Forum for kitesurfers
kruzlifix
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Baleia, Ceara, Brazil
Style: wave and HF
Gear: AHC, Firewire, Levitaz, Moses, Cabrinha, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kruzlifix » Tue Sep 10, 2002 7:38 pm

the prolimit spreader QR bar ist not the ultimate solution! For some reason not all have a goo functioning release system! My dealer had only one out of 5 working well.

Sake
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Sake » Tue Sep 10, 2002 9:33 pm

Get the Wipika 2002 safetysystem(Not 2001 because the pin bends and is therefore harder to pull) or equivalent from Maui-Magic.

I had to use it yesterday in windspeeds up to 22m/s(Windforce 8/9, measured by http://www.waterland.net/cgi-bin/measur ... plate=wind ) flying a Toro8. I was lifted and pulled the pin
->no strength needed and instant release!
Nice!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sake on 2002-09-10 22:35 ]</font>

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Wed Sep 11, 2002 2:39 am

That nifty green ball on the end looks like it would help release as well. Where do I find those?
It's a rope stopper ball from West Marine.

Morrow
Rare Poster

Postby Morrow » Thu Sep 12, 2002 10:02 pm

I had the spreader bar in my hands in the shop today. I found it very difficult to open the hook. Let alone opening it under full pressure. What is it with this thing....some hate it, some love it?

And this thing with the shackles, do they work or not?

Taco

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:15 pm

On 2002-09-12 23:02, Morrow wrote:
I had the spreader bar in my hands in the shop today. I found it very difficult to open the hook. Let alone opening it under full pressure. What is it with this thing....some hate it, some love it?

And this thing with the shackles, do they work or not?

Taco
Nothing is perfect, that's why we filled 4 pages talking about it.

You decide which you like best, or hate the least.

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 29, 2002 2:44 am

This is a important subject,I use a shackle but I am convinced that if it all when bad in a hurry I probaly could not manage to get out fast enough I was thinking of putting a longer release line on the shackle and looping it around the top of the chicken loop with a snap or vecro so the realese would be easier to locate although this is not a solution it may simplify the hunting which is what feeks me.

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 29, 2002 1:28 pm

IS their a pro-limit dealer in the UK?
Thanks

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 30, 2002 1:28 am

All I'm gonna say is Ocean Rodeo bar is all yer ever gonna need and that's everything. View in Surf expo photos or http://www.oceanrodeo.com and check the brochure. It is evolution at its finest.

phree
Medium Poster

Postby phree » Mon Sep 30, 2002 6:04 am

Like Dwight said, we've easily filled 4 pages (and then some) talking about all of this. Shackles, quick release spreader bars, improved control bars and leashes are all vital aspects of kite equipment that need to become more universally improved. Hopefully, industry is focusing more research and development on these critical issues and will soon give us better options. In the meantime, lets keep talking about how we can best use what we got.

It's worth repeating that if you're going to use a snap shackle, you might want to be sure your trim loop has a quick release on it. Then train yourself to use that, in case of emergency, instead of depending on a snap shackle's quick release.

Please see the new threads on New Control Bar/Safety Solutions from Wipika

and

New Control Bar/Safety Solutions from Ocean Rodeo

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 05, 2002 6:35 pm

This looks great! Thanks for the info on the mods. It looks like the Pro-limit spreader bar is the best solution available today. Where can you get them in the US?

Return to “Kitesurfing”