Postby curl2002 » Wed Sep 11, 2002 8:23 am

Who know about new kites?

aklbob
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby aklbob » Thu Sep 12, 2002 1:07 am

I reckon Wipika are going down the toilet, all the other major companies are beginning to release new kites already, nothing from Wipika, they have lost too many customers to recover.. except maybe in France? maybe they are living off the inflatable wing patent!!!

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:19 am

in the US they fired the distributor and now sell through a mail order guy

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:23 am

On 2002-09-12 02:07, aklbob wrote:
I reckon Wipika are going down the toilet, all the other major companies are beginning to release new kites already, nothing from Wipika, they have lost too many customers to recover.. except maybe in France? maybe they are living off the inflatable wing patent!!!
Wipika don't own the patent - bruno and his brother own the patent. They have been very carefull to keep the patent seperate from manufacturing. Wipika are license holders and thats all just like naish and others.

We don't see many new wipika's being sold around here - or takoons for that matter they use the same distributor and he;s a dickhead so thats probably why!

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 12, 2002 3:30 am

Actually the US distributor for Takoon also distributes for Gaastra and I have found him GREAT to deal with! Doesn't deal Wipika though.... And about Wipika, they went through major restructuring with key personnel but I wouldn't write them off...

Marina
Kitexcite

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 12, 2002 12:24 pm

It would be a shame if they shut down. I started on Wipi's and experienced some durability issues in the beginning but now I am on 2002 models. The 2002 AB's and Hydro's are great and no quality issues so far. I really like their accessory line too. (i.e. harness, bags, bars)
Flyin' HIGH in Philly

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Thu Sep 12, 2002 1:08 pm

I don't know about anywhere else but the Wipika's are pumping in South Africa with about 50% of the kites I saw in Durbs being Wipika. I don't ride them, but i saw the new colours (bladder colours are all different) which is slightly different to the previous ones and obviously an interim change until the official model is released. I wouldn't say not much is happening on development just because Naish and the likes use the press more, because we have seen updated bars which are very nice, so I would wait before speculating.

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 12, 2002 1:33 pm

Have heard that there will be an modified Wipi for 2003. (rumors). By the way is Takoon hard to get?? It's a great kite as far as I am aware off. Lots off hangtime and pressure; great wind range.But that my opinion. All the best to ya all.

JMF
Frequent Poster

Postby JMF » Thu Sep 12, 2002 1:43 pm

Thanks for the vote their MissionMan A.K.A Blacktip :grin:. I spoke to the Importer of the WIPIKA brand here in South Africa last weekend and there is definitely a line up for 2003 although he would'nt give details.

Here's hoping.......

marina
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Central Coast, California
Favorite Beaches: Central Coast, California
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Ventana, Mexico
Oregon Coast
Baja Pacific Side
Peru
Style: waves, jumping and wiggling
Gear: mixed
Brand Affiliation: mixed

Postby marina » Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:03 pm

RE: Wipika, have talked to the N. America distributor (also super great guy) and there is new stuff coming from Wipika for 2003. The new owner of Wipi is very wealthy and has been involved in extreme sports for awhile (produces UP paragliders, hangliders and accessories) so I think Wipika will still be a strong brand with product to stand behind the name. They certainly have the financial backing.

Return to “Kitesurfing”