge at all...

After that it's up to correct foot presure which varys board to board - you said wakeboard so it probably needs lots of front foot.

Eventually though there is so much power it is impossible to keep your edge...

HTH
Callum

JMF
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby JMF » Tue Sep 10, 2002 9:16 am

Sounds like you have to much presure on your back foot but thats all board dependant I'm sure Ricki will put some input into this topic. Also if you are over powered keep the kite low to sheet it out. That could help but nobodys perfect remember you still have to contend with chop which tends to throw the best of riders off thier edges its just a matter of correcting and geting back onto your edge if that happens.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wipirider on 2002-09-10 10:20 ]</font>

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Mon Sep 16, 2002 4:29 pm

In flat water keeping the kite low is IMO the best way to handle overpowered conditions.

In choppy water it's easier to lose your edge and the wipeouts are pretty harsh with the kite low if you lose it.

With the kite too high it's hard to get edge pressure....

Also make sure you have a small board with hard thin rails...

BLOWN AWAY :evil:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Sep 16, 2002 4:45 pm

at a certain point it is not possible to edge at all, no matter what you do, since you are overpowered.

But if you have a lot of power, you can either fly the kite low to the window edge, depending on the water conditions (flat water).

One important point is that you shouldn't go too fast when you have a lot of pressure, because then you can't edge anymore. So if you feel too much power, stop your speed by edging or if you can't edge, use your bud to stop and then go slow again so you can edge again.

Since you use a wakeboard you have to use more the edge (middle) to stop the kite from pulling. If you use a kiteboard you should put more pressure to the end where the fins are to stop the kite.

Cheers
Toby

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Mon Sep 16, 2002 4:53 pm

Yep I second the rear end idea. Using your bum is a very very effective way to slow down. In overpowered conditions you don't need (or want) to go fast.

For jumping make sure your are edging hard while slowly raising your kite to a more overhead position. When you wanna jump then all you need to do is pop the board and the jump will be real floaty.

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon Sep 16, 2002 6:37 pm

One of the things I noticed when starting powered up is that if you try to go too much upwind straight away with a lot of pressure on your back foot you can make the board spin out. Bigger boards are more prone to this. If you've done much windsurfing you'll recognise the signs immediately, the board stops going forwards and slides across the water sideways. You can stop this by slowing down and going downwind then edging upwind again once you're back in control. Also fly the kite less violently, further towards the edge of the window and not straight down through the power zone when it's nicely powered up.
Jo

chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Mon Sep 16, 2002 8:29 pm

Stomp on the rear foot, dude! Create more baord drag in the water to slow you down. Also use the "butt technique" as others mentioned.

Or pop up and land. You'll slow down that way too, but you'll be downwind.

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 17, 2002 3:09 am

Thanks for all the responses. I try with a little more pressure in my front foot and the board rides way better (Cabrinha Spoiler) and don't have any kind of bounds with it in overpowered situations. I also agree that stomping the rear foot is a good way to stop the board. This is the best way to stop as fast as possible in a hurry? (ie. a brand new windsurfer in your way!)

Thanks in advance.

Mabu
Rare Poster

Postby Mabu » Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:15 am

I prefer to put the kite above my head. you will slow down & might even be pulled up a little bid when remained overpowered, but you'll have the time to depower your kite and wait untill the gust settles or you can easely detach yourself from your kite in the worst case.

when you keep the kite low and are unable to edge anymore because of too strong wind you can experience horifying wipe outs!!

any other opinions?

Return to “Kitesurfing”