What is the best shapestyle board to make and learn with

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
H C
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What is the best shapestyle board to make and learn with

Postby H C » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:22 pm

Hello I am new to Kitesurfing and would like to build my own board.
I weigh 100 KG and am wondering what would be the better shapestyle board to make and learn on I could have a go and try to make a cheap directional but I think that I would prefer a big twintip.

Please bear in mind I have never been on a kiteboard I feel that I can body drag up wind and relaunche proficiently and spent a few minutes trying to get on a directional I think now that I need to spend time practising by myself and recon that the cost of a beginner board is nuts.

I am 6'4" and am wondering what length and with would be best then there is the pointed or double pointed or even square ends fins etc.

Thanks in advance
:oops:
Hugh

psa
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby psa » Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:27 am

my (80 kg) first board was 5' 10" x 1' 10" twin tip. Easy to start learning but soon I found out that it was too long (did not handle gusts and it was not fun to ride in strong winds). After 3-5 times I started to do smaller 5' x 1' 6" twintip. Volume (big fat boards) is not usefull in this sport.

I recommed 5'2" x 1'6". Big fins and take the outline from Airush square ONE. That should be good for learning and also good for light wind days in the future.

Return to “Gear Builders”